GoPro App 2.0 sneak peak at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems

Micro / POV Camera Systems
Covering the GoPro HERO and other small Point-Of-View video cameras.

Old June 12th, 2013, 04:40 PM   #1
Regular Crew

GoPro App 2.0 sneak peak

Folks over at Gizmodo got a sneak... Can;t wait to be able to watch what I just shot.

GoPro Software Update Hands-On: Easier Sharing, Awesomer Videos
Harry Pallenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2013, 10:55 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: GoPro App 2.0 sneak peak

The review didn't cover the most important potential feature for me - being about to put multiple HD Heros on the same WI-FI network and switch between them in the app. Closing the App, changing the network, and re-launching just to switch cameras is painful, especially in a concert situation.
Chris DeVoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2013, 06:50 AM   #3
Trustee

That would be amazing, Chris. I too find switching from one GoPro to another on the iPhone to be a painful process, and I only use two of them. It's not a quick process either.

I don't know if it's something that can be addressed in the App though. As it currently stands, it's up to the phone to connect to the camera's Wi-Fi, and the phone can only connect to one Wi-Fi network at a time. At least that's what my iPhone does - I can connect to my Hero 2 Wi-Fi, the Hero 3 Wi-Fi, my home fibre connection, the house next door, but I can't connect to two at once.

Is it possible to have two cameras on the same network? I mean, is it possible in theory to have two devices simultaneously saying they are "mb gopro wi-fi" and not clash somehow? It would probably need something in between the cameras and the phone to act as a proxy or something.

For me, it looks like it would be better to get a couple of basic Android tablets for this purpose, but that's more to carry and not a cheap fix.
Old July 24th, 2013, 06:07 PM   #4
Major Player

Looking forward to this update.
Will be nice to be able to play back footage through the new app. That it's low resolution is no problem. And perhaps the V 3.0 app will support live streaming. Probably not. ;)

Hope it will be released soon!
Derran Rootring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2013, 03:36 PM   #5
Major Player

If you just need to start and stop recording for multiple gopros in the same time you can use the included remote control. It works well with one condition: the cameras and the remote must be in the "legal" range :)
Eugen Oprina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2013, 03:50 AM   #6
Major Player

GoPro have just released the new Version 2 of the App TODAY and also a firmware update for all the HD3 cameras as well as firmware update for HD2. Go to the GoPro website.
Ian Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2013, 12:28 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Can't wait for the early testers to report back.
Old July 31st, 2013, 11:21 AM   #8
Major Player

I created a quick demo of the new app in action:

Derran Rootring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2013, 10:01 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Just finished the update now... I was able to get landscape to work more than 1/2 the time... but not 100%. So far everything else is all good. Running some long capture tests now to see if it crashes. Very nice to be able to playback the clips!
Old October 13th, 2013, 08:19 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Beckett View Post
That would be amazing, Chris. I too find switching from one GoPro to another on the iPhone to be a painful process, and I only use two of them. It's not a quick process either.

I don't know if it's something that can be addressed in the App though. As it currently stands, it's up to the phone to connect to the camera's Wi-Fi, and the phone can only connect to one Wi-Fi network at a time. At least that's what my iPhone does - I can connect to my Hero 2 Wi-Fi, the Hero 3 Wi-Fi, my home fibre connection, the house next door, but I can't connect to two at once.

Is it possible to have two cameras on the same network? I mean, is it possible in theory to have two devices simultaneously saying they are "mb gopro wi-fi" and not clash somehow? It would probably need something in between the cameras and the phone to act as a proxy or something.

For me, it looks like it would be better to get a couple of basic Android tablets for this purpose, but that's more to carry and not a cheap fix.
The firmware of the camera indicates that they can join a network, as opposed to the phone and tablet mode. So you'd ether have to manually put them on the network at the venue, or carry your own network wi-fi router, and put the cameras and your tablet/laptop on that.
Chris DeVoe is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems