Monopods with feet at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Monopods (incl. FlowPod)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old September 6th, 2009, 01:14 PM   #1
Trustee

Monopods with feet

I bought a Bogen monopod with the feet that screw on from the bottom. I use it on weddings but when I let it go it slowly rocks back and fourth. I like the portability I have a small bogen head on it now. I am expecting too much from a monopod or is there one that doesnt rock? I dont mind spending more for it.
Randy Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2009, 09:02 AM   #2
Trustee

Do u have the Manfrotto HDV561?
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2009, 12:03 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I've been using a 682B for a good number of years and yes it will sway slowly if youtouch it at all. No there is no way for a monopod to stand with out some sway. It's the nature of the design. One leg won't hold like 3. Too much weight on top. (at least I haven't seen or used one)

I do use it for 2nd camera placement sometimes when I need to "hide" it and sometimes at a reception when I feel too tired to use my DV Multirig or when I want to get an overhead boom type shot.
Old November 17th, 2009, 04:05 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I picked up a 562B - one of the ones with the Fluid cartridge in the base, and three small feet... surprisingly stable and not too much sway becuse the feet are short and sturdy.

Not something I'd walk away from with a camera on it, but far more effective than I expected, and better than a monpod (different brand) that had the screw in spindly legs - wobbles galore with that one...

The 562 with the fluid cartridge (and I presume the other similar Manfrotto offerings) is surprisingly effective and stable, as are the stubby legs. Way overkill for my needs, but effective enough I decided to keep it around once I tried it!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2009, 02:08 PM   #5
Major Player

I wrestled with the same problem... did not like the "sway". My solution was to take my Gitzo CF tripod and not spread the legs completely. I wanted an 18" footprint but one leg or the other was always being knocked out of position. A wooden board was cut into a circle and is placed among the legs just above the first (highest) leg joint. A notch is cut into the wood for each leg. A length of velcro is wrapped around the circumference to hold each leg in it's place. Very quick to set up, very stable and cheap.
Dan Gunn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Monopods (incl. FlowPod)