Have LUT for protune, need a workflow! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems

Micro / POV Camera Systems
Covering the GoPro HERO and other small Point-Of-View video cameras.

Old September 6th, 2014, 04:16 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Have LUT for protune, need a workflow!

I finally extracted the LUT a few months ago for the protune setting in the gopro/cineform app, but of course there's a bit more to it! Denoise, some curves, some adding sharpness, etc etc. Mostly to avoid the lack of batch export in gopro studio 2.0 (which is still buggy as hell!)...just doesn't open gopro files on import, my workaround is to convert to cineform in media encoder, then plop them into gopro studio 2.x in the edit stage. With me so far?

What I want, is simply the normal gopro studio look applied to my protune files...I shoot LOTS on my gopro, and can't stuff around for ever with these. But gopro studio not batch rendering is a problem.

What I GET in Adobe CC, is a 7 minute video taking 2 hours to render once I apply the LUT, sharpening, denoise, and basic color correction. So not really an option. Haven't gotten the cojones to start learning Resolve yet, maybe that's faster?

I've even tried applying the protune LUT (which is just a normal cinestyle lut turns out!), link here..Cinestyle Download - Technicolor (straight from gopro support I might add!) directly to h.264 original gopro files (which didn't really work) and to DNxHD files (not quite as bad).

But of course we need more than just the LUT...so therein my problem. Any ideas? Can't be the only person shooting protune on DVINFO, and lots of it....

As far as render times, my workstation has a couple of 2.4ghz 8-core xeons, so a bit slow on the single threaded things, but 16 cores and 32 threads..should be fast enough normally. OS and programs on separate SSD, 13 hdd's including scratch disks with ssd caching....looks to me as though media encoder or premiere still suck at using available processing power. Haven't tried AE yet, but have tried direct export via Premiere and queued via media encoder. Next stop Sony Vegas...

Sorry for the rant! Thought a beast of a rendering maching (3d student) would be able to chew through such a simple operation, seems things get slower!
Arne Pursell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems