GoPro Hero 4 Black 4K Videos - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Micro / POV Camera Systems
Covering the GoPro HERO and other small Point-Of-View video cameras.

Old October 10th, 2014, 11:33 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: GoPro Hero 4 Black 4K Videos

Mark, the GoPro community understands the down conversion from 4k to 1080 for the extra details, we have been doing this with 2.7k from the previous models, whether the details or workflow is desirable is up to the individual user, their workflow time constraints and the type of footage they shoot.
Ian Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2014, 06:11 AM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Newland View Post
Mark, the GoPro community understands the down conversion from 4k to 1080 for the extra details, we have been doing this with 2.7k from the previous models, whether the details or workflow is desirable is up to the individual user, their workflow time constraints and the type of footage they shoot.
Not the community I encountered on the web. I think the "community" is quite diverse. I agree with what you say otherwise, but the choice people make is conditional on their understanding of both the costs and the advantages.

The 4K in the new model has not been seen before - it is much better than in the older model. It is not clear that the 2.7k is. Also software and hardware has improved, so working with higher resolutions natively is much easier now. Finally, there is no need to downconvert. You can upload 4K to Vimeo or Youtube, for example, and most computers now will play 4K videos easily. And, 4K video viewed at lower resolutions looks much better than natively-shot "HD" (because it isn't HD).
Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2014, 10:01 AM   #18
Regular Crew

During a break on a shoot I took a quick shot out the window to take this 4K shot
Rich Adrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2014, 10:04 AM   #19
Major Player

I'm one of the few (only?) people on the planet who actually care about the audio quality of the GoPro. (Everyone else says "Use an audio recorder as your primary recorder." Sorry, but I'm not going there.) Thus I am encouraged by what GoPro is saying about 'new and improved' audio quality on the 4 model. That's why the "hiss" concerns me.
That's good news about the curvature being lessened. I hope that's the case for all resolutions, not just 4K. I have the 3 and so I'm seeing fisheye big-time.
Lynne Whelden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2014, 12:23 PM   #20
Major Player

By the way, I called GoPro's tech support to give them a heads-up on the vignetting issue with the Hero 4 at 4K in superwide mode.
However, they're claiming the problem is with the user and NOT with the camera.
If anyone else has seen this, please call GoPro and give them your first-hand experience. (Mine is only based on the vimeo clip Mark posted as I don't own the Hero 4 yet.)
Old October 13th, 2014, 12:32 PM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne Whelden View Post
By the way, I called GoPro's tech support to give them a heads-up on the vignetting issue with the Hero 4 at 4K in superwide mode.
However, they're claiming the problem is with the user and NOT with the camera.
If anyone else has seen this, please call GoPro and give them your first-hand experience. (Mine is only based on the vimeo clip Mark posted as I don't own the Hero 4 yet.)
As the "user", I would like to know what I possibly could have done to produce the slight vignetting in the upper (not lower) corners, and ONLY in superwide mode? I shot the videos standing in back of the camera. The camera was on a tripod in the GoPro frame, which has the least bulk of any of the GoPro cases.
Old October 13th, 2014, 02:39 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Mark,

Agree what would cause it from your setup? Mine comes tomorrow and I will do the same test since we are going to use it in that mode as part of our next shoot.
Old October 13th, 2014, 03:50 PM   #23
Major Player

Sometimes if the camera is not positioned correctly within the housing the video will display a vignette usually on one side, this used to happen on earlier GoPro versions as the camera case or the Perspex locating lugs wore down after repeated use ( vibration on bikes etc), you could see the wear marks on the camera case.
Old October 13th, 2014, 05:11 PM   #24
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Newland View Post
Sometimes if the camera is not positioned correctly within the housing the video will display a vignette usually on one side, this used to happen on earlier GoPro versions as the camera case or the Perspex locating lugs wore down after repeated use ( vibration on bikes etc), you could see the wear marks on the camera case.
This is the HERO 4 in its GoPro frame case. I do not see how it could induce vignetting, unless that GoPro lens cover does it (it comes with the frame), but that is unlikely since it is only the upper corners.

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps9b4464a5.jpg
Old October 14th, 2014, 04:41 AM   #25
Major Player

This is the email I got from the GoPro tech:

"Thank you for calling in today, and pointing me towards that video. I will look into it a little further, and let you know what I find out.

This is not a problem with the camera, but it could be the result of user error, or simply a particular problem with that particular camera itself.

Let me know if yo have other questions."

.................................................................................................... .........................................................

Barrage them with calls if you've seen it yourself, that's what I say.
Don't let them get away with the attitude "Hey, this is only a $500 camera, what do you expect?" Or, "Wait 'til Hero 5 comes out and we'll see if we can get it fixed by then."
Americans are addicted to mediocrity!
Old October 14th, 2014, 08:14 PM   #26
Trustee

Firmware Update

HERO4 Black v2.00

New Features
•Adds Automatic shutter option for Night Lapse mode
•Adds Continuous interval for Night Lapse mode

Performance Improvements
•Increases image sharpness in various video modes
•Decreases Time Lapse shutter lag
•Optimizes Time Lapse auto exposure performance for 0.5 and 1 second intervals
•Decreases thumbnail load time on the LCD Touch BacPac™
•Increases file transfer speed from camera to computer

Usability Improvements
•Simplifies Default Mode menu
•Adds 5 min option to Auto Off
•Displays HiLight Tags in thumbnail gallery on the LCD Touch BacPac (3rd Generation only)
•Improves swipe and playback controls on the LCD Touch BacPac (3rd Generation only)
•Displays the most recent video or photo first during playback on the LCD Touch BacPac

General Improvements + Bug Fixes
•Addresses an issue that may prevent pairing with the GoPro App
•Addresses an issue that may disable live preview on the GoPro App
•Addresses an issue that may cause the camera to appear out of range with the GoPro App
•Improves battery level icon accuracy
•Addresses an issue that may prevent files from being deleted
•Addresses an issue which may cause the camera to automatically power on when connected to a computer
•Other improvements and bug fixes
Old October 14th, 2014, 11:10 PM   #27
Major Player

And some valuable info from GoPros Chief Production Artist - Abe Kitsleviz

New Features of the HERO4
Understanding Video in the HERO4
Understanding Photos in the HERO4

Happy reading :D
Old October 15th, 2014, 09:56 AM   #28
Trustee

Night shot at the end.
Old October 15th, 2014, 02:20 PM   #29
Trustee

Re: Firmware Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rosenzweig View Post
HERO4 Black v2.00

New Features
•Adds Automatic shutter option for Night Lapse mode
•Adds Continuous interval for Night Lapse mode

Performance Improvements
•Increases image sharpness in various video modes
•Decreases Time Lapse shutter lag
•Optimizes Time Lapse auto exposure performance for 0.5 and 1 second intervals
•Decreases thumbnail load time on the LCD Touch BacPac™
•Increases file transfer speed from camera to computer

Usability Improvements
•Simplifies Default Mode menu
•Adds 5 min option to Auto Off
•Displays HiLight Tags in thumbnail gallery on the LCD Touch BacPac (3rd Generation only)
•Improves swipe and playback controls on the LCD Touch BacPac (3rd Generation only)
•Displays the most recent video or photo first during playback on the LCD Touch BacPac

General Improvements + Bug Fixes
•Addresses an issue that may prevent pairing with the GoPro App
•Addresses an issue that may disable live preview on the GoPro App
•Addresses an issue that may cause the camera to appear out of range with the GoPro App
•Improves battery level icon accuracy
•Addresses an issue that may prevent files from being deleted
•Addresses an issue which may cause the camera to automatically power on when connected to a computer
•Other improvements and bug fixes
Do we know what modes received improved sharpness? 2.7K 48p was a little softer than 30p when I did some tests the other day. Same with 1080p80 and higher.

Otherwise, the new exposure and image controls on the 4 are fantastic. I get a good solid 55 minutes of 4K recording too! Wow!
Old October 17th, 2014, 12:55 PM   #30
Major Player

How does the new Gopro 4 black handle interiors? What about lowish light? Compared to the previous black versions?
Andrew Maclaurin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems