Yi 4K (not 4K+) Some advice needed please. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Micro / POV Camera Systems
Covering the GoPro HERO and other small Point-Of-View video cameras.

Old September 25th, 2017, 05:34 AM   #1
Inner Circle

Yi 4K (not 4K+) Some advice needed please.

I bought the Yi 4K camera a couple of weeks ago rather than the 4K+ version as I didn't need the extras and the general technical spec was very similar with the exception of the earlier processor, GPS and higher 4K frame rate, none of which I needed. I am generally pleased with the overall performance of the camera compared with my GoPros and SJ4000s with one exception. Neither my 4K LG tv or my editing system Magix Media Edit Pro 7 will play any of the files from the camera. Magix will normally play absolutely anything and I frequently mix 4K footage from my Panny cams with HD footage. With footage from the Yi, Magix just locks up, although Windows media player will play it. The LG tv comes up with a message that says 'unplayable Format'.

Although the files show as MP4, I don't understand why they are not recognised by Magix or the LG, the 4K+ seems to use the same codecs . Has anyone else had this problem with the Yi or can suggest a solution?

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2017, 01:17 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Yi 4K (not 4K+) Some advice needed please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Gunkel View Post
I bought the Yi 4K camera a couple of weeks ago rather than the 4K+ version as I didn't need the extras and the general technical spec was very similar with the exception of the earlier processor, GPS and higher 4K frame rate, none of which I needed. I am generally pleased with the overall performance of the camera compared with my GoPros and SJ4000s with one exception. Neither my 4K LG tv or my editing system Magix Media Edit Pro 7 will play any of the files from the camera. Magix will normally play absolutely anything and I frequently mix 4K footage from my Panny cams with HD footage. With footage from the Yi, Magix just locks up, although Windows media player will play it. The LG tv comes up with a message that says 'unplayable Format'.

Although the files show as MP4, I don't understand why they are not recognised by Magix or the LG, the 4K+ seems to use the same codecs . Has anyone else had this problem with the Yi or can suggest a solution?

Roger
Yup, Magix Vegas Pro 15 cannot deal with the Yi 4K+ files. Magix Vegas Pro 14 (as well as Sony Vegas Pro 13) can.

I have communicated with Magix directly about this, including uplodaing to them an original file, and they promise a future update will fix it. You should communicate with Magix about the problem.
Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2017, 01:24 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Re: Yi 4K (not 4K+) Some advice needed please.

I will be uploading a file to Magix at some point to put a bit more pressure on them, just been too busy over the last few days. I have found that Handbrake will convert files very quickly into a recognised format, but unfortunately only up to 1080. That's ok at the moment as I am outputting to 1080, but it precludes me from editing in 4K and cropping down.

Hopefully Magix will get it sorted reasonably quickly.

Roger
Roger Gunkel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems