Just bought a Hero 4 Silver - WHat are the "must have" accessories? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems

Micro / POV Camera Systems
Covering the GoPro HERO and other small Point-Of-View video cameras.

Old May 4th, 2016, 08:01 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Just bought a Hero 4 Silver - WHat are the "must have" accessories?

Hi all:

I have been renting a friends Hero 3+ Black Go Pros for the past few years, finally decided to buy my own. I typically use Go Pros as an alternate angle camera or for time-lapses, car footage, occasionally mounted to my main camera video tripod, sometimes I put them on an arm and clamp them to the main dolly on television show shoots to get the camera ops and dolly grips doing their thing. I use the Go Pro app and overall, it works pretty well. Along with the Hero 4 Silver, I bought:

1. Frame Mount. I find the frame housing lets the Go Pro record much cleaner, clearer audio (only used for ambient, obviously)
2. Softcase - Bought one of those that have room for two Go Pros, lots of accessories with pick and pluck foam
3. Three of the Smatree blue aluminum tie down knobs
4. Go Pro tie down knob tool
5. Three extra batteries and a three bay battery charger
6. Anti-fog inserts
7. Go Pro clamp arm
8. Go Pro suction cup mount
9. Go Pro Hot Shoe mount (will allow me to mount the Go Pro on top of my main camera for an alternate W/A view)
10. Clip on glass ND filter
11. Switronix USB battery eliminator cable (I use the Anker lithium ion packs to power the Go Pros in stationary setups and car shoots - one will power a Go Pro for a whole day, basically, I love NOT using the tiny, quick to deplete Go Pro batteries)
12. Three Go Pro approved 64GB Micro SD cards
13. Go Pro tripod mount
14. Go Pro Protective lens and cover kit

What else am I missing? I am going to be on a TV show shoot in Africa for a few weeks and will be using the camera for all kinds of POV, BTS shots as the TV show is filmed. We have some logistically challenging scenes with big explosions, chaos and people running all over the place. I wish I could use the chest mount to put on one of the extras but that won't be possible. I want to make sure that I have all of the toys necessary to make my Go Pro ready to capture anything. We are in the desert, so I don't think any underwater footage will be shot.
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2016, 09:04 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Just bought a Hero 4 Silver - WHat are the "must have" accessories?

LCD touch-screen. Any adapters you might need to download off the storage cards.

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2016, 10:37 AM   #3
Trustee

Amazon sells grab-bags of off-brand mounts, I keep a sack of them in the van for when I need an obscure mount or I run out of the atomic strength 3M sticky tape that holds the mounts to whatever you've put them on.

Outside of that, it sounds like your GoPro strategy is way more thought out than mine.

Don't forget something to safety your GoPro when it's hanging precariously. I use whatever I have on hand, the GoPro doesn't weigh much.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2016, 08:32 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Watson View Post
LCD touch-screen. Any adapters you might need to download off the storage cards.

Mark
Hi Mark:

The Hero 4 Silver has a built in LCD screen. That said, it is an energy hog so I usually use the Go Pro app with my phone. I will be bringing my MBP and some drives, the MBP has a built SD card slot.

Thanks,

Dan
Old May 4th, 2016, 08:50 PM   #5
Major Player

I didn't realize it was built-in. I have the Hero 4 Black, and yes, the LCD eats battery life. If it's going to be an issue, I try to mount the camera with the LCD on, to get proper framing, then after tightening down the support fixtures, I will pop off the LCD and put on an extra battery pack.

I think you've got your kit pretty well outfitted then.

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2016, 09:48 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Brockett View Post
Hi Mark:The Hero 4 Silver has a built in LCD screen. That said, it is an energy hog so I usually use the Go Pro app with my phone.
I find the WiFi to be a pretty solid memory hog as well. Give and get, I guess.
Mike Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2016, 12:41 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Re: Just bought a Hero 4 Silver - What are the "must have" accessories?

That's why I like shooting with the Anker Lithium Ion packs, I can leave the WiFi on and record all day with no battery changes or concerns. it's the only way to fly. I did just order a slip on glass ND filter as I will be in the African desert and there will undoubtedly be ridiculous amounts of sunlight.
Old May 6th, 2016, 07:49 AM   #8
Inner Circle

For those of you in the same position, I thought you might want to check out two more accessories I bought.

1. Movo Photo Panoramic 360 degree tripod head http://www.amazon.com/Movo-MTP2000-P...ilpage_o01_s00 You wind this up like an egg timer and it will rotate your Go Pro 360 degrees in an hour. It's mechanical, cheap and reliable.

2. The Movo only rotates counterclock-wise so what do you do if you want your timelapse to rotate clock-wise? Why of course, you buy an upside down frame that will let you mount your Go Pro to the Movo upside down, reversing the rotational direction. Moonshuttle Upsidedown frame mount http://www.amazon.com/Moonshuttle-OC...ilpage_o02_s00

This setup will be perfect for shooting 360 degree timelapses while on the set of the TV show I will be shooting, epic panoramics of the African desert, etc. I don't have one, but pairing this with a motorized slider would be epic.
Dan Brockett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems