DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Micro / POV Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/micro-pov-camera-systems/)
-   -   whats the smallest waterproof cam you can think of? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/micro-pov-camera-systems/522474-whats-smallest-waterproof-cam-you-can-think.html)

Dylan Couper March 30th, 2014 10:19 AM

whats the smallest waterproof cam you can think of?

Hey guys, I'm looking for the smallest/lightest waterproof camera I can find. 720p is fine. Any FOV is fine. Bonus if there is a 1/4-20 mount. I need one to mount to a rifle and one to mount via a long metal strip behind someone to make a video game style 3rd person point of view for the person shooting it.

Cable cams would be an option as well.

Thanks!

Simon Wood March 30th, 2014 02:00 PM

Re: whats the smallest waterproof cam you can think of?

I've mounted a go pro to a shotgun with the gopro tube clamp. The little sticky flat mounts will grip most other surfaces.

Tim Lewis March 30th, 2014 06:26 PM

Hi Dylan

I was looking at the BuyAirsoft.ca site where they have a few action cams that might suit. They might already have something suited to a Weaver mount. I also have a Panasonic FT-3 (NTSC version has a different model designation) but they are 10m waterproof and have a tripod mount. They also have variable FOV.

Cheers

Tim

Dylan Couper March 30th, 2014 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simon Wood (Post 1839083)
I've mounted a go pro to a shotgun with the gopro tube clamp. The little sticky flat mounts will grip most other surfaces.

Hi Simon, I'm looking for something more like 1/2 the size of a GoPro.
Tim, I thought of trying something similar, but again, has to be smaller or slimmer profile.

You can get 1/4-20 and gopro mounts for picatinny and molle, a couple different ones on the market, I just need to find the smallest camera I can for it. 1/2 the size of the GoPro is the target. Currently the best looking choice is the Panasonic A100 cable style camera.

Dave Farrants March 30th, 2014 11:57 PM

Sony HDR-AS30V ?

Ian Newland March 31st, 2014 02:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Mobius ActionCam is one of the most sophisticated mini cameras around. Measuring 1 3/8″ x 2 1/2″ x 3/4″ inches and weighing only 1.4 ounces, this camera can easily fit in any pocket, but press record and you will capture stunning 1080 HD video quality normally only found on devices 5 times the size.
Mobius ActionCam

Definitely the smallest and good quality, also very cheap. Not suitable for underwater, but at this price ( $70 ) expendable. These are used on quadcopter a lot due to low weight and size.

Dylan Couper March 31st, 2014 05:29 PM

Hey guys, I just ordered the Panasonic A100 from B&H, they've got them for $200, pretty good price. I'll order a Mobius as well and see how that compares.
Thanks!

Dylan Couper April 30th, 2014 09:23 PM

Quote:

Hey guys, I just ordered the Panasonic A100 from B&H, they've got them for $200, pretty good price. I'll order a Mobius as well and see how that compares.
Thanks!
DYLAN! YOU MORON! Don't order a Panasonic A100! Didn't anyone tell you how awful the picture is, how worthless the wifi connection is, and how that big control box only has a button for wifi, rec and stills, and that if you actually want to change anything in the camera, you need to connect it to your smart phone via wifi? So that when you're actually doing something action packed, you need to budget a good 5 minutes to get your camera connected just to change the frame rate?? Oh, and fix battery only runs 90 minutes then you're done for the day. SEND IT BACK!

Taylor Meyn May 2nd, 2014 06:56 AM

I've never used this camera before but I know a few people that like them:
Replay XD 1080 Mini - Replay XD

It's smaller than a gopro and it's round shape probably wouldn't be as clunky when mounting it to a gun as a gopro would. I used to have a VIO POV.1 camera which had a similar design as the Panasonic A100 and it was really annoying to have to mount the camera part then find a place for the recording unit and make sure the wire didn't get in the way or tangled. I much prefer having everything in one self-contained package.

Dylan Couper May 3rd, 2014 11:27 AM

Hey Taylor
I just tried one of these last week. It's a great size and form factor. Controls are simple. Non swappable battery but that's not a bad trade off for the size. Limited frame rates, but again for the price, not a big issue.

The only real issue is that the image quality was pretty awful. However, not much worse than the Panasonic, so a decent alternative if function is more important.

Simon Wood May 3rd, 2014 01:11 PM

Theres a reason that the GoPro remains the most popular action cam....

Is it that the camera will be in view from other cameras and needs to be hidden, or that its too heavy?

Ian Newland May 4th, 2014 11:43 PM

Möbius now has waterproof case for £20