Home-made Monopod stand - any ideas? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Monopods (incl. FlowPod)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old August 5th, 2003, 11:21 AM   #1
Space Hipster

Home-made Monopod stand - any ideas?

I just got a Varizoom Flowpod (www.varizoom.com) and would like to use it as a basic tripod as well.

I'm thinking of coming up with a some kind of christmas tree stand like device that could take it.

Just stable enough to leave it sitting for simple still shots. Any ideas?
Old August 5th, 2003, 12:35 PM   #2
Major Player

Hows the flowpod?? I'm curious since the bottom doesn't seem to have any weights attached to it.
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2003, 12:37 PM   #3
Space Hipster

Just unpacked it and have to leave, so no idea, but the construction quality is excellent, much better than the Steaditracker Extreme I had before. There are adjustable weights on the shaft though.
Old August 5th, 2003, 05:31 PM   #4
Major Player

OH, so the shaft is weighted-down at the bottom?? From the picture it doesn't look it at all. Please give us a quick review whenever you can, because I think you might be the first ones getting this item.
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2003, 03:13 AM   #5
Major Player

good possibility....

to create what you want if you can get something like the Slik Pro mini 3 breakdown swivel head table set-up. I'm using that on my monopod and it works well.
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2003, 09:18 PM   #6
Space Hipster

Dean:

Tell me exactly how this works. I looked it up here [url]http://www.thkphoto.com/products/slik/slik-cts-03.html[\url] but I don't see how to attach this to a monopod...
Old August 8th, 2003, 10:44 PM   #7
Major Player

Mini pro 3

The top unscrews at the center screw joint to reveal a male screw on the tripod section. This screw replaces the top end of the mono-pod by unscrewing the top screw. The mono-pod becomes reversed with the cam element (what ever you attach to hold the cam - I'm using a brass fitted swivel with hortizonal motion only so I can pan while it's in stationary mode) sitting on the bottom part of the mono-pod.
I have, also, fitted a brass weight with press drilled female screw holes to the bottom of the monopod so that the tripod legs can be attached to the bottom with the cam on top. I like this set-up best because the brass weight adds some balancing element to the legs. If you need a pic - I'll be happy to shot the set-up for you if you've got some where to post. good luck
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2003, 04:10 PM   #8
Major Player

Stephen.....

How's the mono-pod legs attachment coming along?
Dean Harrington is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Monopods (incl. FlowPod)