DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Micro / POV Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/micro-pov-camera-systems/)
-   -   Hero 3 firmware update (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/micro-pov-camera-systems/515651-hero-3-firmware-update.html)

Bryce Comer April 7th, 2013 10:15 AM

Hero 3 firmware update

For those with issues with their HD3 black edition cameras, there is a firmware update that has been released a couple of days ago. It doesn't list bug fixes, but hopefully this will address some of the issues people are having.
Feature enhancements are as follows.

HERO3: Black Edition

current firmware version: HD3.03.02.37
Wi-Fi version: 3.4.2.9
release date: 04/03/2013

Feature Enhancements:
•FW version # is now visible on upon startup.
•Narrow FOV 1080p30/1080p60 (Protune)
•Narrow FOV 720p60 (Protune)
•Medium FOV 720p60 (Protune)
•Default start-up mode is now 960p48

Silver & White editions have also had updates in the last week or so. See here: Firmware Release Information for all Products | GoPro Support

Bryce

Ron Evans April 7th, 2013 11:09 AM

Re: Hero 3 firmware update

Just updated my Black edition. WiFi response seems to be much quicker. It was WiFi I was having all my problems with so hopefully this has been addressed. Will see after I do some more tests.

Ron Evans

Bryce Comer April 7th, 2013 11:14 AM

Hi Ron,
It was your post in the Nanoflash section of the forum that prompted me to check so thank you.
Regards,
Bryce

Dean Sensui April 7th, 2013 08:42 PM

Thanks for the note. Upgraded one of the cameras and seeing what might have changed.

So far it looks like there preview image is still delayed by 3 seconds from the camera to the iPhone via the GoPro App.

Andy Wilkinson April 10th, 2013 09:31 AM

Any news yet as to if this latest firmware update has finally fixed the freezing issues that a lot of people seemed to be complaining about with the Hero 3 Black edition?

Nate Haustein April 10th, 2013 09:53 AM

I might be crazy, but it seems better to me just messing around with it after the update.

Bryce Comer April 10th, 2013 10:52 AM

I had been getting the freezing thing randomly. I used the camera the other day for the first time since the update & not a single freeze all day. While i'm not 100% confident the freezing issue has been put to bed completely, so far it would appear that way.
Regards,
Bryce

Greg Boston April 10th, 2013 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Sensui (Post 1789336)
Thanks for the note. Upgraded one of the cameras and seeing what might have changed.

So far it looks like there preview image is still delayed by 3 seconds from the camera to the iPhone via the GoPro App.

That's one of my pet peeves also, Dean. Not sure they'll be able to eliminate that lag with current hardware. I was less than impressed with the attitude of the GoPro folks in the booth this year. They seem to be selling so many cameras, that they don't feel a need to emphasize customer issues or delivering on features they said wouuld be out last fall when I interviewed them last NAB.

I'm still waiting on the ability for the camera to be an autonomous IP streaming camera and was told that it's a ways down on the list of things to implement.

I just put up a quick article on the articles page on some new stuff available for the ReplayXD cameras. Limited in some ways, but superior to GoPro in others, like the round form factor for instance. They have a new dive housing and a nice little monitor that they have just released.

-gb-

Rob Morse April 10th, 2013 12:50 PM

I used the newest firmware update and I had none of the problems I've seen posted. I initially had a slight problem. The camera was not seeing my sandisk microsdxc 64gb card, but after that, everything was fine. I used it on and off all day. Anyway, after reading all the posts about the camera, I decided to purchase it for a wedding I did this past Saturday. It was for logistical reasons on this shoot, but I will take that camera with me everywhere from now on. Really nice picture quality. I was fortunate enough to get it in the most perfect spot and it really enhanced the production value on a difficult shoot.

Ron Evans April 10th, 2013 03:00 PM

I have tried it over several days with no problems so far. However I had all the problems skiing so may have to wait until next winter now !!! Operated without the remote it never gave any problems. I now notice the response over WiFi is much quicker so maybe the issue is fixed.

Ron Evans

Bryce Comer April 10th, 2013 03:18 PM

Hey Ron,
I was skiing all day the other day after I updated & not a single freeze up. I too was using it without the wifi remote. Didn't want to potentially loose footage having not tested it before hand. Wasn't all that cold though, around -5 deg C. Did you find you had more issues when it was colder?
Regards,
Bryce

Ron Evans April 10th, 2013 04:26 PM

Yes. The first day I tried it over Christmas it was -12 C here in Ottawa and it locked up almost immediately. I reset by removing the battery and stopped using the remote and it worked fine for the rest of the day. Which is why I came to the conclusion it was something to do with the remote or the WIFI. In February I went skiing in Snowmass and had the same issue even though the temperature was around 0 to +3C. Did the same and stopped using the remote and it worked fine for the rest of the trip.

Ron Evans

Bryce Comer April 10th, 2013 05:42 PM

Hmm, ok, sounds like maybe not a temperature issue then. Thinking about it, I did use the remote whilst skiing after I first got the camera & didn't have any freezes at all. Temperature was around -2 that day. I will have to try it again with the remote & the new firmware update on another cold day & see how it performs. While it does feel a lot more like spring around here, we are sure to get some more cold temperatures before summer really sets in.
Regards,
Bryce

Ron Evans April 10th, 2013 07:20 PM

I had a week in Silver Star over March break with my grandkids was great. I assume you ski at Red Mountain ? I have not skied there, something for the future.

Ron Evans

Andy Wilkinson May 31st, 2013 08:28 AM

Sorry to drag up this thread from a couple of months back but I was wondering if the freezing/locking-up glitches with the Hero 3 Black Editions are now resolved.

How are you owners getting on? Are they reliable now?