DVX100 with a monopod? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Monopods (incl. FlowPod)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old July 22nd, 2003, 01:20 AM   #16
Major Player

crowd ......

I've used this in parade and crowd conditions. With the fold-up tripod legs, I've easily lifted the cam up over the crowd. The only factor is the one screw for the cam plate. I'm taking care of that this week-end. generally, at least, for the money involved it's been a cheap way to do the deed.
I don't think the name brand matters and as I recall there is a monopod that has been made with extra height in mind. You'll have to look for it in the crane sections on cam support equipment.
Good luck.
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2003, 08:47 PM   #17
Major Player

I use a bogan (3241???) that has a quick release tilt head, and most importantly, the top section of the riser has a quick release grip so you can change height instantly....

This has been in pretty heavy service for two years without any problems at all....
John Hartney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2003, 09:52 AM   #18
New Boot

I emailed the US Slik distributor regarding the S-Pole and got back a response that either it wasn't distributed in the US or was a discontinued model. This is even though the web site, in the description of the Mini-Pro, recommends this combination. After a couple more emails he confirmed that the center column of the pro-mini does remove totally none of the Slik monopods they sell will fit in the 12mm opening.

Since the main Slik web site is just basically hyperlinks to all their distributors I have not found a way to email Slik corporate and ask them their opinion.

I have not found any other nice, desktop tripods with removable center columns so unless I can find a 12mm monopod I guess I will just use a monopd by itself.

Unless, of course, anyone else has any more ideas..........?
Old July 23rd, 2003, 03:53 PM   #19
Major Player

Don't know what to say Jack.....

A lot of Japanese manufacturing companies are not very internationally web oriented. Nor are they very helpful. I'd recommend contacting Yodobashi camera in Tokyo via e-mail and ask them the price for the set-up/ combo and see if you can have them ship it to you. I don't know if anyone over there speaks English but you can give it a try.
I'd love to get my hands on a Heiwa tripod/with fluid head and can't seem to find the tripods in Tokyo. I'll have to go out to their company in Saitama (suburbs) to see their equipment. So, it's a bitch. Part of the problem is that Japanese companies use weird distribution systems in Japan that give the rights of distribution to one company and it distributes the products only through it's network. It can be hard finding equipment sometimes. For all the fine equipment made in Japan, it's often difficult to get your hands on the products. Most things are made for foreign markets and then things made for the Japanese market are not sold elsewhere. It's a crazy set-up and not very media savy or marketing savy but it's the way things are.
I'd scream at the Slik rep in the US about products. Get them to move on it or make contact for you.
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2003, 04:04 PM   #20
Major Player

just an extra note Jacki...

Slik, like a lot of Japanese companies, creates and manufactures a lot of products to go out on the market and then disappear. It's a fast turn around on the Japanese market as a lot of folks are into the latest fashions that don't always translate into good equipment.
The S-pole and Pro-mini 3 is a good combo and should be out there but given the regionalism of the mentality it's not difficult to understand the problem. They just don't know when they've got a good thing. It's people like us who are trying different combos to get the job done. They made the S-pole and Pro-mini 3 for stills cameras. They weren't even thinking about video cams. Go figure!
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Monopods (incl. FlowPod)