Flowpod or Glidecam 4000 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Monopods (incl. FlowPod)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old June 27th, 2005, 07:42 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Flowpod or Glidecam 4000

If you guys need a stabilizer now which one of the 2 mentioned above would you choose..I need to have nice smooth shots without breaking my arm.
Thanks
Gabor
Gabor Lacza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2005, 08:45 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Anybody can give some idea pls....
Old July 3rd, 2005, 09:32 AM   #3

I've never worked with the Flowpod, but have worked with the Glidecam. It worked well, although my wrist did get tired after a bit. You didn't specify which model you were looking at.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2005, 09:34 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Moved here from Sony Z1 / FX1 forum.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2005, 12:00 PM   #5
Major Player

Hi Gabor,

I own a Glidecam 2000 and use it with our PD-150/170. It does take some time to learn to use it and it takes even more practice time to be able to shoot for more than 15 seconds at a time, but if you are willing to invest the time, the payoff is huge. Incredible looking footage. You will want to get a quick release mechanism that matches your tripods quick release plate. That way you can go from your tripod to monopod to Glidecam very quickly.

I have not used a Flowpod, but from what I have seen, it seems like a decent multi-purpose device that is helpful with a number of different things, but may not be the best for stedicam type of shooting.
Old July 4th, 2005, 06:08 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabor Lacza
If you guys need a stabilizer now which one of the 2 mentioned above would you choose..I need to have nice smooth shots without breaking my arm.
Thanks
Gabor
Depends on which camera you're using it with.

Like Douglas said, it can be a real wrist killer. I tried using the Glidecam 4000 with an XL1s--bad idea! Messed up both my wrist and elbow for weeks.

Jay
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2005, 07:05 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks guys for the replies.....
Douglas,
I was looking at the Glidecam 4000..I guess it is better for the Z1.I would like the Smooth Shooter but in museums and many places I cannot really go in with a Smooth shooter similar device...That is why I am looking at the Glidecam4000 or the Flowpod...
My fear is what you guys say that it is too heavy to hold it long period of times...I am not planning to use it for long takes but still...
How about the brace arm ...does that help ???
Gabor
Old August 31st, 2007, 07:37 AM   #8
Regular Crew

if you are planing to make any shots without a bodysuit to support the weight, you gotta grab the Flowpod, so that you can place it on the floor when not moving....

Any camera above 5 Lbs would be pretty much impossible to shoot with a glidecam if only handheld... Ad the weight of the glidecam and you are looking at 9-10 lbs atleast. Now tell me if you can hold that kind of weight in your hand more than 30 seconds steady. That would be your answer.. I have a XL2 and a glidecam with the full smoothshooter rig. I cant even lift the damn thing with one arm when not using the smoothshooter rig.
Nik Skjoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2007, 11:09 AM   #9
Trustee

I have a flowpod and for your museums I think it would be bet. As said above, you can only hole the camera for a short time, and it must be set down. With the flowpod you've got that covered, plus an excellent monopd support. It's a simple matter to then make your steady shots, and not attract any attentin.

Withe the Glidecame, first you got something a bit odd looking, and second, where are you going to set it when you have to put it down in the museum. And what are you going to use (and how will you get the camera on it) when you want tripod/monopod shots?

The flowpod low attachment also works great. You can go just above the flour for those snake pov shots. It also works great hanging out the window or off the side of a car and getting low shots.

I recently bought the Merlin, because I believe it is superior (and lighter) than any of the competing products. (I will probably also get the arm and vest... which will also work with the as yet unreleased pilot sled... It is unbeatable in comfort, weight, ability to pack in a suitcase for travel, and control, etc.)

However, in your museum situations, where you don't want to attract attention, need a general camera support and want to unobtrusively steal some steady shots, I don't think the flowpod can be beat (not to mention the low level escape shot you can get when you are speeding away after having accidentally knocked over a Ming vase).

(The flowpod isn't exactly lightweight, like something like the Merlin. I don't know about the Glidecam products, but when I have seen them at shows they have seemed a little more clunky in appearance than the flowpod or Merlin.)
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2007, 09:53 AM   #10
Trustee

I have both. I should say they serve different purposes. The flowpod is good when u require occasional gliding shots.. u will be on Monopod function most of the time. As for the glidecam, it is used for more fluid shots but that is better off with a vest n arm unless u r not shooting for long. You cant hold it that long without messing yr wrist.

A piece of warning would be the flowpod needs a lot more weight for calibration. I could only add a rode mic onto my FX1.. I tried to add a wide len but I couldnt balance it without adding a ton to it!
Sean Seah is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Monopods (incl. FlowPod)