Monopod vs Tripod- Shooting Techniques at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Monopods (incl. FlowPod)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old March 4th, 2004, 12:25 PM   #1
Wrangler

Monopod vs Tripod- Shooting Techniques

I was thinking about switching to a monopod for my wedding videography due to it's versatility and smaller profile. I feel I can get shots just as steady with a simple monopod but am a bit concerned if I have to do a tilt. I see some monopods have heads that tilt but how do you tilt them without a pan handle?
Lastly the monopod I was looking into has a grip release at the top for convenience and quick setup- it doesn't however have a head that tilts- if I *were* to go with this monopod would a tilt be possible? Any input as to the best techniques shooting with a monopod, as I've never shot with one.
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2004, 12:49 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Let me state that I've used monopods,tripods and shoulder braces with a fairly loaded up PD150 for my primary camera at weddings. I use what is needed for the particular venue, depending on what I might be allowed to do.
Having said that, when I use a monpod I use a Bogen 682B that has a bottom that can be turned into feet for stability. I also have a Bogen 501 head mounted on it to match the head on my tripods and the QR plate and base on my shoulder brace (Bogen 577base and plate). The main challenge to monopods,in my opinion is ANY thing you do, any movement at all can be transmitted to the monopod and then the camera, even the one with the feet. I use it more at receptions than at ceremonies but thats another thread for a different time. To get a tilting head either use a regular tripod head OR the Bogen 3232 which is a tilt mechanisim and just keep it somewhat tight and your hand on the camera so you can do slow tilts.
I believe that 3232 is the number,if not BH Photo wil have it listed somewhere in their Support section. I've used that also but prefer the 501 head on the monopod.
Hope all that helps,
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2004, 01:29 PM   #3
Wrangler

Don- the 501 is the head I'm currently using for my tripod. So what you did is purchase a second 501 head to have the camera able to switch between tripod and monopod?

Also when you have the 501 head on the monopod- does that connect w/o the pan handle? It may sound like a cheesy question beings I've never seen a pan handle on a monopod. I figured I'd ask beings the 501 is a fluid head and if it can't be turned (panned) it's made useless I suppose.

Lastly- using the 501 head which quick release should I buy to connect to my glidecam 4000? Keeping in mind I need clearance for the locking clip to turn.

Thanks!
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2004, 01:43 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Glen,
Actually the 501 is not a true fluid head but hey, who cares, it works for me. I actually use 501's on 2 of my tripods and a 3063 head on my 3rd tripod. I got another 501 head for my monopod (I was going to use it on the 3rd tripod but decided to use it on the monopod instead) and yes it fits handle and all. It screws right on the mounting screw on the Bogen monopod and the setup works rather well with the monopod I use. Remeber though, I'm using a monopod thatcan be set up and left standing much like a tripod, just not as steady. Using the head on a monopod might be a problem as you are acting as the other 2 feet and when you move the handle to tilt the head the monopod could move but some practice and you should be fine, as for the glidecam, I use the Bogen #577 which is the locking mechanisim and plate on my should brace and the locking cam is a tight fit but it does work.
If you look at BH photo and search for the Bogen 577 you'll see what I mean.
Hope I've answered your questions, if you have more feel free to ask!
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2004, 01:48 PM   #5
Skyonic New York

here is a great setup...

look into a slik carbon fiber pod 381cf = $90
and get a manfrotto 3229 tilting head = $24
and get a new ring seal for the head, the current one is too soft...i got a brass one..

i use this with my dvx all the time, it;s super light wieght yet very strong, at first i had reservations about getting such a small head, it had proven it's self over time
Robert Mann Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2004, 09:58 PM   #6
Major Player

Effective and Inexpensive.

Take a look at the SkyPod from Studio 1. It does have a tilting head, although it takes a little getting use to one leg instead of three!

http://www.studio1productions.com/skypod.htm

I bought three of them and I was in in a great, big, hurry, their customer service was incredible. I received all three and the Lanc extensions in under 18 hours!

We had excellent results with these units out in the street. With the addition of remote camera/zoom controllers, we were able to get some great elevated shots by flipping out the monitors on the TRV-950s we were using.

RB
Old March 5th, 2004, 06:19 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
which quick release should I buy to connect to my glidecam 4000?
Glen,
I put the Bogen 394 which uses the 3271 base plate on my GC4000. It is nice and flat on the sled. Ahhhh! I see it is out of B&H stock.
Guy Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2004, 01:33 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I'm still having trouble properly balancing my GC2000 with my VX2000. I have 3 weight rings on the front and the back at the bottom...is that too much? I have them slightly to the right side to compensate for my side viewing LCD screen to be open. When I pick it up, it lifts straight up and does okay for the most part. I just feel like it is still floating around a bit. I have my left forefinger and thumb ready near the top of the tube to stabilize it if it roams away, but I'm not sure if this is typical or not. I tried the 2-3 second drop idea but I'm not sure I understand that concept fully. Lifting the handlie and the camera straight up, I rotate the base away from me so that the camera is at my chest. Then I let the bottom drop down and the camera swing up. It takes about 1-1.5 seconds...it seems too fast but maybe it's okay. I have tried using only 2 base weight plates and that doesn't seem to work...the GC is all over the place. My last resort is to lengthen the rod a little. I currently have it 1 inch from the base of the GC (like suggested in the manual).

I realize it takes practice, but I'm wondering if I'm on the right track here. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Brian Patterson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Monopods (incl. FlowPod)