Hero 2 bacpac on a Hero 3 - Issue at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems

Micro / POV Camera Systems
Covering the GoPro HERO and other small Point-Of-View video cameras.

Old March 20th, 2013, 09:35 AM   #1
Major Player

Hero 2 bacpac on a Hero 3 - Issue

At first I was pleased I could use my Hero 2 bacpac on my Hero 3 Black. The battery indicator on the Hero 3 LCD even divides up into 6 segments instead of the usual 3 when the pac is connected.

However, after much testing I found out why my Hero 3 would suddenly switch off when recording after a few minutes. It was due to the hero 2 bacpac. Take that off and it records in any format until the battery runs out. I am using a Sandisk 64gb class 10 BTW with latest firmware.

I really need to record longer than the battery will allow so looks like I'm resigned to paying for an official hero 3 bacpac and cant make use of the hero 2 one which is a shame, especially as the new bacpac is very expensive.

I'd like to confirm with anyone who can, that the hero 3 bacpacs do work as supposed to and my problem is limited to my hero 2 one and not anything else?

Thanks
Dan Burnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2013, 07:39 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Hero 2 bacpac on a Hero 3 - Issue

I've used my old battery backpac on the Hero3 Black a few times with no problem. I was not using the remote though.

Gordon
Gordon Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2013, 08:36 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Burnap View Post
At first I was pleased I could use my Hero 2 bacpac on my Hero 3 Black. The battery indicator on the Hero 3 LCD even divides up into 6 segments instead of the usual 3 when the pac is connected.

However, after much testing I found out why my Hero 3 would suddenly switch off when recording after a few minutes. It was due to the hero 2 bacpac. Take that off and it records in any format until the battery runs out. I am using a Sandisk 64gb class 10 BTW with latest firmware.

I really need to record longer than the battery will allow so looks like I'm resigned to paying for an official hero 3 bacpac and cant make use of the hero 2 one which is a shame, especially as the new bacpac is very expensive.

I'd like to confirm with anyone who can, that the hero 3 bacpacs do work as supposed to and my problem is limited to my hero 2 one and not anything else?

Thanks

Dan,

GoPro usually has a pretty large and well staffed booth at NAB. Since the show is next week, if you want me to ask any of the technical staff about that issue, I'd be happy to jot down a note to ask them.

If you solve the issue with info from elsewhere, post it here so I know.

Take care.
Old March 25th, 2013, 01:04 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I've been running my GoPro Hero 3 Blacks with the Hero 2 battery BacPacs without a problem.

It reccords continuously for about 2.5 hours with both batteries and WiFi turned off. I was able to get it to go more than 4 hours but don't know why neither camera is doing that now.

I'm using 64 GB SDXC Sandisk Class 10 cards.
Old March 25th, 2013, 04:31 PM   #5
Major Player

Bill, if you wouldn't mind asking them then that would be great!, thanks
Dan Burnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2013, 05:13 PM   #6
Trustee

I'll put it on my notes page in my iPad NAB "to do" list.
(no guarantee I'll get a chance to ask, but I'll certainly try.)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems