Question about monopods at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Monopods (incl. FlowPod)

Old May 6th, 2009, 03:07 PM   #1
Major Player

Question about monopods

When exactly does a monopod come into play. I have never used one and I'm trying to understand the benefits over a tripod.
Kevin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 03:19 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Moved from Open DV to Monopods.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 06:05 PM   #3
Inner Circle

lots of times to use one. It's flexible meaning easily movable, you can get high shots, dutch angle shots, able to hold a longer shot with pretty good stability, not as good as a tripod but it is certainly better than going strictly handheld.
Now having said all of that, I can only repeat what I always tell people. Tripods, monopods, shoulder brackets, steadicams...anything of that sort are tools of the trade and while a monopod can replace a tripod in certain situations it is best to use the right tool or the job. I've had jobs over the years that have required the use of a tripod and a monopod and a shoulder bracket (I use the DVMultirig after trying many others) and while I COULD have done the job with just a tripod the monopod and DVMultirig made the job more comfortable and allowed me to aquire better footage.
Different tools for the job. A mechanic has more than 1 wrench :-)
Of course a lot depends on the type of work you might be doing as well.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Monopods (incl. FlowPod)