Documentary and frame rates at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Micro / POV Camera Systems
Covering the GoPro HERO and other small Point-Of-View video cameras.

Old September 1st, 2013, 04:52 PM   #1
Major Player

Documentary and frame rates

I've shot several docs over the years but never with a camera where I have frame rate/resolution options like the Hero 3 offers.
I'll be distributing on DVD and Blu-ray. BR technically means I'm limited to 1080p24 or 720p60 altho wiki says many current BR players also support 1080p60.
Has anyone worked with these formats? Is it considered "okay" to switch back and forth between various frame rates AND resolutions, depending on the shot?
I have a week to finalize how I'm going to shoot my next project. Any input is appreciated.
Lynne Whelden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2013, 06:28 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Documentary and frame rates

You can just shoot it at 60p and edit it on a 24p timeline - I doubt anyone would even notice any difference in the motion. This gives you the option of slow-motion too.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2013, 07:08 PM   #3
Major Player

720 or 1080 at p60...should I stick with 720, taking the resolution hit, but avoiding any Blu-ray player compatibility issues? Or go with premium grade 1080 and cast my concerns to the wind?
Lynne Whelden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 08:19 AM   #4
Trustee

Go for 1080p. It's easy to scale down if you need to! Plus in wide mode, the processing is much cleaner with less aliasing and moire at 1080p than 720p. In Narrow mode, however, 720p looks really good.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 09:07 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Shoot 1080 and deliver 720 on the BR. It's a doc, shooting 1080 gives you the ability to re-frame, zoom and do faux camera movements if need be in post without loosing anything. Especially when using something like a GoPro camera where re-framing could be a life saver.

Most HD is still broadcast at 720 and so are many BR's so you won't have any less quality than what people are used to and most larger TV's nowadays are just fine with 720. I wouldn't give up the wiggle room of the 1080 with POV cam's and I wouldn't be afraid to still finish in a 720 project for BR. I don't see any loss in doing that but the other way around is less flexible.
Woody Sanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 11:02 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks for the input. This all makes sense to me.
Lynne Whelden is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems