GoPro Hero 2 doesn't like 64-Gig card at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems

Micro / POV Camera Systems
Covering the GoPro HERO and other small Point-Of-View video cameras.

Old January 12th, 2013, 02:55 AM   #1
Inner Circle

GoPro Hero 2 doesn't like 64-Gig card

I was experiencing weird problems, such as the date/time of the recorded file being several hours off from the time set on the camera. Another problem was the GoPro not being "seen" through the USB port of my Mac. And it would stop after recording just 7.5 minutes when using ProTune.

Apparently it's all because I was using a SanDisk Ultra 64 GB Class 10 card. This is the micro SDHC that uses an SDHC adapter.

When I switched to a 32 GB card everything worked just fine. The Mac can see the GoPro. The date and time are correct on the recorded files. And ProTune records until the battery goes out.
Old January 12th, 2013, 08:47 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: GoPro Hero 2 doesn't like 64-Gig card

Strange that a 64GB card worked in a Hero2 at all, because to my knowledge this camera supported SD and SDHC only, but not SDXC. And a 64GB card has to be SDXC, as SDHC is limited to a maximum of 32GB. So if you should really have a 64GB card labelled as "SDHC", it can't be a legit card. Sure it's not a counterfeit one with maybe less capacity and speed than it pretend? This could explain the short recording time.
Bernd Eller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2013, 09:57 AM   #3
Inner Circle

The SDHC spec stops at 32 gig. If you have a 64 gig card it will be SDXC.

The Hero2 supports only SDHC.
Old January 12th, 2013, 10:02 AM   #4
Regular Crew

At the GoPro site in the FAQ, it specifically mentions that the Hero takes up to 32 GB SDHC cards. SDHC cards top out at 32 GB. SDXC cards go all the way to 2 TB. Therefore a 64 GB card is SDXC or microSDXC. Apparently the Hero is not compatible with SDXC, but hopefully that will be remedied in future versions. I am using a Sony GW77, which uses microSDHC cards, and I have been using the Sandisk 64 GB microSDXC cards with it with no problems using a MacBookPro Retina. Sony is mum on the GW77 specifications about SDHC or SDXC, but I imagine that most newly minted cameras/camcorders would be compatible with SDXC.
David Sholle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2013, 09:34 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Thanks for the info -- at least the cards will become useful when I get the GoPro Hero 2 Black.

The card I tried is the Sandisk SDXC 64 GB. A "real" one.

For my GoPro Hero 2 I'll get the 32-GB SDHC cards from Costco. They're available at a very good price.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems