DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Micro / POV Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/micro-pov-camera-systems/)
-   -   Sony Action Cam Firmware Update (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/micro-pov-camera-systems/516218-sony-action-cam-firmware-update.html)

Woody Sanford April 30th, 2013 02:44 PM

Sony Action Cam Firmware Update

Has anyone done the firmware update yet? I got an email on it from sony. Supposed to have a "Water" mode for filming under water with white balance adjustment and 1080 60p. Just wondering if anyone else has done it before I dip my toe in the water. Guess I'll have to guinea pig it!

Woody Sanford April 30th, 2013 03:27 PM

Re: Sony Action Cam Firmware Update

Well I did the update and it did not brick my camera. I've done a quick ops check and everything seems functional. Even the WiFi still worked to my tablet and phone for control on the AS-15. There is a bit more lag in updating to WiFI control with the 1080 60p than 720 60p and 1080 30p but that makes sense as it is a data transfer thing. The 1080 60p looks great so far. It does cut down on how much you can store on a card quite a bit as usual.

I haven't played with the "Water" feature yet or turning the beep off but will run through the new functions tonight and hopefully put some video up tomorrow. But at this point I did the update and still have a functional POV camera.

Edit: O'h and the 1080 60p is really 60p

Mark Rosenzweig April 30th, 2013 09:11 PM

I updated also, but had to format the micro sd card to have it all work. The 108060p is MP4, not AVCHD, but it is high bitrate 28Mbps.

Woody Sanford May 1st, 2013 01:50 PM

I didn't have to format the card, just remove it for the update. I shot a few clips with it today and there is some other differences. Haven't quite put my finger on them but sure seems a bit different. There is still a good bit of blue strength but it doesn't seem to be swallowing up the greens like it did before. It's over cast here and pretty much perfect conditions, so I'll have to wait for poor conditions to really see if there is a difference.

Steady cam works well with the 1080 60p, really smooths it out. I shot some with out it and it was really choppy.

Woody Sanford May 4th, 2013 06:44 PM

I got the firmware update a couple days ago and have been testing it out a bit. Things look a little different to me, the blue channel doesn't seem as strong. The 1080-60p is nice and looks good. So far I'm happy with the update. However, it seems youtube compression is getting worse, can't watch anything in 360 anymore, HD is a must now.

Brent Kaplan May 4th, 2013 09:04 PM

is it me or does the 1080 60p option not show up in the APP

Woody Sanford May 5th, 2013 09:11 AM

I don't see it in the app either. I'm sure that one will be in the update coming for PMM but I sure hope the WB option is.

Lynne Whelden May 6th, 2013 04:59 AM

I'm glad you guys are hanging in there with Sony. I tried it way back last year but decided the blue issues were too much so I went with the Hero 3. (Now if GP would only get the audio straightened out.) But it's good to know Sony's continuing to support the Action Cam with updates. I was afraid they'd make it such a low priority on their food chain you'd never see any substantial improvements.

Mark Rosenzweig May 6th, 2013 09:05 AM

There are new accessories coming too, including a tripod-mountable skeleton casing that allows for use of the mic input.

Woody Sanford May 6th, 2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynne Whelden (Post 1794257)
I'm glad you guys are hanging in there with Sony. I tried it way back last year but decided the blue issues were too much so I went with the Hero 3. (Now if GP would only get the audio straightened out.) But it's good to know Sony's continuing to support the Action Cam with updates. I was afraid they'd make it such a low priority on their food chain you'd never see any substantial improvements.

Hi Lynne,

For me, in the end I wound up color correcting everything in post anyway so the blue wasn't much of a deal. When I drop it in my NLE I lower the contrast a bit and increase saturation a tad, so adjusting the blue channel wasn't much to add. I do wish they would have added more of a white balance than just the "water" mode. To me the contrast is stronger than the blue now. So I still color correct.

Quote:

There are new accessories coming too, including a tripod-mountable skeleton casing that allows for use of the mic input.
They needed that from the start. I wound up making a DIY one for cheap out of PVC and I use it more than the OEM housing. I feel pretty silly sometimes as I use mic's with the AS-15 all the time. I feel silly cause I usually have an FS-100 sitting within reach and I'm playing with the AS-15 and an 18 dollar wired lav but it gets really good sound for so cheap its crazy. I also use a Azden SMX-10 shotgun mic with it when I have the kids in the boat fishing with me, I don't let them around the FS-100. my son is three and born to break stuff.

Sometimes I have to much fun with this little camera.

Steve Game June 13th, 2013 05:38 PM

Managed to update to version 2.0 firmware and it all seems OK except the wi-fi remote. When I start Play Memories Mobile (Android version), it goes through the connecting routine, finding the SSID as with v.1.4 but after at least 30 seconds, it stops with a message :"Connection failed".
I've re-entered the password and set the turn-off time to 60 sec.
I would be grateful for advice if anybody else has had this problem.

Regards

Woody Sanford June 19th, 2013 04:34 PM

Hi Steve, That could be several things. Depending on which phone you are using and what is turned on. I found I had that same issue if blue tooth was on and turned it off. I also found using a android tablet had more stable and longer distance results than my casio commando android phone. I've seen different results with different phones as well.

I did a recent update on the play memories mobile app on the phone and found it was more stable than before but it is now doing s buffering like action when relaying the video to the phone but it is more stable. If you have just up dated the camera you might also try the phone app update as well. Depending on your phone it could make a large difference as it did with mine.

Steve Game June 23rd, 2013 04:32 PM

Thanks for the reply Woody.
Miraculously the wi-fi started working OK last week so (it seems) I now have a 60p camera and the problem's gone away.
The images are pretty good. It's a shame that Sony haven't given us a 25/50Hz set of video modes. Another thing that could be fixed is the rather annoying lack of control of playback audio volume. A simple firmware switch would remove the annoying echo when playing back for convenience, via HTML.