Sony X3000 Action Cam with BOSS in 4K! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems

Micro / POV Camera Systems
Covering the GoPro HERO and other small Point-Of-View video cameras.

Old June 22nd, 2016, 06:12 PM   #1
Trustee

Sony X3000 Action Cam with BOSS in 4K!

FDR-X3000

Video shows walking with the camera, and no shakes. Also BOSS works in HFR.

Other improvements are flat bottom (finally), less lens distortion, and AE shift. Also one can set the WB temperature - no more silly cloud and light bulb symbols, new menu system, and more. Still has external mic in, ability to power with an external battery, time code.
Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2016, 09:44 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Sony X3000 Action Cam with BOSS in 4K!

Hi Mark:
Now this is really a game changer in Action cam, I always wanted the Image Stabilization for 4K in the FDR-1000 but now even a BOSS system in 4K is really cool and also choice of angle of view for wide,medium and narrow is also a welcome feature, the fact that the stabilization is on camera for 4K in an Action Cam will sure be a problem for the GoPro.
Any idea when it will be available???? by the translation of the price in Japanese Yen it looks like it will be about the same price as the 1000.

Thanks,
Luis
Luis A. Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2016, 07:12 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi all
t has been more than two months on the 1st of September that this new camera has been out and available in Japan, I see new videos every day on Youtube from people using it.
does any one has any idea when it will be available in the USA ??? Sony site does not even mention it for preorder

Thanks,
Luis

Last edited by Luis A. Diaz; August 25th, 2016 at 07:14 PM. Reason: adding content
Old August 28th, 2016, 08:22 PM   #4
Major Player

In Asia I also haven't seen it on sale anywhere except Japan and only in a Japanese version. Maybe this unusually long delay has been due to parts shortage as the result of the Kumamoto earthquake? Sony may have to prioritize their available resources to supply the most important markets such as cellphone and fullframe sensors first before clearing the backlogs somewhere down.

Anyway this camera is truly amazing based on the Japanese videos I have seen. Far less barrel distortion than the X1000's non-stabilized 4K at the expense of more limited FoV but this can actually work to its advantage because many people, myself included, prefer a more conservative and realistically looking FoV from action footage than the around 170 degrees captured by the X1000 and Go Pro Black. The much more stable footage is of course where it has no comparison.
Wacharapong Chiowanich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2016, 11:30 PM   #5
Major Player

Some more pictures of the X3000.

????.com - ??? SONY FDR-X3000R W [????4K??????????? ??????? ????????????? ????]??????

Mark
Mark Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2016, 09:15 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacharapong Chiowanich View Post
In Asia I also haven't seen it on sale anywhere except Japan and only in a Japanese version. Maybe this unusually long delay has been due to parts shortage as the result of the Kumamoto earthquake? Sony may have to prioritize their available resources to supply the most important markets such as cellphone and fullframe sensors first before clearing the backlogs somewhere down.

Anyway this camera is truly amazing based on the Japanese videos I have seen. Far less barrel distortion than the X1000's non-stabilized 4K at the expense of more limited FoV but this can actually work to its advantage because many people, myself included, prefer a more conservative and realistically looking FoV from action footage than the around 170 degrees captured by the X1000 and Go Pro Black. The much more stable footage is of course where it has no comparison.
What do you mean by a "Japanese version"? The menus are in English and the camera is NTSC/PAL switchable. So, what is special about it?
Old August 30th, 2016, 04:52 AM   #7
Major Player

I saw the camera in a big store in Akihabara but not sure if it's Yodabashi and it was not in the "export" section where both PAL and NTSC video gear with full Engish menu was normally on sale. It was in the larger Japanese section where most products were intended for the domestic market only. Couldn't figure out all the Japanese signs and the salesperson in that section could (understandably) barely speak English.

Still don't get it if it's a true worldcam with full English menu why they haven't made it available elsewhere in limited number (no production variance required) to at least gain more sales.
Wacharapong Chiowanich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2016, 11:19 AM   #8
Trustee

Just to clarify:

1. All the menu items are strictly icons. There is no language in the camera.

2. While the "Japanese" version comes with a manual in Japanese, you can download the manual in English from any Sony site in any country, including the US.

3. The camera is NTSC/PAL switchable.

Thus, the FDR X3000 can be used in any country. There is only one version, just like the X1000.

You can order one via Amazon from Japanese sellers for less than $600 including shipping.

I don't know why it is not marketed outside Japan (yet). The new AS50 Sony action cam is, and has the exact same (new) menu system and buttons as the X3000 (except for the 4K choices). Indeed, the manual for the AS50 is the same as the X3000.
Old August 30th, 2016, 04:04 PM   #9
Major Player

At the Yodobashi store, they also have the FDR-AX40 and -AX55 on display. They only have Japanese menus. I noticed Amazon.com offers all these Japanese domestic models for sale, so it seems you could try to order them, including the X3000. The AX40 has time code, but is smaller than the AX53.

Mark
Old September 1st, 2016, 05:03 AM   #10
Major Player

Picked one up today. I don't know how they could fit the BOSS inside this body. The menu is all English. On the box, there's a note "For US customers only..." (tells you to send to Sony for repair, and not return it where you bought it). Maybe it will turn up outside Japan eventually. Lots of time code options. Only comes in white.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Sony X3000 Action Cam with BOSS in 4K!-fdr-x3000-menu.jpg  
Old September 1st, 2016, 06:29 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Hi All:
Sony FDR-x3000 announced at IFA CONSUMER ELECTRONIC SHOW IN BERLIN, starts shipping in November Meet FDR-X3000R; the new BOSS of the Action Cam world - Sony Corporation

Thanks,
Luis
Old September 4th, 2016, 10:31 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rosenzweig View Post
Just to clarify:

2. While the "Japanese" version comes with a manual in Japanese, you can download the manual in English from any Sony site in any country, including the US.
I can't find the manual on the U.S. Sony site. The Japanese site only has Japanese. Is there another country site with an English manual?
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2016, 01:41 AM   #13
Major Player

FDR-X3000 English Manual

http://helpguide.sony.net/cam/1640/v1/en/print.pdf
Old September 5th, 2016, 09:36 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Watson View Post
Perfect Mark, thanks!
Charles W. Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2016, 08:04 PM   #15
Major Player

Deleted.... Experiencing Technical Difficulties. Please Stand By....

Last edited by Mark Watson; September 5th, 2016 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Ultra slow internet playing havoc!
Mark Watson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems