DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Monopods (incl. FlowPod) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/monopods-incl-flowpod/)
-   -   Which monopod accepts Miller DS-10 mounting plate (#490)? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/monopods-incl-flowpod/19244-monopod-accepts-miller-ds-10-mounting-plate-490-a.html)

Anthony Colombo January 4th, 2004 01:00 PM

Which monopod accepts Miller DS-10 mounting plate (#490)?

I'm planning to purchase a Miller SOLO DV tripod with DS-10 fluid head and would like to be able to quick release the camera to and from the tripod to a monopod.

Any ideas on the best way to handle this?

Mike Rehmus January 5th, 2004 09:36 PM

Have you discussed this with Miller? They may have a solution.

Otherwise it is a trip to the machine shop or you will have to mount a Bogen quick-release mount on both the Miller and your Monopod. Cost you about $100 to set it up.

B&H sells the Bogen (or Manfrotto) sets.

Anthony Colombo January 7th, 2004 02:33 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Mike Rehmus : Have you discussed this with Miller? They may have a solution.

Otherwise it is a trip to the machine shop or you will have to mount a Bogen quick-release mount on both the Miller and your Monopod. Cost you about $100 to set it up.

B&H sells the Bogen (or Manfrotto) sets. -->>>

Great advice ... I'll ask Miller and post what i learn.

When you mentioned "Otherwise it is a trip to the machine shop"
What exactly do you see them machining if i may ask?

"... or you will have to mount a Bogen quick-release mount on both the Miller and your Monopod. Cost you about $100 to set it up."
I couldn't find that Bogen product at B&H could you be more specific?

Many thanks

Mike Rehmus January 7th, 2004 10:49 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Anthony Colombo : <<<-- Originally posted by Mike Rehmus : Have you discussed this with Miller? They may have a solution.

B&H sells the Bogen (or Manfrotto) sets. -->>>

Great advice ... I'll ask Miller and post what i learn.

When you mentioned "Otherwise it is a trip to the machine shop"
What exactly do you see them machining if i may ask?

To build a recepticle on the monopod for the Miller QR plate if it has one.

"... or you will have to mount a Bogen quick-release mount on both the Miller and your Monopod. Cost you about $100 to set it up."

I couldn't find that Bogen product at B&H could you be more specific?

No since I sold mine to a fellow for whom I had adapted his big-camera Steadycam to hold a DVX100 using that QR. He wanted it and I no longer needed it. Just call B&H's 800 number and they will be able to tell you all about it. It could now be a Manfrotto product.

Anthony Colombo January 14th, 2004 12:12 PM

OK here is what if found,

According to Bogen their best solution is to use the "Bogen / Manfrotto 3273 Quick Release Adapter with 3272 Plate" - which i assume is the one Mike was referring to. (Available at B&H for $36.95) I would get two of these Bogen QR sets and mount the 3273 QR Adapter from one of the sets to the Miller QR plate and mount the QR adapter from the other set to a monopod. This would leave one extra 3272 plate, since only one needs to be mounted to the camera, leaving a spare 3272 plate as a back up or for use on a second camera.

The Bogen rep suggested that i test their QR on the miller head since there may be an incompatibility - like the QR lever or something getting in the way. I wonder if anyone has experience with this?

I also found another QR system, the "Rover-Snap Quick-Release" from videosmith.com, the makers of the mini-rover, etc. Their QR has a button that you push inward instead of up and down so it is less likely to have an incompatibility. However their product does not look as solid as the Bogen.

Solidness is an issue since vibration or play could be picked with the addition of another QR (Bogen or Videosmith). Miller suggested that if i want a truly rock solid set up that i could buy their "p2011" replacement part - which is actually the QR mounting top of the DS-10 fluid head for 300 or so dollars. I would need to machine it so that it could be screwed into the monopod (i.e. drill hole and have it tapped out to fit monopod)

So there you have it - I look forward to anybody's input here...

Anthony Colombo January 14th, 2004 12:17 PM

One other point of interest the Miller rep said is that some of their clients with DS carbon fiber tripod systems use them like monopods by collapsing the legs. He said this possible since the legs collapse down to a pretty narrow profile and since they are lightweight. - FYI

Mike Rehmus January 14th, 2004 06:00 PM

Get the Bogen bits. They are rock-solid. B&H will take them back if they don't fit. You should be able to mount the mount at the rear of the miller plate I'd think. It just fastens down with a tripod screw.

B&H may be willing to experiment to see if the QR will indeed fit on the miller.