HDR-AS100V POV Action Cam - card information needed at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems

Micro / POV Camera Systems
Covering the GoPro HERO and other small Point-Of-View video cameras.

Old May 11th, 2014, 08:07 PM   #1
Major Player

HDR-AS100V POV Action Cam - card information needed

I have a Sony HDR-AS100V POV Action Cam due here tomorrow which I purchased specifically to shoot footage while sailing on my new (used) Raven 31 sailboat in the Marlborough Sounds. I purchased the cam from B&H as usual however for the fist time they have been very unhelpful when it comes to identifying a micro card that will enable recording the highest quality codec the camera is capable of capturing. It should not be that complicated but do you think I can get a straight answer from B&H customer service!

Anyone know...?
John McCully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2014, 11:51 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: HDR-AS100V POV Action Cam - card information needed

It's not like you're shooting 10fps raw photos with a DSLR, 50Mbps is 6.25MBps so you don't need the fastest cards. 10MBps will work, and anything faster is just icing.

I use Sony micro SDXC cards in my GoPros and small audio recorders and haven't had a problem with them yet.
Matt Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2014, 12:30 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Matt, I'm hoping someone will say something like 'I have that cam and I use xxx card to capture 1920 x 1080p / 60 fps (50Mbps) and it DOES work. I get SHOULD work from B&H so your WILL work is an improvement but I'm holding out for DOES work :-)

The cam is somewhat new so I may not get that information for a while.
Old May 12th, 2014, 05:52 AM   #4
Inner Circle

It uses the same codec and data rate as the FDR-AX100 so someone on the FDR-AX100 thread should be able to answer your question.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2014, 01:58 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks Ron, but I believe the AS100 needs a micro card while the AX100 needs a standard card, I think. Different beasts.

I have read user reports that microSDHC class 10 cards don't work with the high bit rate codec however at the Sony web site featuring this cam it is only microSDHC cards that are mentioned. Regarding the AX100 at B&HI we are told 'class 10+ SDXC card required for recording XAVC S'. B&H further inform me that the 'X' in SDXC signifies 'extreme' and refers to size and not speed just to add to the confusion. I really want to record the high bit rate, or at least be able to. I THINK this card might work 'SanDisk 64GB Mobile Ultra microSDXC Class 10 UHS-1 memory cards UP TO 30MB/S' and that one costs $113.00, best price I can find here, but if it doesn't then that's just a waste of money.
Old May 12th, 2014, 02:46 PM   #6
Inner Circle

All the micro SDHC cards I have for use with my GoPro and AS30V came with a SD card adapter and work fine also as a full size SDHC card. That is why I wondered if someone might have used this way in the AX100. 60Mbps is less than 8MBps so within the spec of these class 10 cards. I use the LX Pro series of these cards http://www.patriotmemory.com/product...p.jsp?source=4.

Ron Evans
Old May 12th, 2014, 03:16 PM   #7
Major Player

Seems it is not a speed issue but rather a size (GBs) issue for whatever reason. Even the fast SDHC cards don't record the high bit rate codec on the AS100, apparently. That brand/card you mentioned is the exact same price as the one I mentioned above, different retailer. Almost 3x the Amazon price. Oh well, living in God's own country comes at a price :-)
Old May 12th, 2014, 04:12 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Just read the spec and it says SDXC for XAVC-S . I have some Sandisk Ultra too that I use on the GoPro and AS30V they are SDXC and need to be formatted exFAT rather than FAT32 as they are 64G cards. They should work for you though.

Ron Evans
Old May 12th, 2014, 04:27 PM   #9
Major Player

I believe the exFAT formatting is key.

I just ordered this Kingston Digital 64 GB microSD Class 10 UHS-1 Memory Card 30MB/s with Adapter (SDCX10/64GB) said to be 'Compatible with microSDXC host devices'.

Cost $70.00 - fingers crossed!
Old May 12th, 2014, 09:09 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Yes I think exFAT is the answer as I expect XAVC-S does not work across FAT boundaries like AVCHD. I seem to remember I had the same issue with my GoPro 3 Black Edition that needs exFAT formatting. If that is the case it will work on other cards too not just the large 64G cards that come with exFAT formatting.

Ron Evans
Old May 12th, 2014, 09:49 PM   #11
Major Player

Thanks Ron, yes; we live and learn. I shall post my results here. If the Kingston 64 GB card works chances are I won't need any other. If it doesn't then with the adapter I have a 64 GB card for my other cameras which I don't really need.

The cam has arrived. I can't believe how small it is; looks like a toy (and in some ways for me it is, I guess). The usual Sony high quality build I'm happy to note. And AVCHD S, a first for me. It certainly will be interesting to evaluate that codec vs the regular 28 mbps AVCHD using the same cam.
Old May 15th, 2014, 11:13 PM   #12
Major Player

I am happy (delighted actually) to report that the Kingston - Flash memory card ( microSDXC to SD adapter included ) - 64 GB - Class 10 - microSDXC DOES Work in the Sony AS100 action cam. I have recorded video at the 50mbps data rate as discussed above. Price $57.00 NZ which is somewhat less than $143.00 NZ for the somewhat belated recommendation from B&H - the Sandisk Extreme - Flash memory card (microSDXC to SD adapter included) - 64 GB - UHS Class 1 / Class10 - microSDXC UHS-I (SDSDQXL-064G-Q46A).

Both prices are today from Paradigm PC, New Zealand. No doubt USA prices will be considerably less.
Old May 17th, 2014, 08:50 PM   #13
Major Player

I tried both a SanDisk 32gb 10MB/s (SDSDQUI-032G-A46) card and a Sony 32gb 10MB/s (SR32UYA/TQMN) card formatted to both FAT32 and exFAT and the camera just blinks "MEDIA" at me when I try to put it in XAVC-S mode (Pro to ON). I guess it's time to buy some faster cards.

The above cards did work fine at the 1080p60 'PS' setting.
Matt Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2014, 02:41 PM   #14
Major Player

Matt, I am quite surprised that the Sony 32GB microSDHC Class 10 UHS-1 Memory Card with microSD Adapter didn't work. The card that did work for me is also a class 10 UHS-1 I believe but is 64 GB. In this situation maybe size does matter.

Seems like it is going to be one of those situation like my with hapless BMPCC where it became appropriate for Black Magic to test a bunch of cards and publish a list of 'approved' cards. I can't see Sony doing something like that though. Perhaps it's their overall seriously negative financial situation but I sense a creeping indifference there notwithstanding the excellent line of products they continue to pump out, the AS100v being one of them.
Old May 18th, 2014, 02:48 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Sharp View Post
I tried both a SanDisk 32gb 10MB/s (SDSDQUI-032G-A46) card and a Sony 32gb 10MB/s (SR32UYA/TQMN) card formatted to both FAT32 and exFAT and the camera just blinks "MEDIA" at me when I try to put it in XAVC-S mode (Pro to ON). I guess it's time to buy some faster cards.

The above cards did work fine at the 1080p60 'PS' setting.
Did you format the cards in the camera ? I know I had to do this for the GoPro even though I had formatted to exFAT in the PC.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems