GoPro Hero3 Freezing Problem - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Micro / POV Camera Systems
Covering the GoPro HERO and other small Point-Of-View video cameras.

Old February 16th, 2013, 11:34 AM   #16
Trustee

Re: GoPro Hero3 Freezing Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
As I mentioned in my other post. Changing to using the GoPro charger has solved my problem. Still have some issues in getting the remote to work consistently but think that may be my finger problem!!!!

Ron Evans
As mentioned, the Wi-Fi remote was working on the first Hero3 but ceased to pair after the 2nd day. GoPro tech support was prompt to respond, but rather than have me go through a bunch of troubleshooting, seemed to hint of an awareness of a problem in the Wi-Fi and suggested that I would need to send it in for repair. I doubt it is a problem with your finger.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2013, 02:38 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Yes I think I have now decided there is a problem with the WiFi. If I start in sequence, WiFi on, camera on, then remote on. Things work fine to start and stop many time without lockup. If I use remote to switch power off it turns off the camera and remote and leaves WiFi running as I would expect. Sometimes powering up the remote will also power up the camera but most not and then the camera is locked until the battery is removed. There seems to be no way to power down without a lockup. Until I try to power down camera runs fine. I have sent message to support to see what they say. Manually operating the camera without WiFi it works fine without lockup so I think the issue is the WiFi. Same thing happens if I use my Sony Xperia T to control.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2013, 09:53 AM   #18
Trustee

Mine exhibits identical behavior as you just described, Ron. You nailed the explanation. There also seems to be a third FOV mode not accessible from the camera or the remote. For example, I can choose a wide or medium fov but the only way to access the narrow setting is using the Android GoPro App.
Old February 20th, 2013, 10:14 AM   #19
Inner Circle

An update to my problem. Got a fast reply from Chris in support, very helpful. He first asked me to manually update the firmware which I did but still had a problem when I skied yesterday though batteries were getting low and it was cold too. So then asked me to do the following. 1. remove SD card, 2 remove and replace the battery, 3 start the camera, 4 this may take several tries of 2 and 3 to get the camera to start. Mine did on the first time. I have now tried for over 25 cycles of switching on and off via the remote and it has worked every time so far. Will keep trying later today too . He said that if that didn't solve the problem then I would need to arrange for a replacement. I am off out West again skiing next week so do not want to do that until after I come back if I still have the problem. So far today the problem has not come back !!!

You may want to try this Tom

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2013, 09:34 PM   #20
Trustee

Thanks Ron. This 3rd unit, although the best of the bunch is still glitchy, but more or less manageable. It pairs with both the remote and the android phone, and mostly allows me to pass control between them without freezing as long as the power cord is left on. Powering cycling it mostly works too. The keyword of course, is "mostly" because it's not every time dependable, but well...mostly livable. The most recent problem that cropped up is that it will sometimes just stop recording by itself. Now that is bad. By just switching off the Wi-Fi and operating it from the built-in switches, it hasn't done that anymore for the last two days. For now, I'm just using it as a dash cam, (in case I get lucky with a meteorite). :-)
Old February 21st, 2013, 10:50 PM   #21
Inner Circle

For the last two days I have run the GoPro switching on first at the camera then always from the remote just recording one clip then shut down from the remote, power up from the remote and continue this cycle when I have had a few moments during the day. It works until there is just one bar shown as the battery level on either the camera or the remote then it takes time to start up from the remote and eventually freezes, usually after about 40 clips/cycles. Likely not enough power to run the WiFI as well as everything else!!!! I can live with that now I know what will happen. Still think there is a problem with the WiFi firmware or camera firmware that manages response to battery power level. The camera should give a warning then shut down not freeze in my mind I would find that acceptable when the battery runs down. Maybe we will get another firmware update soon !!!! While on ski trip a couple of weeks ago I also just ignored the remote and the camera worked just great with no freezes or problems. Issue is definitely with the WiFI somehow. Just like my Sony cameras the Go Pro likes the memory to be formatted in the camera. I did this for all my cards and then copied the latest firmware from the PC to these cards. Seems to give the best results so far.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems