The politics of Sony firmware updates... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems

Micro / POV Camera Systems
Covering the GoPro HERO and other small Point-Of-View video cameras.

Old November 20th, 2012, 07:03 AM   #1
Major Player

The politics of Sony firmware updates...

...or any other company, I suppose.
Does anyone know how Sony goes about doing firmware updates. Do they announce it after the fact? Or is it done behind the scenes and suddenly someone discovers "something's different?"
I'm curious because various discussions regarding the Action Cam referenced issues with a "blue cast" on the pictures, or the sky being too blue, or excessive pixellation. The users "wished for" a firmware response from Sony. But would we know if it's ever done (assuming Sony even notices or cares)?
Lynne Whelden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2012, 09:02 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: The politics of Sony firmware updates...

Generally speaking, its pretty well known in advance if a firmware update is coming from Sony, the rumor sites are pretty good about the date, just not everything being addressed. We had advance warning about the recent FS100, A77 and Nex7 updates. Some fixes were known, some were surprises and some weren't addressed much to the dismay of the owners. Can't please everyone I guess.
Chris Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2012, 11:51 AM   #3
Major Player

Is there a Sony site that posts these fixes or is it strictly via rumor mills?

My guess is that the Action Cam, inexpensive as it is, is very low on their list of priorities.
Lynne Whelden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2012, 03:17 PM   #4
Regular Crew

My experience also owning a VG-10 and a FS-100 is Sony is actually pretty good about that. I really wouldn't expect a firmware update for the action cam though till next spring or summer if they do one. The strength of the blue channel is easy to manage in post but the white balance I believe should warrant a change in firmware.

After keeping up with the GoPro3 threads it seems they have left the door wide open for Sony to take what ever market share they want, so their is incentive to do something.
Woody Sanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2012, 06:12 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Go to Sony.com, and drill down on technical support for whatever your model #, if there's an update, it'll be there with instructions under available software. The rumour sites seem to pick up the updates as they show up on Sony sites worldwide at slightly different times...

Not a lot of politics with Sony, they just issue updates when they get to it, no fanfare, and unless you're "clued in", you might never even know there's one available!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2012, 06:02 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I beg to differ about the EX1/EX1R 1.30 update. No one was informed other than some Sony service locations and it was quietly released into the wild. Only source at the moment is Sony UK, since the Sony US site is still stuck on 1.20 for the EX1R and 1.26 for the EX1.

I self-updated from 1.20 to 1.30 and am now running 1.30 on my EX1R. However, I have never heard of any case where the supposed "XQD support" in 1.30 is actually put into practice.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems