Report on the Yi 4K+ - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Micro / POV Camera Systems
Covering the GoPro HERO and other small Point-Of-View video cameras.

Old November 8th, 2017, 03:58 PM   #61
Trustee

Re: Report on the Yi 4K+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Levine View Post
I'm noticing a fair amount of micro shakes in some shots, did you post any videos where you had the EIS turned on?

cheers
Can you cite some specifics? All the shots were from camera + gimbal. It is a fantasy that EIS can stabilize effectively when the camera is moving, and also does not severely impact resolution. For that reason, all the clips are gimbal shots precisely to avoid resolution loss and to minimize shakiness.
Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2017, 07:00 AM   #62
Major Player

Hey Mark you've prolly mentioned this somewhere so forgive the question pls: Clean hdmi output?
Bruce Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2017, 05:11 AM   #63
Regular Crew

Hi all - sorry to interrupt the thread, but this is a response to how the Yi 4k+ can perform in concert (indoor) settings (with low-ish lighting).

Here is a sample of a video of a concert I recorded last Saturday. It uses two cameras; Sony AX100 (in 4k25p, cropping in post) for the front wide shot / medium close ups shot from the back of the hall, and the Yi 4K+ (recording in 2.7k25p mode) shooting a wide-angle of the audience from the back of the stage.

(Please excuse the lighting - we don't have fill-lights yet).

I've used the 2.7k mode because it was a sort of "half-way house" between full HD and 4K (and also because you can correct the lens distortion on the camera in this mode unlike the 4K50p / 60p mode).

The Yi 4k+ was actually recording for 265 minutes non-stop, and was still warm when I turned it off. This camera was connected to the mains using a long USB cable attached to a Samsung phone charger.

Note that these clips have been colour-corrected in post, but for your information some of the settings on the Yi 4k+ were as follows:

White balance: Native
Shutter speed: 1/25
No lens correction
Sharpness: low
Video Quality: medium
ISO: 1600
EV: -0.5
Flat colour.

The hall was quite warm for such a large space (even though it was about 2/3rds full).

This camera has passed the long-recording test with flying colours :). The concert went on for about 4 hours. I really REALLY like this camera! :D

Last edited by Bryan Quarrie; November 13th, 2017 at 07:52 AM.
Bryan Quarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2017, 06:38 AM   #64
Major Player

Hey Bryan, could you post a clip (just a few seconds) right out of the yi camera completely un-touched in post please and thank you
Old November 13th, 2017, 07:51 AM   #65
Regular Crew

Hi Bruce - Here is a raw segment from the end of the concert (unfortunately I couldn't take the cut from the clip that I originally supplied, as it would mean that I would have to re-render that section in my NLE).

The Yi 4k+ created this raw segment, as I've set the camera to record long takes as 3Gb segments, but this segment lasts about 2 minutes - Of course you don't have to watch all of it).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nztcbfjqzh...01924.MP4?dl=0
Old November 13th, 2017, 08:00 AM   #66
Major Player

thanks Bryan
Old November 13th, 2017, 08:15 AM   #67
Regular Crew

You're welcome.

One other thing to mention is that the lights were a mixture of sodium (white) and tungsten lights (the spotlights on the pulpit/stage). Also they were on constantly throughout the evening, so no changes in lighting even at the end.

PS - There is no HDMI port on this camera.

Bryan
Old November 13th, 2017, 03:04 PM   #68
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Quarrie View Post

One other thing to mention is that the lights were a mixture of sodium (white) and tungsten lights (the spotlights on the pulpit/stage). Also they were on constantly throughout the evening, so no changes in lighting even at the end.
Thank you for the video and clip. What is "Native" white balance? And why did you use it?
Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2017, 03:52 PM   #69
Regular Crew

Hi Mark - To be honest I just chose Native because it seemed close to the colour look I was after. I suppose I could’ve chose Auto as the colours of the lights didn’t change throughout the concert.

Oddly the manual didn’t really say much about the Native setting either (it just says "the original colour" without a more detailed explanation), so if anyone knows, please enlighten us!

Last edited by Bryan Quarrie; November 14th, 2017 at 08:51 AM.
Old November 16th, 2017, 03:45 AM   #70
Regular Crew

post deleted

Last edited by Bryan Quarrie; November 16th, 2017 at 02:34 PM.
Old November 16th, 2017, 12:01 PM   #71
Major Player

I hate to be the one to ask but did butter from the rolls or something get smeared on the lens by accident because this is so much below what I expected from this little camera. There must be some explanation.
Old November 16th, 2017, 12:55 PM   #72
Regular Crew

post deleted

Last edited by Bryan Quarrie; November 16th, 2017 at 02:35 PM.
Old November 16th, 2017, 12:56 PM   #73
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Dempsey View Post
I hate to be the one to ask but did butter from the rolls or something get smeared on the lens by accident because this is so much below what I expected from this little camera. There must be some explanation.
If 2.7k mode zoomed in is still not good for you, there's always 4k mode. I havent got any indoor examples to show - maybe someone else can chime in...?

Last edited by Bryan Quarrie; November 16th, 2017 at 02:36 PM.
Old November 16th, 2017, 04:33 PM   #74
Major Player

Hi Bryan
Ah zoomed in. But that is a fixed focal length lens.
By any chance did you shoot any footage without the zoom?
Thanks
Bruce
Old November 16th, 2017, 05:23 PM   #75
Regular Crew

Hi Bruce - check out the original raw footage. It was already shot at its widest setting (in camera).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nztcbfjqzh...01924.MP4?dl=0

The last two clips I did post (I've taken the 2nd one down now) had "zoomed" sections that were actually cropped digitally in post (I use Magix Vegas Pro as my video editing software).

The Yi 4k+ camera is a fixed focal lens camera, but it has 3 different field of view settings built-in, depending on the video mode - Narrow, Medium and Wide. These settings basically crop the sensor to "zoom" the image to the 3 field of view settings.

Still, it is a good way to simulate multiple "angles", especially when recording in higher resolutions.

BTW - I dont know if it has been mentioned before, but the lens distortion can be corrected in-camera in 4K! (but not in 4K50/60p though). Still, the fisheye isnt as much as on other action cams I use (I also have a sony X1000V and X3000).
To me this is excellent as it means I could crop the image without making it look as if it were cropped from a fisheye image (especially when cropping or"zooming" at the corners of the footage - i.e. the Livestream Mevo "look").

Regards,
Bryan

Last edited by Bryan Quarrie; November 16th, 2017 at 05:55 PM.
Bryan Quarrie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems