Report on the Yi 4K+ - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems

Micro / POV Camera Systems
Covering the GoPro HERO and other small Point-Of-View video cameras.

Old November 16th, 2017, 05:50 PM   #76
Trustee

Re: Report on the Yi 4K+

I switched to the Zhiyun Smooth Q gimbal. I think that other than putting the cam on a tripod and shooting long events, the best use for any action cam is on a gimbal - EIS quite visibly lowers video quality and simply does not stabilize well when moving (this is true for any camera). Still, one has to practice with a gimbal, and that is what I am doing.

Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2017, 06:08 PM   #77
Regular Crew

Very smooth, Mark :) - The music fits the video as well!
Bryan Quarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2017, 06:28 PM   #78
Major Player

Well to me Image is everything. First thing, second thing, everything and I can't get past those smeary faces. I just have an ordinary hp 4k monitor but those faces in the crowd can't be more than 240p
Bruce Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2017, 05:41 AM   #79
Regular Crew

Well, it is a limitation for your expectations. But, for me, because the end product would be a DVD, It's ok (Apart from that "over-zoomed clip", I've rectified it since. Also note, that hardly any in-camera sharpening was selected when recording).

I still wouldn't knock the potential for this camera. It is what it is after all.

Bryan
Old November 17th, 2017, 10:57 AM   #80
Major Player

Hi Bryan
I fiddle with the settings so much at times that I have to restore factory defaults to get a camera behaving properly again. Then try shooting a scene native as the camera suggests without re-fiddling just to confirm.
Bruce
Old November 20th, 2017, 02:30 AM   #81
Regular Crew

Hi Bruce - sorry to hear that. Updating the firmware should resolve that issue. Ever since I've bought mine, I've always made a habit of checking if a new firmware has come out for the camera to sort out stability issues, add new features etc. I'm still enjoying the creative possibilities of this machine 😎.

Here is an earlier clip, this time in 4K50p. Colour-correction, brightness and sharpening was done in post (I couldve done it in-camera, but didnt).

(Yes - that guy on the piano is me ☺, accompanied by my fellow musician buddies. The situation was a church gathering during a 10 minute interval).

Once again, the clip was originally shot in Native WB, but with ISO 800, 1/50 shutter. No Lens correction.
This time the camera was powered by the battery, and I managed to get about 90 minutes out of it before it shut down.

I also have the raw footage of the same clip for examination:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w5i1n6ut0z...00805.MP4?dl=0

Regards,
Bryan.

Btw - the audio on this cam isnt too bad at all 😊
Old November 20th, 2017, 06:50 AM   #82
Major Player

this Youtube clip is leaps and bounds improvement. The folks way in the background full screen on a 4k monitor are nice and sharp, not blurry and smeared - awesome. Dropbox version must get scaled down or something because its of a much lower resolution than the youtube clip

Last edited by Bruce Dempsey; November 20th, 2017 at 08:18 AM.
Old November 20th, 2017, 09:43 AM   #83
Regular Crew

Sharpness can be tweaked in-camera, but I'm a fan of doing it in software :) Whenever I shoot with the Yi 4k+ I tend to use as flat an image profile as I can before editing the footage (in terms of colour, brightness/contrast and sharpness).

This camera can produce a great picture when tweaking those colour/white balance/sharpness out of the box, but for me the REAL test is in tweaking the image so that the same look is matched by my other cameras as closely as possible in a multicam situation.

If I was pushed for time, I would use the settings in-camera to produce the final image, but that's not my preference - I like getting the most out of raw footage.

Dropbox version is as-is.
Old December 6th, 2017, 09:31 PM   #84
Trustee

Old December 12th, 2017, 01:41 AM   #85
Regular Crew

Hi Mark - Do you use the Lens Correction function on this camera?

I've just come back from a concert I recorded using the Yi 4k+ as one of the locked-off cams. I was using the Lens Correction and I've noticed that the foreground objects looked sharp, but the background objects' detail looked a bit smeared (as Bruce says), but the edges of the objects are sharp oddly enough.

Alternatively I've also got ProDad DeFishr software to get rid of the fisheye with better results, but it takes ages to perform the task.

I'll upload a still of the shot later.
Old February 6th, 2018, 09:18 AM   #86
Regular Crew

This is an experimental self-portrait clip. This was originally shot in 4k50p, Yi Colour mode, but I used a black & white preset on NewblueFX Film colour plugin in Vegas 15.

I then slowed the video to about 65%, and exported as XAVC25p (4k).

It was a sunny day, but it turned me into a silhouette, so I had to adjust the exposure with a bias for the shadows.

I like the result. To stabilise the footage I used Mercalli V4, as i couldnt on the Yi4k+ at 4k50p.

Old February 9th, 2018, 09:03 AM   #87
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Quarrie View Post
This is an experimental self-portrait clip. This was originally shot in 4k50p, Yi Colour mode, but I used a black & white preset on NewblueFX Film colour plugin in Vegas 15.

I then slowed the video to about 65%, and exported as XAVC25p (4k).

It was a sunny day, but it turned me into a silhouette, so I had to adjust the exposure with a bias for the shadows.

I like the result. To stabilise the footage I used Mercalli V4, as i couldnt on the Yi4k+ at 4k50p.
I like the result. Since you were going for B&W, I wonder if you would have been better off shooting with the Yi flat color profile, which may give better DR.

Given the backlight, might you have done better using the spot meter option, which would read the light off your face only? Obviously, the ev adjustment does the trick too.

I think one of the great advantages of shooting 4K and 50p is the ability to slow down the "action" and still have 4K.
Old February 9th, 2018, 09:36 AM   #88
Regular Crew

Hi Mark, thanks for the critique.

Youre right about the flat profile. I originally wanted to see how it held up in Yi colour but changed my mind after the shot hence I changed it to B&W. Still, it was an off the cuff thing so I’ll bear in mind if I do it again. Same thing about the spot meter.

On the raw footage the clouds (not seen here) looked really nice, but it completely silhoutted me out.

4K50p is great but I suppose it depends on what you are shooting (in terms of how much detail you wish to capture at that frame rate). For me, for slow-motion it is great because I like to see all the lovely small details in the background while at the same I am looking at the main subject.

Last edited by Bryan Quarrie; February 9th, 2018 at 02:17 PM.
Old February 12th, 2018, 07:32 PM   #89
Trustee

In the Rain in 4K 60P

Slow motion excerpts:

Old February 13th, 2018, 12:09 PM   #90
Major Player

Mark, that is awesome! I was ready to pull the pin on a Yi 4K but I happened upon a trade for another brand. Big mistake! The lens on brand X looked like I was shooting through a fish bowl. The edges were so distorted and soft as to make the clips useless.

Your latest work has me shaking the piggy bank.

Thanks
Dan Gunn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems