Sony X3000 Action Cam with BOSS in 4K! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Micro / POV Camera Systems
Covering the GoPro HERO and other small Point-Of-View video cameras.

Old September 5th, 2016, 08:07 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: Sony X3000 Action Cam with BOSS in 4K!

Haven't had a chance to put it through all the paces yet but some initial observations:

- The batteries take about 4 hours to charge, and shooting 4K 30P 100Mbps don't last too long. I bought 2 extra batteries (one is included) but didn't get the AC charger, which you will want to have so you can charge more than one battery at a time. There is only one charger/USB cable in the kit, so you cannot charge the camera and the wrist watch LCD remote simultaneously. So maybe I need an extra cable plus the AC charger.

- The camera over heats and stops recording. Had it recording 4K 30P 100Mbps with Wi-Fi and GPS enabled. Room temp was 88 deg. F. I noticed after 15 minutes the temp warning icon appeared, and at 24 minutes, the camera displayed an over-temp indication and stopped recording. Camera temp (checked with IR thermometer) was 120 deg. F.

- When put in the waterproof enclosure and submerged, the camera didn't over-heat.

- When put in the waterproof enclosure and not under water, the camera over heated and stopped recording in about 15 minutes.

- I tried my wired remote control, that I use on the AX100, and it didn't work with this camera, so no Lanc capability (neither does the AX33).

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2016, 08:16 PM   #17
Major Player

Deleted.. double-post.

Last edited by Mark Watson; September 5th, 2016 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Lost the satellite.
Old September 5th, 2016, 08:46 PM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Watson View Post
Haven't had a chance to put it through all the paces yet but some initial observations:

- The batteries take about 4 hours to charge, and shooting 4K 30P 100Mbps don't last too long. I bought 2 extra batteries (one is included) but didn't get the AC charger, which you will want to have so you can charge more than one battery at a time. There is only one charger/USB cable in the kit, so you cannot charge the camera and the wrist watch LCD remote simultaneously. So maybe I need an extra cable plus the AC charger.

- The camera over heats and stops recording. Had it recording 4K 30P 100Mbps with Wi-Fi and GPS enabled. Room temp was 88 deg. F. I noticed after 15 minutes the temp warning icon appeared, and at 24 minutes, the camera displayed an over-temp indication and stopped recording. Camera temp (checked with IR thermometer) was 120 deg. F.

- When put in the waterproof enclosure and submerged, the camera didn't over-heat.

- When put in the waterproof enclosure and not under water, the camera over heated and stopped recording in about 15 minutes.

- I tried my wired remote control, that I use on the AX100, and it didn't work with this camera, so no Lanc capability (neither does the AX33).

Mark
While this is useful information, is this what you do first when you get a new camera - just run it continuously to see how long it lasts? Nothing about video or stills quality? performance of the new, amazing stabilizer?

Just to put this in perspective: The Sony RX100 IV can only shoot 5 minutes of 4K video; hard wired limit. The Panasonic LX100 is hard-limited in 4K to 15 minutes. The GoPro heats up badly, first making the videos soft and then quitting. The Samsung 360 Gear loses focus after 5 minutes of shooting and then shuts down soon thereafter.

You don't use an action cam, or a small camera, to shoot a concert or a speech or a complete wedding.

The X3000 can be remotely controlled by either a cell phone or its tiny liveview remote; with those you can control just about every setting on the camera, and from long distances, and see what the camera sees as well. And you are worried about wired Lanc control? Why? Again, that is your first priority for a wifi-enabled action cam, Lanc control?
Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2016, 05:32 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Watson View Post
s.

Mark
The AX33 like my AX53 requires a different LANC controller than in the past because the USB connector is different. The connection with the controllers of the new Sony tripods work. I have a Sony VCT-VPR100 that has cables for all the Sony cameras. Why do you want a wired controller?

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2016, 10:54 AM   #20
Trustee

The Sony VP-R1 wired remote works with the X3000. This is the current protocol that Sony uses for all of its cameras and camcorders, which have multi-terminals (micro-usb form). This list includes DSC-HX300, DSC-HX50V, DSC-RX100M2, NEX-3NL, SLT-A57, SLT-A58, DSC-RX100M2, M3, M4, RX10, II and II, NEX-3NL, Alpha a7, Alpha 7R, Alpha A5000, Alpha A3000, HDR-CX220, HDR-CX230, HDR-CX290, HDR-CX380, HDR-CX430V, HDR-PJ230, HDR-PJ380, HDR-PJ430V, HDR-PJ650V, HDR-PJ790V, AX100, AX53, etc.

So, not only does the X3000 have wired remote capability (why would anyone care?) and wireless remote capability through Bluetooth and wifi using a cellphone or its own live-view remote, it also works with Sony IR remotes! It has more remote options than any camera.

Oh, but the X3000 does not have a SCSI port or a serial port or a VGA port.

Last edited by Mark Rosenzweig; September 6th, 2016 at 12:45 PM.
Old September 6th, 2016, 03:28 PM   #21
Major Player

I know about the wireless remote capability. There's a 70 page manual that covers that. I read in the main manual that when shooting 4K, battery life will be cut down to half when using the Wi-Fi, to about 25 minutes. I don't have a scenario in mind where I'd use the wired remote option, just want to find out what the camera can/can't do just in case I would want to control it some way other than wireless. If all I want to do is start/stop record, wired remote is good enough for that. Not planning to shoot an interview or wedding with this, not saying anyone shouldn't either. Just because it's an "action" cam doesn't mean you can't use it for something other than the examples shown in the marketing brochure.

The micro USB jack on this camera is the same as on the AX100 and my wired remote was at hand so I plugged it in. Didn't work. There's no mention in the manual of using a wired remote.

As stated previously, I haven't had a chance to put the camera through its paces, no real opportunity to shoot an "action" scene outdoors in sunshine. I haven't watched any, but I hear about videos being posted on-line for this camera already.

Mark
Old September 6th, 2016, 03:57 PM   #22
Inner Circle

The AX100 and the AX53 have different protocols. The AX100 will work with converter cables from normal LANC controllers. The AX53 will not.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2016, 06:22 PM   #23
Trustee

4K Test Video: Handheld, BOSS only, 60 Mbps

I used the new finger grip with the lvr3 LiveView wifi remote, one hand:

It does yield steady shots, but walking while shooting is a no go (at least with Active off). Active on reduces resolution and crops but gives even more stability.
Old September 7th, 2016, 06:12 PM   #24
Trustee

More handheld, 100 Mbps, Vivid.
Old September 9th, 2016, 09:02 AM   #25
Trustee

Pricing and Availability in North America

From Sony PR:

The new Sony FDR-X3000 will be sold as body only for about $400 US ($550 CA), and will be offered as a kit (model FDR-X3000R) with the new Live-View Remote for about $550 US ($700 CA).

The new Sony HDR-AS300 will be sold as a body only for about $300 US ($400 CA) and will be offered as a kit (model HDR-AS300R) with the new Live-View Remote for about $450 US ($550 CA).

The new AKA-FGP1 finger grip will be sold for about $25 US ($40 CA), and the AKA-MCP1 lens shield will be sold for about $35 US ($50 CA).

All products will be available in North America in late September at authorized dealers.
Old September 9th, 2016, 11:55 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Hi Mark:
THAT IS GREAT NEWS, I WAS GOING TO ORDER FROM JAPAN, BUT I CAN WAIT.
THE PRICES QUOTED FOR THE USA ARE ALSO SUPER DUPER.

CAN YOU PROVIDE A LINK????........ I TALKED TO B&H THE OTHER DAY AND THEY HAD NO CLUE

THANKS,
LUIS
Luis A. Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2016, 12:20 PM   #27
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis A. Diaz View Post
Hi Mark:
THAT IS GREAT NEWS, I WAS GOING TO ORDER FROM JAPAN, BUT I CAN WAIT.
THE PRICES QUOTED FOR THE USA ARE ALSO SUPER DUPER.

CAN YOU PROVIDE A LINK????........ I TALKED TO B&H THE OTHER DAY AND THEY HAD NO CLUE

THANKS,
LUIS
FDR-X3000 4K Action Cam with Wi-FiŽ & GPS | FDR-X3000 / FDR-X3000R | Sony US

Note: The posted price for the kit (camera plus LVR3 is obviously wrong). The camera alone price is indeed $399. That is $100 less than the X1000 was selling for when it came out, and the X3000 is better in many, many ways.
Old September 10th, 2016, 03:51 PM   #28
Trustee

Low-Light 4K Test Video

Old September 11th, 2016, 09:32 AM   #29
Major Player

Re: Low-Light 4K Test Video

Got one from Japan yesterday, and spent a little time with it. BOSS is very impressive. Haven't done any mounting so don't know yet how it handles vibration. Also, no experience yet with longer runs and possibly overheating. The iPad interface seems to work well, and ultimately I want to know how well it works with multiple cameras. Also, I'd like to use GPS logging - any clues how to make this display with the ActionCam software?
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2016, 01:53 PM   #30
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles W. Hull View Post
Got one from Japan yesterday, and spent a little time with it. BOSS is very impressive. Haven't done any mounting so don't know yet how it handles vibration. Also, no experience yet with longer runs and possibly overheating. The iPad interface seems to work well, and ultimately I want to know how well it works with multiple cameras. Also, I'd like to use GPS logging - any clues how to make this display with the ActionCam software?
This is a video I made using the X1000 and the Action Cam software using GPS logging. I learned how to do it reading the help in the software. At that time it would only produce HD, not 4K, video output with the GPS overlay. I have not checked if that is changed.

Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems