DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Monopods (incl. FlowPod) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/monopods-incl-flowpod/)
-   -   DVX100 with a monopod? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/monopods-incl-flowpod/10654-dvx100-monopod.html)

Ray Saavedra June 9th, 2003 12:20 PM

DVX100 with a monopod?

Does anyone use a monopod with their DVX100? If so, which one? Will be using a 503 head.

Chris Hurd June 11th, 2003 10:50 AM

Ray, it would seem to me that just about any monopod would work fine with the DVX. Bogen makes a couple models in varying degrees of sturdiness, length, features, price etc.

Ray Saavedra June 11th, 2003 10:55 AM

Chris,

Thanks, I kind of figured that it would work with any monopod? Just wanted to hear it from someone.

Anyway, I'm thinking of getting the one's with the retractable legs like the 682b. Would you still be able to pan with the legs extended?

Ray

Dean Harrington July 1st, 2003 02:28 AM

I've been using....

a slik monopod with a short tripod legs attachment (it's a two part set up for table top shooting with swivel and lock head and short legs) also by slik. I'm making a steadipod balance cross-bar so that it can be used as a steaditracker. I'm not banking on great action but I'll see. So far, the slik has been good in a crowd. The short tripod legs help keep it steady.

Jacki Skelton July 11th, 2003 05:33 PM

Dean,

Can you be more specific as to which slik monopod and short tripod legs attachment you are talking about. The slik web sites, both corporate and US distributor, are not the most user friendly I have ever used. I believe you may be talking about the slik minipod or compact-xl along with the monopod but wanted to verify.

Do you just remove the center column on the tripod legs and then insert the monopod or what? Details, por favor.

Thanks

Jacki

Dean Harrington July 11th, 2003 07:44 PM

Slik....

S-Pole 2 Slik monopod and the slik pro-mini 3 tripod legs and rotating ball joint (mainly used for stills cams). The ball joint is useless but I'm having a brass section inserted to stop the ball from rotating up and down. It will just rotate horizontally. The one weakness of this is the head connection. It's a single screw. I'll deal with this issue at some point but it's a weakness anyway.
A weighted solid aluminum bar and floating handle are being made by a machinist friend; these will allow the monopod to be used as a steaditracker - I hope.
should have the bar and handle sometime this month.

Dean Harrington July 11th, 2003 07:57 PM

just thought I'd add....

Manfrotto makes a nice and solid monopod with a three legged stand attachment. Much better than the slik. about $100 here in Japan.

Don Bloom July 11th, 2003 08:32 PM

I have the 628B monopod with the feet the only problem is when you pick it up to move watch where the feet are. I am always walking into them but otherwise I do like the piece. It comes in quite handy.

Ken Tanaka July 11th, 2003 09:04 PM

Don,
Don't you mean the Bogen/Manfrotto 682B?

Jacki Skelton July 11th, 2003 09:25 PM

The Manfrotto looks interesting, B&H has it for $79. About how far do the legs on the Manfrotto 682B stick out when they are extended? Looks like they are fairly long but that could just be the photo.

Dean Harrington July 12th, 2003 02:28 AM

manfrotto...

The main thing is stability and mobility. The slik is stable enough and the feet are less extended but you've got to keep your hands on the cam. I can see where the manfrotto could get in the way.

Don Bloom July 12th, 2003 06:24 AM

Ken,
Thanks, yes I do. I have backwards fingers ;)
(now u see why I let my wife handle the checkbook)

Jacki,
The legs are a good 12" in length-it can be a little awkward.

Jacki Skelton July 12th, 2003 03:24 PM

Don, thanks, even though the legs actually look longer than that in the photos, 12" is still longer that I expected. I have an email in to Manfrotto, I have looked everywhere and cannot seem to find any reference to the S Pole II. Hopefully it is just an older model monopod and the newer ones will work OK.

Thanks for everyones help.

Dean Harrington July 13th, 2003 06:25 PM

Slik....

I've found that different numbers are often attached to the same product sold in a country other than Japan. The main thing is to get a monopod with a decent grip and quick release legs. Whether you use a slik or manfrotto may make little difference. You've got to figure that it's the solidness of the piece that counts.
I was looking at the manfrotto again yesterday in Tokyo. I did pick it up and play with it. The legs are long, do not fold up or telescope and do get in the way if you are moving around with it. It's rock solid on the ground however.
It would be a good idea for manfrotto to adjust this situation. I can telescope and/or fold the legs on the slik. Makes it handy in a crowd.

Annie Cheatham July 22nd, 2003 12:59 AM

so which would you choose

do you like the slik or the bogen, money not being a factor? i'm doing mostly receptions and events where i need to move around quickly. i also want to be able to hoist the camera over the crowd. will both be safe for this action (camera not falling off and hitting someone on the head). i've got an xl1s

thanks
annie