Report on the Yi 4K+ at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems

Micro / POV Camera Systems
Covering the GoPro HERO and other small Point-Of-View video cameras.

Old August 14th, 2017, 10:39 AM   #1
Trustee

Report on the Yi 4K+

The Yi 4K+ uses a new processor. It has four advantages due to its being more powerful and more energy efficient:

1. One can now shoot UHD (4K) video at 60 fps.
2. One can shoot UHD at 30 fps with EIS that is very sophisticated.
3. Battery life is longer.
4. No overheating.

Why do we care about 60 fps? Actually, I can never detect the difference between video shot at 30p and 60p. The key advantage is that you can slow down the video and still have 4K, using 30p as the rendered video.

Why is slowing down useful? You can smooth out camera moves - it smooths out pans and, most importantly, smooths moving with the camera (on a gimbal) - and subject action slowed down makes that action more interesting.

I decided to test out this new camera, taking advantage of its 60p in 4K. I had a gimbal, so I could move with the camera (it also produces motorized pans). To achieve the minimum weight (125 grams) for the gimbal (Feiyu Crane M) I put the camera in its waterproof case. So, I was going to shoot on the beach, temperature over 80 degrees (F) sealed in an airtight case! Will it overheat?

The results:

1. I shot for a period of 1 hour 31 minutes, never turning off the camera in the hot sun, until the battery ran out (first charge). This is longer than any small camera I have used.

2. I shot 50 minutes of 135 Mbps “footage” taking up 51 GBs on the micro sd card during that time.

3. No overheating - again, the camera was on the whole time, and 55% of the time the camera was recording. No other small camera I have used (Sony RX100 IV, GoPro Hero 4 Black and Hero 5, Samsung 360 Gear, Kodak 360 4K) could do that, not even close. Now, overheating can shut the camera down or it can cook the sensor (hello, GoPro and Kodak and Samsung), resulting in low-resolution results. Neither happened.

And here is the edited video, shot on the gimbal - with smooth slowed pans, and slowed moving with the camera and static shots, some slowed. You are seeing 4K, a dynamic video and slow motion!

Now, what about using the camera without a gimbal? How good is the EIS in 4K (30p) in eliminating shakes? Here is the 4K test video, all handheld (static shoots).

Pretty amazing, and I do not see much loss (if any) in resolution. Handheld, 4K, tiny camera - better than the Sony BOSS.
Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2017, 11:38 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Report on the Yi 4K+

Concerning the first video there is a problem with skipping a frame every second or so.
How did you convert the 60p to 29.97p?

Also the video has superwhites,if you bring the superwhites into legal you can recover some highlights.
Cary Knoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2017, 11:44 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary Knoop View Post
Concerning the first video there is a problem with skipping a frame every second or so.
How did you convert the 60p to 29.97p?
I noticed that too. I used Vegas Pro 14: velocity envelope to 52%, then stretch, disable resample. The frame skipping (or whatever it is) ruins the idea that slowing down smooths! Allowing resample results in ghosting/
Old August 14th, 2017, 11:45 AM   #4
Major Player

I do not know Vegas, can you reinterpret the footage as 29.976 in Vegas? That way it just renders the frames at a slower pace instead of changing/skipping them.
Old August 14th, 2017, 12:38 PM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
I do not know Vegas, can you reinterpret the footage as 29.976 in Vegas? That way it just renders the frames at a slower pace instead of changing/skipping them.
"Reinterpret" is not a command. all the 60p frames were rendered at 30p, and the ones not slowed down are perfect.
Old August 14th, 2017, 01:42 PM   #6
Major Player

Still there is something that went wrong.
Old August 14th, 2017, 02:44 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Still there is something that went wrong.
Yes, I agree. Perhaps someone with experience with Vegas can also help. I may play around with some settings to see. Thank you for looking, and noticing.
Old August 14th, 2017, 04:54 PM   #8
Trustee

The problem is fixed

I will be uploading the replacement video tonight (the fraction slowdown had slipped away from 50%).
Old August 14th, 2017, 06:25 PM   #9
Major Player

very nice stuff
I've sworn off buying any new cameras but..
What about charging it if I don't have any usbc. I thought I did when I got a hp envy4k but it wasn't
That dramatic music blasting from some speakers somewhere around there? lol
Bruce Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2017, 06:37 PM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Dempsey View Post
very nice stuff
I've sworn off buying any new cameras but..
What about charging it if I don't have any usbc. I thought I did when I got a hp envy4k but it wasn't
That dramatic music blasting from some speakers somewhere around there? lol
The usbc port is on the camera, you get a usbc to usb A cable in the box. All a.c. adapters giving out at least 1.5 amps (5 volts) will work to charge, as they all have the standard usbc a port. The camera will work without a battery, just needs 2 amps from an external battery or ac. For $17 from Amazon you can get a charger and two extra batteries. So you can lose the cable...

Whenever people walk in slow motion there must be dramatic music :).
Old August 14th, 2017, 08:20 PM   #11
Trustee

The fixed gimbal video is now on line

Same link (but I will repeat it here). Smoother motion in the slow motion segments from fixing my glitch in the software.

Old August 15th, 2017, 02:03 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Thanks for your time,Mark
The footage looks good.
Old August 17th, 2017, 11:37 AM   #13
Trustee

Does time-lapse in 4K (from 4:2:2 jpegs and raw!)

This was made from 4000x3000 4:2:2 jpegs.
Old August 26th, 2017, 08:12 AM   #14
Trustee

In and around water.

Old August 27th, 2017, 12:17 AM   #15
Major Player

Impressive footage from an action cam, even though I can only watch it at 1080. I checked it out, but looking at the EU model it doesn't seem to have a 25/50p option. Shame.
Dave Baker is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems