DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Micro / POV Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/micro-pov-camera-systems/)
-   -   GoPro Hero3 Freezing Problem (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/micro-pov-camera-systems/512050-gopro-hero3-freezing-problem.html)

Alan Lilly November 11th, 2012 11:07 PM

GoPro Hero3 Freezing Problem

Here is the freezing issue explanation... so keep that in mind when buying a new hero3...

Charles W. Hull November 16th, 2012 12:27 AM

Re: GoPro Hero3 Freezing Problem

Finally got my Hero3 Black delivered from GoPro yesterday. I'm not having any lockups after quite a few clips with and without Protune. All the clips are around two minutes.

When I did the product update the utility said I already had the latest software, so I don't know the s/w date or version number.

I'll try much longer clips over the weekend and see what happens.

Greg Bellotte November 16th, 2012 01:27 AM

I've had my Black Edition for almost two weeks. I did the firmware update right out of the box, it still says it is the most current firmware. I have not experienced any charging or freeze up issues so far. I have recorded clips as long as 25 minutes, in both 720P60 and 1080P30 formats. I have not tried ProTune yet. The WiFi remote works very well, although it did take several tries to pair it successfully with the camera.

I have noticed only two things not up to par so far...

1. The time-date on the recorded files are not correct. If I record a clip, then open the card in Finder, the clips have yesterdays date and a time about 14 hours prior to the actual recording event. This is making logging scenes a bit challenging. Yes, the gopro clock is set correctly :-)

2. The battery shows only one bar remaining after less than an hour of shooting. I am hoping the gas gauge hasn't calibrated yet. If the gauge is correct I will not make it to 90 minutes of battery life. Too new to know for sure yet...but my H2's go 2.5 hours most of the time.

Alan Lilly November 16th, 2012 08:16 AM

After talking to gopro support, I have concluded that my hero3 is part of a bad batch. I sent it in for exchange and we'll see if the freezing is gone on the new one. Another symptom I ALWAYS saw on mine was a hesitation. I set mine to auto-on mode and when I turn it on, the led starts blinking and the counter starts counting the seconds, BUT at 2 seconds, the camera seems to hang for 2-3 seconds and the led and counter resume at 5 seconds. The video appears fine once downloaded from the camera. Intermittently, this hesitation would never resume, hence the freezing.

Mike Dulay November 17th, 2012 11:12 AM

Got a Hero 3 Black Edition yesterday, so far so good. I noticed a bit of hesitation the first time I hit record but it's been consistently working since. I haven't patched, the java tool for update didn't work with my firefox, its whatever came with the unit. I'm using 720p 120fps with Protune turned on, my memory card is a samsung class 10 micro-sd that worked great on a TF300.

Ironically, it was my Hero 2s that froze on me. I took out the battery like recommended. What I've noticed, if I hold down the power button for too long (more than 3 seconds) and cause it to change from video to photo mode immediately after power on it to hung. It did freeze up for a while before protune firmware as well, so it must be an old power-up bug. Once I figured out the timing its been powering off and on without a hitch so far. It also still works in 3D mode with Protune. I have a Transcend and Patriot class 10 on each. Both cameras are setup for 720p 60fps.

Steve Maller November 22nd, 2012 11:26 PM

I'm not 100% sure that my situation could be characterized as "freezing".

In my case, when I'm trying to record in 1080T60 (1080P 60fps with Protune enabled), it'll generally record for 2-3 seconds, then just stop (as though I'd hit the record button again).

As I'm using it on a quadcopter, that's a big problem as I've made many a flight only to find the camera stopped just seconds into a flight.

I'm using the SanDisk Ultra class 10 HC 1, which I thought was the fastest card out there. And I have two of them, and it happens with both of them.

Alan Lilly November 22nd, 2012 11:44 PM

If you have to remove the battery to reset and make the camera usable again... then it is the same "freezing" problem I was demonstrating.

Harry Pallenberg November 23rd, 2012 02:07 PM

I've recorded a few 20+ minute clips in 1080 and 720 at 24, 30, 60 and 120 fps - no problems....

BUT last night I was doing a timelapse - 1 pic(7mb) every 2 seconds... and it froze after 1262 photos...

had to pull the battery.

Marco Wagner November 23rd, 2012 02:49 PM

Got mine Wednesday. Out of the box it had a couple freezing issues but I found that my PCs front USB ports weren't fully compatible as far as charging it. This may have caused some initial issues as I plugged it in to my PC right away to start charging. I pulled the and reset the battery, did the in-browser update, and watched it reboot a couple times while updating. Now it works flawlessly but will only charge from outlet or rear usb ports (something to consider if you are having any issues). I've captured photos, video in all res's and fps, and connected the wifi remote. So far it works perfect now. Off to run some more footage tests!!!

Renton Maclachlan November 24th, 2012 01:13 AM

I have a hero 2 and it isn't recognised via usb 3 ports...

Harry Pallenberg November 24th, 2012 11:53 AM

Was recording this time lapse of T-Giving dinner with Hero3 Black and it was my first freeze. After 1262 photos (7MB) 1 photo every 2 seconds - it hung. I did not notice right away as I was eating / hosting - but had to pull the battery to reset it.

Tim Bradley January 23rd, 2013 04:13 PM

I got my Hero 3 black in December and have no issues so as far as I can tell the issue has been sorted.

Tom Roper February 15th, 2013 03:30 PM

I got my Hero 3 two days ago. It has the freezing problem. It also stopped communicating with the Wi-Fi remote. I made repeated attempts to pair it again, but unsuccessful. The Android App continues to work fine, and it makes good video, but I'm returning it for exchange.

Ron Evans February 15th, 2013 05:14 PM

As I mentioned in my other post. Changing to using the GoPro charger has solved my problem. Still have some issues in getting the remote to work consistently but think that may be my finger problem!!!!

Ron Evans

Tom Roper February 16th, 2013 11:27 AM

The retailer exchanged my Hero 3, and the replacement unit was utter junkware. I took it back for a refund and he told me they had just received a new shipment, so I tried a third time. Third time is the charm, worlds better so far. It paired successfully right away with both the Wi-Fi remote and the GoPro Android App for my phone. I do have the 12vdc auto charger however it will still freeze upon occasion, but it always is related to some combination of circumstances, switching between Wi-Fi sources and power cycling. At least it does not freeze up while recording.