DJI Osmo Pocket - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems

Micro / POV Camera Systems
Covering the GoPro HERO and other small Point-Of-View video cameras.

Old January 14th, 2019, 06:01 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: DJI Osmo Pocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Plotin View Post
Mark,
Is there a way to mount the Osmo pocket to a tripod for time-lapse shooting other than a home made cobbled together solution?
I can't believe DJI didn't include a 1/4 20 thread on the base.
Thanks,
Ken
It is a nuisance. DJi sells a bracket that gives you a GoPro type mount:

https://store.dji.com/product/osmo-p...ccessory-mount

There is also a wifi module base (both can be used at the same time):

https://store.dji.com/product/osmo-p...ireless-module
Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2019, 10:38 AM   #17
Trustee

Old January 20th, 2019, 12:16 PM   #18
Trustee

Old January 31st, 2019, 04:58 PM   #19
Trustee

New Firmware Adds Cinelike Color Mode and No More Need for a Phone

Cinelike ungraded and then the same scenes graded (increased saturation and contrast, with curves).

Now all settings can be made on the camera in PRO mode.

Also, in auto WB, you get a real-time Kelvin reading so you can set a specific K (custom WB).
Old January 31st, 2019, 06:48 PM   #20
Slash Rules!

Tempted. I know this thing basically just came out but any chance there will be a sale/special deal somewhere on it?
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2019, 11:45 AM   #21
Regular Crew

I just ordered one from B&H yesterday after they were backordered for a while... looking forward to see what this little guy can do.

I have had an Osmo + for a while but always needing to use my iPhone with it was a pain.
Old February 18th, 2019, 06:21 PM   #22
Trustee

4K Night Video Shot using Cine-Like D, Graded

Old February 20th, 2019, 11:51 AM   #23
Trustee

4K Cine-Like D Graded using a LUT

LUT (free) can be downloaded from here:

LUTs para D-CINELIKE OSMO Pocket
Old February 26th, 2019, 06:50 PM   #24
Regular Crew

It appears that the pocket does NOT have a removable battery. Is that correct?

Is it possible to power the pocket from an external source, such as a USB power bank?
John Hedgecoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2019, 05:14 PM   #25
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hedgecoe View Post
It appears that the pocket does NOT have a removable battery. Is that correct?

Is it possible to power the pocket from an external source, such as a USB power bank?
No removeable battery. But for sure you can power (and charge) from an external source while shooting, such as a USB power bank via the USB-C port. I have never encountered any overheating problem.
Old February 28th, 2019, 06:32 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Great. Thank you. I have already placed my order. Looks like a very fun device.
Old March 1st, 2019, 03:37 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Received my OSMO Pocket today. Even though I have read a lot about it and seen many photos of it, I just was not prepared for how small it is. This thing is tiny.

I also ordered the control wheel, but it's backordered. What I do NOT understand is the need for "activation", and only through a mobile app to boot, and that mobile app demands your location, otherwise it will not proceed.

So first problem is that the device cannot connect to my phone properly due to the protective case I use on my phone. The connector on the USB dongle should be female to allow use of any USB-C cable, rather than being male. Now I have to go out and buy a cable with a female USB-C connector.

The pocket is surprisingly heavy, and VERY awkward to use when connected to your phone, plus the connector itself is not very stable when connected in this manner.

DJI do provide a short USB-C (Male) to USB 2 cable. So only good for charging. Another question I have is, why is the charging port not also a data port?

Anyway, tonight I will try shooting some video at a party.
Old March 1st, 2019, 08:10 AM   #28
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hedgecoe View Post

The pocket is surprisingly heavy, and VERY awkward to use when connected to your phone, plus the connector itself is not very stable when connected in this manner.
If you update the firmware, there is no need to use the phone to exploit all of the capabilities of the Osmo Pocket. Use the phone to activate (once) and update firmware and then never use the phone at all.

I strongly recommend using Cine-Like D and then grade in post. It deal with highlights much better than Standard color.
Old March 1st, 2019, 10:40 AM   #29
Slash Rules!

Isnt the screen incredibly tiny though? I would think you would want the phone as a larger monitor, although maybe you can cable a real monitor to it? One hand for monitor, one hand for Osmo. For using it for video productions, that is.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2019, 11:49 AM   #30
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Bass View Post
Isnt the screen incredibly tiny though? I would think you would want the phone as a larger monitor, although maybe you can cable a real monitor to it? One hand for monitor, one hand for Osmo. For using it for video productions, that is.
Fair question. First, the point of this camera is that it is small, truly pocketable. If you are doing a "production", get a bigger camera and gimbal with a bigger monitor.

But to answer your question directly: The small built-in screen is perfectly adequate for framing shots and assessing exposure. It is not great for assessing focus unassisted, but given the lens is very wide angle this is less of an issue. More importantly, in AFS mode, in which you put your finger on where the camera should focus, you get a green box confirming focus. And it is correct. For dynamic focusing, focus tracking also has a confirmatory box. Bigger monitors are most useful when DOF is an issue, that is not an issue here.

There is no HDMI port, but you can link a cable to a bigger tablet or phone if you insist on a "monitor."

One advantage of using the phone/tablet as monitor, however, is you can use zebras; this capability is not available on the camera screen. However, shooting in Cine-like D and using an ND for the most part means that overexposure and hot spots are minimized.

Finally, you really cannot move smoothly with the camera (walk/run) holding a phone in one hand and the camera in another. Both hands on the camera for smooth movement.
Mark Rosenzweig is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Most Recent Additions... > Micro / POV Camera Systems