DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Monopods (incl. FlowPod) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/monopods-incl-flowpod/)
-   -   Best Monopod for Wedding Videography (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/monopods-incl-flowpod/238824-best-monopod-wedding-videography.html)

Anthony Cipriano July 10th, 2009 04:29 PM

Best Monopod for Wedding Videography

Hi All. I've been using my FX-1 for weddings and am still looking for a good lightweight monopod for work the altar. I have tried the Bogen 561B unit and found it lacking in steadiness at the base due to the floating ball. Other than that, a nice unit. This would be used during the cermony if I can't get a tripod positioned. Also, any suggestions on a good
fish-eye lens that won't "break the bank?' I'm considering the Optima .4 fish-eye that sells for around $200.00. I've considered a Matrox and Century but the former is heavy and the latter is pricey but probably well worth the cost!

Cheers!

Tony Cipriano

Vito DeFilippo July 10th, 2009 05:32 PM

Hands down the manfrotto 685b:

Manfrotto by Bogen Imaging | 685B NeoTec Monopod Deluxe | 685B

It's awesome...

Anthony Cipriano July 11th, 2009 06:52 PM

Best Monopod for Wedding Videography

Thanks. I'll take a look at that on B&H's site.

Tony

Jack Kelly July 14th, 2009 06:16 AM

I've heard good things about that Monfroto monopod too. I'm planning to buy one with the Manfrotto MN-484RC2 head unless anyone has any reasons why that would be a bad choice? I'm planning to use it with my DVX100a or GH1.

Here's a good video about the 685b:

YouTube - Yuri's Favorite Photography Gadget: The Manfrotto Monopod

Kevin Duffey July 14th, 2009 09:36 AM

interesting review... he says the monopod sucks. lol.. but it's the only one that does the up/down movement. Sad that a piece of gear that expensive is so poor.

Curious how many videographers with the pro cameras use something like this? I am guessing there isn't much use for a monopod for video cameras? Maybe smaller ones, like home ones, but you still have to balance it to keep it steady... so it seems to me a monopod would mostly be useful for still photography.

Vito DeFilippo July 14th, 2009 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Duffey (Post 1171622)
interesting review... he says the monopod sucks. lol..

I haven't had the issues he talks about, but the ability to quickly and easily raise or lower the camera with no unlocking and locking of clips, etc, wins over any build issues for me.

And to me, the monopod feels very solid and well built.

Adam Haro July 14th, 2009 11:17 AM

I've been using an inexpensive monopod for my GL2 and it works fine. I was thinking of upgrading to one like this Manfrotto by Bogen Imaging | 3231 Professional Monopod (Black) with the little legs on the bottom for added stability. Has anyone used this style?

Dave Blackhurst July 15th, 2009 01:02 AM

I"m guessing he doesn't get an endorsement deal... There is an older version of the Bogen "automatic", I've got a couple of them, they seem to have aged well, although one doesn't slide well anymore...

For me a monopod is just too prone to wobble, but it might be just me! But the Bogen automatic monopod is one of the better devices of the breed for the squeeze trigger height adjust.

Jack Kelly July 16th, 2009 03:29 AM

Hi there,

So, I'm considering going for the 685b monopod (the one with the automatic up/down action) along with the 701HDV head. Has anyone used this combo?

I plan to use this rig as a complement to my Manfrotto 501 tripod. i.e. I'll use the tripod when I can but if I have to move very fast then I'll quickly swap over to the 685b + 701HDV head. For example, I've got some jobs coming up which would require me to hand-hold a DVX100a for 4 hours straight which would kill my back, hence I'm thinking of the monopod option.

Either that or a shoulder-mount rig with counter balances.

EDIT:

Actually, I think I wont get the 701HDV head. Instead I'm going to get the 685b monopod + the 484RC2 ball-and-socket joint + a 577 Quick Release Adapter. I don't plan to use my monopod to get clean pans, instead I want to try to use it in a kind of "power-assisted" hand-held rig where I'll use the monopod to take the weight but I'll probably leave the ball-and-socket joint quite loose and operate the camera almost as if it were handheld. I've no idea if this will work! But it'll be an interesting experiment!

Dave Blackhurst July 18th, 2009 12:47 PM

You might consider a short monopod with a belt hook or extra belt if needed. Better mobility and can be a bit more stable than a longer monopod - you'll find you want to lock off the ball head though, and release when needed, otherwise the camera will tend to get a tad floppy on you...

I use a combo with a shoulder rig and the monopod/belt - pretty much a DIY DVMultirig Pro (which is a justifiable expense you might want to consider IMO, if you want the best rig for mobility and back saving).

Jack Kelly July 24th, 2009 06:29 AM

Just a quick update. I've had a chance to use my monopod with ball&socket joint several times now. I'm very happy with the monopod but I definitely do need a proper video head. The ball&socket joint is great for locked-off shots but not great for any shots which require some movement.