DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Micro / POV Camera Systems (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/micro-pov-camera-systems/)
-   -   Report on the Yi 4K+ (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/micro-pov-camera-systems/534536-report-yi-4k.html)

Mark Rosenzweig September 12th, 2017 11:41 AM

Re: Report on the Yi 4K+

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Dempsey (Post 1936343)
fantastic watching on a 4k 27" hp envy monitor and it's quite lovely.
Any focusing or is the depth of field everything out there?
Have you shot any stage stuff with it?

The wide-angle lens ensures a big DOF. See the close-ups of the telescope, with the distant vista still in focus.

No stage stuff yet - the camera does need a lot of light.

Bruce Dempsey September 12th, 2017 03:16 PM

Have you defished the footage or is it unaltered?
Most cameras do well in daylight so it will be interesting to see some spotlit stuff

Mark Rosenzweig September 12th, 2017 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Dempsey (Post 1936368)
Have you defished the footage or is it unaltered?
Most cameras do well in daylight so it will be interesting to see some spotlit stuff

No alteration in post, except some gamma adjustments.

There is a spot meter mode, which will be very useful for spotlit scenes!

Mark Rosenzweig September 13th, 2017 09:37 AM

Joggers in slow motion in 4K

Mark Rosenzweig September 17th, 2017 08:05 PM

24p, 2:39 aspect ratio, shot flat color and color graded.

Bruce Dempsey September 18th, 2017 06:45 AM

I'm wondering if the Yi 4K +1 will employ the DSCRX0 1" sensor?
Have you any indoor footage to show? please and thank you :)

Mark Rosenzweig September 18th, 2017 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruce Dempsey (Post 1936541)
I'm wondering if the Yi 4K +1 will employ the DSCRX0 1" sensor?
Have you any indoor footage to show? please and thank you :)

Here is low-light 4K test footage - shot at 4K24P ISO 800. It was very dark - one light bulb in the ceiling. This was shot to imitate what the scene looked like, not to push to make it brighter than it looked to the naked eye.

Dave Baker September 19th, 2017 12:34 AM

Is there any control over the audio level or is it AGC like the GoPros?

Bruce Dempsey September 19th, 2017 06:19 AM

thanks, that was illuminating :)
not to shabby at all and quite natural. I could get 2 of these for the price or a RX0

Mark Rosenzweig September 19th, 2017 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Baker (Post 1936575)
Is there any control over the audio level or is it AGC like the GoPros?

I hate AGC, squashing dynamics and pushing up noise when there are low level sounds. However, in recent years almost all cameras use a limiter rather than aggressive AGC, and it is much better.

The Yi 4K+ allows setting two levels for audio, low and high. High is the "natural" setting. The dynamic range is large, with no pumping. 'Low' is for rock concerts, where the levels are very loud and constant.

At 2:34 in this video, a train passes by. You can hear the incredible dynamic range - from soft to very loud to soft again. That can only happen without aggressive AGC. I can see it on the audio waveform.

If you listen to some of the above posted videos with ambient sound, you will also hear large differences in amplitude depending on closeness to subject and subject levels.

Dave Baker September 19th, 2017 09:49 AM

Thanks Mark.

I had to ask, we went for a ride on a road "train", a diesel powered mock steam locomotive with a few seated cars behind. I only had the GoPro (Hero 4 Silver) handy, so I used it with the stereo Igomic, which gives better quality audio at a lower level than the cheapies, but as we passed buildings the sound level was pumping like mad. Editing is going to be fun!

I am impressed with both the video and audio from your Yi 4K+, so now I need to decide whether to replace the Hero or do without as I did before.

Roger Gunkel September 22nd, 2017 05:07 AM

I bought the Yi 4K camera a couple of weeks ago rather than the 4K+ version as I didn't need the extras and the general technical spec was pretty much identical. I am generally pleased with the overall performance of the camera compared with my GoPros and SJ4000s with one exception. Neither my 4K LG tv or my editing system Magix Media Edit Pro 7 will play any of the files from the camera. Magix will normally play absolutely anything and I frequently mix 4K footage from my Panny cams with HD footage. With footage from the Yi, Magix just locks up, although Windows media player will play it. The LG tv comes up with a message that says 'unplayable Format'.

Although the files show as MP4, I don't understand why they are not recognised by Magix or the LG. Has anyone else had this problem with the Yi or can suggest a solution?

Something else I have noticed is that in moderate low light, there is quite heavy graininess/artefacts on any movement. of the subject or the camera. Mark's low light test video is on a totally stationary subject so doesn't show it. It seems to be a common problem with all the action cams, but I expected a bit more from the Sony chip and a 4K spec.

Roger

Mark Rosenzweig September 22nd, 2017 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roger Gunkel (Post 1936667)
I bought the Yi 4K camera a couple of weeks ago rather than the 4K+ version as I didn't need the extras and the general technical spec was pretty much identical. I am generally pleased with the overall performance of the camera compared with my GoPros and SJ4000s with one exception. Neither my 4K LG tv or my editing system Magix Media Edit Pro 7 will play any of the files from the camera. Magix will normally play absolutely anything and I frequently mix 4K footage from my Panny cams with HD footage. With footage from the Yi, Magix just locks up, although Windows media player will play it. The LG tv comes up with a message that says 'unplayable Format'.

Although the files show as MP4, I don't understand why they are not recognised by Magix or the LG. Has anyone else had this problem with the Yi or can suggest a solution?

Something else I have noticed is that in moderate low light, there is quite heavy graininess/artefacts on any movement. of the subject or the camera. Mark's low light test video is on a totally stationary subject so doesn't show it. It seems to be a common problem with all the action cams, but I expected a bit more from the Sony chip and a 4K spec.

Roger

This is an odd post in a thread labeled and devoted to the 4K+. The 4K+ has a processor that is twice as powerful as the one in the camera you are posting about. That is relevant not only to the ability to shoot 4K60p, which your camera cannot, but also to low light IQ, since low-light video undergoes noise-reduction processing - that is very processor intensive. So, we cannot know whether what you are seeing in terms of artifacts in low light is the result of having a processor that is too weak, a processor that is similar in power to all action cams that have come out prior to the 4K+.

Roger Gunkel September 25th, 2017 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Rosenzweig (Post 1936684)
This is an odd post in a thread labeled and devoted to the 4K+. The 4K+ has a processor that is twice as powerful as the one in the camera you are posting about. That is relevant not only to the ability to shoot 4K60p, which your camera cannot, but also to low light IQ, since low-light video undergoes noise-reduction processing - that is very processor intensive. So, we cannot know whether what you are seeing in terms of artifacts in low light is the result of having a processor that is too weak, a processor that is similar in power to all action cams that have come out prior to the 4K+.

Sorry to make an odd post on your thread Mark I thought there might be some advice available but my bad! I'll disappear and wear sackcloth :-)

Roger

Mark Rosenzweig October 9th, 2017 12:20 PM

On the Zhiyun Evolution gimbal.