DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Micro / POV Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/micro-pov-camera-systems/)
-   -   Osmo 4k (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/micro-pov-camera-systems/530057-osmo-4k.html)

Hubert Hofer October 17th, 2015 03:47 AM

Osmo 4k

There is a new 4K camera being promoted to be available in November, the OSMO 4K stabiliser combo. From what I have seen on the net this appears to be a pretty good setup.
Has anyone had their hands on one yet ?

Karl Walter Keirstead October 17th, 2015 06:36 PM

Re: Osmo 4k

HDWarrior seems to have looked at it . . .

HD Warrior » Blog Archiv » DJI Osmo £549 plus vat

David Cleverly October 18th, 2015 07:37 PM

I would like to know if it can be externally powered via Micro USB or something similar.

Jody Arnott October 19th, 2015 04:32 AM

I doubt it, DJI seem to be big fans of selling heavily marked up extra batteries

Vishal Jadhav October 29th, 2015 02:02 AM

Hi,

Any one has landed their own hands on this Osmo, any views on how is the feel.

I am just looking at the standard 7 videos on the net,

would be helpful

Vishal Jadhav November 1st, 2015 01:58 AM

Guess DJI wants to be sure OSMO is known, in last few days they have updated many things on the site

Osmo - Videos | DJI

Noa Put November 1st, 2015 02:35 AM

Their "unboxing - part 1" video is hilarious, "remove the tape over the lid and flip over the cover" is said as instruction to open the box containing the Osmo.

Hubert Hofer November 2nd, 2015 02:53 AM

There's a 4K four thirds model as well but somewhat pricey though once they advertise it as splash resistant I'll get one.

Robin Davies-Rollinson November 3rd, 2015 12:23 PM

My Osmo arriving tomorrow.
At least I now know how to unbox it...:-)

Paul Cronin November 3rd, 2015 01:44 PM

Where did you buy it? I have been waiting on pre-order from B&H.

Robin Davies-Rollinson November 3rd, 2015 03:07 PM

From ProAv in UK.

Jody Arnott November 4th, 2015 05:55 PM

Mine should be here this afternoon. Excited!

Jody Arnott November 4th, 2015 09:33 PM

Well I've got mine. Initial thoughts:

- Build quality is very good
- Stabilisation is very good (as you'd expect) although you do get shakes if you move it up and down quickly.
- Image quality is the main downside - but I only bought this with the intention of buying the X5 camera. I don't think it's "professional" image quality, especially with the issues with moire and aliasing.
- Low light performance is terrible. It's a small sensor, no way around that.
- Having no aperture control makes things difficult in bright conditions (ND filters are a must). It takes the same filters as the Inspire 1.
- Battery life isn't great (45-60 mins). But the batteries are fairly affordable and charge quickly (1 hour).

So, lots of downsides in my opinion. It's 1/3 of the price of the Ronin-M, so some sacrifice is understandable. But paired with the X5 micro 4/3 camera, I think this will be a winner.

Robin Davies-Rollinson November 6th, 2015 03:33 PM

As Jody says, stabilisation is indeed very good.
This was a quick out-of-the- box test this morning. Hadn't gone into the menu to check shutter speed etc, so just shot at 4K 25p and rendered out in Sony Vegas to 1080 25p.
I need to set the camera up properly next time...

Noa Put November 6th, 2015 03:48 PM

That's the advantage of selling gimbal and camera combined, they can finetune the balancing settings in the factory so you don't have to deal with that anymore, that's the major shortcoming of all small 3 axis gimbals because they all require finetuning to get the shake or jitters out.