GoPro HD3 October ??? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Micro / POV Camera Systems
Covering the GoPro HERO and other small Point-Of-View video cameras.

Old October 15th, 2012, 12:43 AM   #1
Major Player

GoPro HD3 October ???

Some Resellers are apparently taking orders for HD3 cameras.

Was confirmed and posted on a Resellers FaceBook Page and does read like a GoPro press release the way it's worded.

All Hero 3 cameras come WiFi enabled. They are 30% reduced in size, 25% less in weight, 2X faster, 2X more powerful and 2X better low light performance.

Silver Edition comes with 2 Quick Release mounts, 1 flat and 1 curved adhesive mount and 1 3-way pivot arm. $299.99

Black Edition comes with all of the above and the WiFi remote plus more. $399.99 (Moto / Surf / Outdoor Models)

The new LCD screen is a touch screen and and it works even with the waterproof backdoor.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SOUNDS INTERESTING and addresses some of the physical and technical drawbacks of the previous HD models and mounts.
Ian Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2012, 05:00 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: GoPro HD3 October ???

That's really interesting Ian.
I have a feeling there will not be any fixes for the Protune bugs for the existing HD2 owners.
Don Litten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2012, 09:32 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Interesting I sold all of my version 1 GoPros since I heard the same thing a month ago. I hope this is just not an area 51 post and it really happens.
Old October 15th, 2012, 12:54 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Yeah, just 2 days after I bought a HD2
Frank Glencairn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2012, 02:06 PM   #5
Regular Crew

lol, I'm one of those that just jumped into buying a GoPro but not disappointed to hear this. First of all I've only recently learned that GoPro's aren't great with deadlines so will probably be later than sooner, second of all loving my 24p (one of the major reasons I didn't get one sooner) and have plenty to play with till the new ones come out, and third the improvements sound great! Not to mention, compared to my other equipment, it's cheap! Not cheap for me mind you, but like I said comparatively! I also don't think I'll have a problem selling my HD GoPro 2 or just keeping it around just in case I need it =)

- Ray
Old October 15th, 2012, 04:20 PM   #6
Major Player

At this point I'm still treating the HD3 info very much as a rumor, the source deleted the info over nite, but there could be many reasons for that.
UPDATE - There was a reason, the retailer was told to take down the info in his FB page. The guessing game continues :-)

Last edited by Ian Newland; October 15th, 2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old October 16th, 2012, 12:03 PM   #7
Major Player

I guess we'll find out tonight. "The most epic news in GoPro history drops tonight. Ready to be blown away?" https://twitter.com/GoPro/status/258257283522379776
Matt Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2012, 02:03 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Yup, on their Facebook page too – I’ll be eager to see what they did, but I can’t imagine that it will entice me to buy another one this quick.
Jason Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2012, 03:37 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Here we go:

So... Apparently these are the details/spec for the brand new GoPro Hero 3 to be released soon. Black edition sounds rad, 120fps @ 720p.

"The HD Hero 3 is a huge step ahead of the HD Hero 2. People are going to love these cameras. We will offer three models; the HD Hero 3 White Edition, Silver Edition and Black Edition. We will have three price points, and all three models have WiFi Built into them. They all share a new form factor which is the same rectangular shape (which lends itself to be mounted anywhere, including the Chest), but it's much thinner than the HD1/ HD2. The HD Hero 3 + Backpack is the size of todays camera by itself. All three models will come shipped with the new housing which incorporates an underwater lens into the housing and an improved locking latch. The camera needs to work as well under the water as above the water since it's waterproof. We did have to go to the Micro SD Card format since SD Card Trays are way to big for this camera. There are ton of other improvements; I'll send out a Camera Comparison Sheet once we have that and are allowed to send images.

Camera Line Up:

HD Hero 3 White Edition - $199 Retail. This is basically an HD Hero 1 Camera (5mp photo sensor, etc.) that includes WiFi, dive lens and the new, thinner form factor. Available 10/21/12 to ship.

1080/30, 960/30, 720/60
5MP Photo
3 shots 1 second photo burst
WiFi Built in
Improved Housing (locking latch / dive lens)

HD Hero 3 Silver Edition - $299 Retail. This is your HD Hero 2 camera with WiFi built in, new form factor and improved housing. Available 10/21/12 to ship.

1080/30, 960/48, 720/60
11MP Photo
10 shots 1 second photo burst
WiFi Built in
Advanced Features / Capture (Protune and White Balance)
Improved Housing (locking latch / dive lens)

HD Hero 3 Black Edition - $399 Retail. This is brand new technology with incredible new settings. Available mid to late November to ship.

4K/15, 2.7K/30, 1440/48, 1080/60, 960/100, 720/120
12MP Photo
30 shots in 1 second (plus many more burst settings where you can control how many shots in the burst and how long the burst lasts)
WiFi Built in
Remote Control Included (only on this model - remote is $79.95 by itself) - if you net out the price of the remote, the Black Edition is only $20 more than the Silver Edition.
Advanced Features / Capture (Protune, White Balance, Continuous Photo, and Picture in Video - PIV capabilities)
Improved Housing (Locking Latch / Dive Lens)
Frank Glencairn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2012, 05:07 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Cool,

No to pre order.
Old October 16th, 2012, 05:33 PM   #11
Major Player

There's pictures on the net now in actual use, the smaller size pleases me immensely as does the DR
Attached Thumbnails
GoPro HD3 October ???-image.jpg  

Last edited by Ian Newland; October 16th, 2012 at 06:36 PM.
Old October 16th, 2012, 05:35 PM   #12
Major Player

Another pic lower left corner
Attached Thumbnails
GoPro HD3 October ???-image.jpg  
Old October 16th, 2012, 06:28 PM   #13
Major Player

Still awful audio probably, as there's no mention of it.
Lynne Whelden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2012, 06:34 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne Whelden View Post
Still awful audio probably, as there's no mention of it.
Who cares Lynne , just look at the Dynamic Range in those two shots, if you know what I'm talking about, audio can be non existent as far as I'm concerned. You're waiting for a feature that has low priority and hard to implement correctly even on VDSLRS.

Last edited by Ian Newland; October 16th, 2012 at 07:37 PM.
Old October 16th, 2012, 07:22 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Am I missing something? I'm not seeing 24p which is why I hadn't bought a GoPro till last month. They wouldn't wait this long to finally add it to Hero 2 and then not have it on 3 ... right? I gotta be overlooking something.

- Ray

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems