GoPro Hero3 vs Hero2 Comparison & Review - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Micro / POV Camera Systems
Covering the GoPro HERO and other small Point-Of-View video cameras.

Old November 11th, 2012, 11:16 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: GoPro Hero3 vs Hero2 Comparison & Review

I didn't initially see any freezing, but after enough use, I am confident you eventually will.

The reduced battery life when using protune is not surprising when you consider the increased data rate of the video write to the card.

Please let me know in a few weeks if you still haven't seen the freezing problem.

Here is a video explanation of the problem as I understand it...
Alan Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 04:20 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Thanks Alan and everybody. I had a good read around on the GoPro forums out there on the web last night and it seems like the issue explained in the video above is a very big issue for many. Sure, I know many people only post on forums 'when they have a problem' but for sure I'm now not going to buy a Hero 3 Black until I've read of a GoPro firmware fix that's proven by customers subsequently having Hero 3 cameras (and 2s!) that no longer freeze.

Hero 3 Black features in the specs sound great - but the last thing I need is unreliable gear that I can't trust 100%.
Old November 12th, 2012, 07:44 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Has there been no official announcement from gopro regarding this issue? Can't believe they where not aware about something this obvious. Maybe they should take an example from BMC, they at least give very detailed inside info about their sensor issues and what they are doing to fix the problem, that's creating trust.

I was thinking of getting a gopro 3 as well but sure will wait long enough until it's confirmed that the problem is solved.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 08:50 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Well said Noa... that is my feeling exactly.
There is some hope that the latest firmware has fixed the problem, but only time will tell.
I too am surprised that gopro is not communicating and setting a level of trust.
Old November 12th, 2012, 09:04 AM   #20
Major Player

This is disappointing. I've waited to update my Hero2 firmware because I was concerned about the bitrate and the camera's ability to handle it without issues such as overheating. After waiting 6 months since the NAB announcement for its "summer" release and it has bugs. Aye...

I love the new optics on the 3 and the detail is much better, but like others say I need this to always work since the GoPro is basically a set it and forget it camera. Mine is always mounted to something so I can't worry about whether or not its actually recording an uncorrupted file.

Hopefully GoPro sorts this out soon.
Chris Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 05:33 PM   #21
Major Player

The official Android app is now available on Google Play via GoPro's site :- )

Not for Hero 3 as yet but it works with my Hero 2.

Pete
Peter Riding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2012, 11:08 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Ha! Yup, mine is constantly freezing up and I have to remove the battery to get it to work again. Total bummer! I would actually not even mind to try to learn to perform ‘color correction’ with the Protune files, but the combination of issues makes me consider rolling mine back too. I certainly wouldn’t depend on it like it is for anything very important.
Jason Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2012, 12:42 PM   #23
Regular Crew

My initial testing suggests that the freezing bug may have been fixed in the hero3's latest firmware, but time will tell. But, the latest firmware for the hero2 has the freeze bug and the only way to fix it is to revert to an earlier firmware. I post how to do that on my site Panofish Blog
Old November 13th, 2012, 05:52 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Riding View Post
The official Android app is now available on Google Play via GoPro's site :- )

Not for Hero 3 as yet but it works with my Hero 2.

Pete
I downloaded it on my phone and other then being about to turn my Hero2 on and off nothing else works for me. No preview other than a black screen and freezing with "goPro is not responding" messages. Very disappointing to say the least.
Hart Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2012, 06:19 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Is that on a Hero2 ?? Have you updated the firmware etc, etc?? Mine certainly works fine and previews fine too on my Huawei Andriod phone ...Might be worth a try to turn Protune off and see if that is causing the problem??

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2012, 07:08 PM   #26
Regular Crew

ProTunes is turned off and I have the latest firmware. Yes to Hero2. Works fine on my iPad but not my Droid Razr. Just wish there was not a three second delay on the preview on the iPad.
Hart Boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2012, 07:10 PM   #27
Regular Crew

I installed the latest firmware (available Nov 12, 2012) for the Hero3 and so far I am not able to replicate the freezing problem. When it starts in auto-on mode... there is a noticeable pause in the blinking of the led and the timer count, but it doesn't freeze.

The latest firmware for the Hero2 will cause freezing and the only solution is to wait on a firmware update that fixes the Hero2 or reverse your firmware to an earlier reliable version. I post that process and the firmware on my site at Panofish Blog
Old November 14th, 2012, 05:51 AM   #28
Inner Circle

I noticed on my Hero 2 that it stops recording after a few minutes with ProTune turned "on". Battery still has power remaining.

With ProTune turned "off" it will record until the battery is exhausted.
Old November 14th, 2012, 06:41 AM   #29
Inner Circle

Hi Dean

That might be firmware?? I shot a wedding with Protune on and the camera ran for around 45 minutes (the card was full !!!) However the footage didn't seem any different at all so I reverted to the next wedding with Protune off and the footage was much the same ..in both instances it never stopped recording. Now, when I fitted the WiFi Remote the camera ran for exactly 13 seconds and froze ..with or without Protune so they replaced the complete kit and now it's fine!!

Sounds definately like a software bug to me!!

Chris
Chris Harding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 08:27 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Lilly View Post
After I updated my hero2 to the protune firmware... it worked for quite a long while without freezing, but it did eventually succumb to the problem. I am using a sandisk class 10 card and tried the reformatting and other ideas to no avail. I am confident the firmware is to blame.
Oops, I spoke too soon, my hero3 with the newest firmware from Nov 12. version HD3.02.00,95 DID NOT fix the random freezing at start of recording. I am still experiencing this random freezing which is sympomatically the same as my hero2 freezing until I reverted the firmware to the pre-protune version of the firmware.
Alan Lilly is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems