DJI Osmo Pocket - Page 3 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems

Micro / POV Camera Systems
Covering the GoPro HERO and other small Point-Of-View video cameras.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old March 1st, 2019, 11:24 AM   #31
Slash Rules!
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 4,787
Re: DJI Osmo Pocket

I would assume that even though its not marketed as such many people will use as production cameras for personal projects or as a broll cam for low budget stuff. Still seems like the screen would be tiny for anything beyond the most general framing, too small to notice a piece of gear or other undesireable objects/people in the shots.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2019, 12:26 PM   #32
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,065
Re: DJI Osmo Pocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bass View Post
I would assume that even though its not marketed as such many people will use as production cameras for personal projects or as a broll cam for low budget stuff. Still seems like the screen would be tiny for anything beyond the most general framing, too small to notice a piece of gear or other undesireable objects/people in the shots.
For those situations I think that the Mimo app would be the way to control as it works really well. The screen on the Pocket then goes off. Works very well with my 7" tablet.
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2019, 12:31 PM   #33
Major Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: New Haven, CT
Posts: 964
Re: DJI Osmo Pocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Evans View Post
For those situations I think that the Mimo app would be the way to control as it works really well. The screen on the Pocket then goes off. Works very well with my 7" tablet.
Sure, but again the main characteristic of good videos is camera movement, which a gimbal makes possible. That is the key advantage of the Osmo Pocket gimbal/camera combo. However, I challenge you to smoothly move with the camera while holding the camera tethered by a cable to a 7" tablet. If you do not move with the camera, there is little point to having a gimbal (it does make for steady static shots of course).
Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2019, 12:54 PM   #34
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,065
Re: DJI Osmo Pocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rosenzweig View Post
Sure, but again the main characteristic of good videos is camera movement, which a gimbal makes possible. That is the key advantage of the Osmo Pocket gimbal/camera combo. However, I challenge you to smoothly move with the camera while holding the camera tethered by a cable to a 7" tablet. If you do not move with the camera, there is little point to having a gimbal (it does make for steady static shots of course).
I was not meaning move with the camera. It was to use on a tripod/mount controlled by the tablet too which is what I was inferring as a B camera. Controlled with the WiFi module so no cable. Tracking and focus can be controlled with the tablet. An unobtrusive camera for an interview.
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2019, 06:58 AM   #35
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
Posts: 146
Re: DJI Osmo Pocket

Updated to firmware 1.04 today, so now I have the "pro" and Cine-D option. Looking forward to trying this out. The mating to a smartphone is very VERY fiddly though. I wish DJI had included a male to female USB-C cable in addition to the charging cable they did supply.

I have to wonder what those people who do not have a newer smartphone with USB-C are supposed to do.

This is also the first time I have ever used a gimbaled device of any kind, so it's quite the learning curve to sort it all out.
John Hedgecoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2019, 06:49 AM   #36
Major Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: New Haven, CT
Posts: 964
You Can Even Shoot a Pretentious Cinematic Video!



Just lacks a story line and interesting characters, but all the important stuff is there: orange and teal grading, widescreen aspect ratio (2.25:1), bombastic score.
Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Adorama
(800) 223-2500
New York, NY

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Texas Media Systems
(512) 440-1400
Austin, TX

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

VideoGuys
(800) 323-2325
Mineola, NY

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:41 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2019 The Digital Video Information Network