DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Micro / POV Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/micro-pov-camera-systems/)
-   -   Upgrading to Hero 3 Black (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/micro-pov-camera-systems/514778-upgrading-hero-3-black.html)

Alan Maughan March 5th, 2013 06:39 AM

Upgrading to Hero 3 Black

Guys,

I currently have a Hero 2 and am considering the upgrade to HD3 Black for a number of reasons but Im reading so many bad reviews about locking up and the WiFi packing in.

Are they really this bad and should I trade up or stay put for now until things are sorted?

Thanks

Alan

Alan Maughan March 7th, 2013 05:05 AM

Re: Upgrading to Hero 3 Black

144 views and nobody has an opinion?

Damian Heffernan March 7th, 2013 06:18 AM

only had my black for a couple of days. No freezes or crashes so far. Out of the box I went to the website to download any software updates but it said it was already on the latest version. I haven't used protune yet. The wifi seems ok, chews the battery though.

Tom Roper March 7th, 2013 09:47 AM

I've exchanged 2 already. Number 3 is going back for exchange from the factory. They've all worked, but the freezing problem is widespread.

Erick Munari March 7th, 2013 10:58 AM

I got one last week, used a couple of times, it froze when it was plugged to the computer while charging. I had to take the battery off, then it worked. Haven't used much yet since then.

Alan Maughan March 8th, 2013 02:30 AM

I cant say the comments so far have inspired me to make a purchase - how can GoPro get things so wrong and not resolve these issues quickly????

Crazy.

Dean Sensui March 8th, 2013 03:43 AM

I bought one the other week. So far so good. Took it out on the boat yesterday to do some test shots and it worked just fine.

Battery life is a bit weird. I was able to get it to run continuously for 4.5 hours with a second battery. But now I'm just getting 2.5 hours. Same batteries. No extensive charge cycles.

I know WiFi can shorten battery life. But the endurance tests were conducted with WiFi turned off.

Eugen Oprina March 9th, 2013 12:23 PM

I have two Blacks and use them with protune and 2,7 K.
Used them on three jobs and didn't fail so far.
I used them both with RC remote and Iphone app.
I use them with the additional battery. I never charge from computer.
Charging the additional battery attached to the camera doesn't work I have to charge it separately.
The three jobs where on car races and winter olympic sports.

Les Wilson April 16th, 2013 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Sensui (Post 1783143)
...Battery life is a bit weird. I was able to get it to run continuously for 4.5 hours with a second battery. But now I'm just getting 2.5 hours. Same batteries. No extensive charge cycles....

I see the battery pack is getting thrashed on the GoPro website reviews. I realize the freezing was firmware but has the battery life settled down? I would think the battery pac easier to make fast battery changes. You OK with just swapping batteries?

Michael Sims April 25th, 2013 02:27 PM

I've had my Hero 3 for two days and its locked up twice. Had to remove the battery both times to fix it. I updated the firmware today. Hopefully, no more lock ups.

Bryce Comer April 25th, 2013 08:42 PM

I haven't had a single lock up since updating the software. Only done a couple of hours with it since updating but so far so good.
Bryce

Chris Sgaraglino April 25th, 2013 09:25 PM

I have 2 Blacks, 2 HD2 and HD1 - I only mention this because I use all three and there are differences. However - sticking to the question, I have only had one lockup issue in a month. Battery life sucks, but what I learned is that the Backpacks that I have for the HD & HD2 work on the 3 as well as the LCD.

I use the Battery BackPac when I am using the WiFi and I have yet to run out of battery during a shoot.

The only real issue I have is with Adobe CS6 - when I am shooting 120fps - adobe only recognizes 60fps - so the audio is twice as fast. If audio is nit needed - then your good.

Most everything I shoot is action sports - so I have not experienced with the higher resolutions yet.

John Forsythe April 26th, 2013 06:51 AM

I had a mystery lock up the other day when getting data off and charging. I'm pretty sure though I have damaged mine with excessive heating due to filming in a glass studio. I cannot afford a camera that I can use different lenses with so getting up close and personal to a subject that is radiating hundreds of degrees of heat probably is not doing it any favors. I film at 2k@30fps

My theory about the freezing is excessive heat build up. My camera will shut off when after filming glass blowing. I put it in a freezer for about 10mins and it starts back up again.

I had no problems with the camera locking up while it was mounted to my canoe this past winter filming numerous whitewater runs. Just battery life issues that seem better in the glass studio.

My perception is that the small form factor makes the gopro3 excessively vulnerable to huge temperature issues.

Soon I am going to modify a water proof case to let me connect a solar panel to it. I am going to do a timelapse until the memory card is filled or the camera shuts off. I imagine it will freeze because of the higher late spring temperatures.

Rob Morse April 26th, 2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Sgaraglino (Post 1792598)
The only real issue I have is with Adobe CS6 - when I am shooting 120fps - adobe only recognizes 60fps - so the audio is twice as fast. If audio is nit needed - then your good.

Have you tried right clicking on the clip in the project panel, click on modify, then interpret footage and then where it says assume frame rate, change the frame rate to 120. I've never tried it, just an idea.

Rob Morse April 26th, 2013 10:07 AM

I've only used my Hero 3 on 2 projects but had no issues at all.