Monopod advice at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Monopods (incl. FlowPod)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old November 12th, 2002, 07:38 PM   #1
Major Player

Monopod advice

I am looking at the the Bogen 679 with a Bogen 3229 tilt/swivel head with quick release. Anyone have expierience with these? Are they good for my GL2? Also I will get some sort of pouch to use for some hip support as well as another alternative. I am also looking at the removable legs they have as well. I am looking for something that I can use for semi-mobile shoots like at kids soccer, cheerleading and stiff as well as out doors when I want some steady shots, but no time or space for dealing with tripod. Also it seems odd that the 678 legs for the 679 monopod are twice as expensive as the monopod?

Anybody care to comment?

Thanks!
Keith Luken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2002, 09:30 PM   #2
Warden

It all looks like it will work for your intended purpose. Bogen makes great stuff. I've used their tripods for over 20 years and I've never been disappointed with their products. On a personal level I've never liked using monopods with video. I've just never been able to adapt it to my style of shooting. I'm not saying monopods aren't used successfully in video, just they don't work for me.

The legs are so expensive because Bogen can price them that high. It's like razors and razor blades. Give the razors away and charge a fortune for the razor blades. Competition forces them to price their monopods to be priced by what the market will bare. But once you own their monopod where will you buy the accessories? You have to buy them from Bogen of course. Sears doesn't sell them. So, once they've got you hooked they make the real profit on the exclusive accessories.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2002, 10:07 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks! I have never used a monopod and will need to get used to the balancing act, but it has to be better than the motion sickness producing motion of trying to hold the GL-2 steady for longer thana few minutes, especially on long zooms where minor motion shows up huge. So I figured monopod will be nice cross between some stability without the buld or space of tripod that ties you down in some situations.
Old November 13th, 2002, 06:36 AM   #4
Woodyfang

i bought a monopod for my XM-2 and use it all the time

I also bought a 25 lb dumbell kit, and by popping the smallest dumbell onto the end of the monopod, I can make a nice little stabiliser.

However it is tiring!

the mnonpod is a nice little self defence item as well... makes me less nerbous when skating home from late night club shoots

Lighting Cameraman / Director / Producer / Music Producer / DJ / Web Designer / Visualist / Media Student / IT Tutor / Digital Artist

W00dy See, W00dy d00...
Hagop Matossian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2002, 12:24 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks all, I ordered the Bogen qwith the 3229 head and legs, and am expecting it Monday! Some how I think I will be using it more than my tripod!
Old November 17th, 2002, 09:26 AM   #6
Woodyfang

forgot to mention that my monopod (crappy as it is) was the only one i could find in my town that had a removable baseplate. This is essential with a small cam,like an xm-2, as u will probably be detaching it from the pod for handheld shots etc.

Lighting Cameraman / Director / Producer / Music Producer / DJ / Web Designer / Visualist / Media Student / IT Tutor / Digital Artist

W00dy See, W00dy d00...
Old November 17th, 2002, 10:32 AM   #7
Major Player

The haed I orderde for mine, Bogen 3229 is a tile/swivel head with quick relase base plate. By the time I order tripod, legs, haed and a carrying bag it cost almost as much as my Libec M20. But I suspect I will be using it more frequently so well worth it. It is due Monday!
Old November 17th, 2002, 11:20 AM   #8
Woodyfang

looks cool. The only thing you might need is pan/tilt handle - it seems strange that a head for a monopod might be missing such a feature

W00dy See, W00dy d00...
Old November 23rd, 2002, 07:45 PM   #9
Andy Wason

I often use a monopod when shooting weddings. They're a compromise between getting a good stable tripod shot and the mobility you need when you suspect that your tripod position will be crap. However...
I find an hour or so with a monopod to be extremely tiring. You can never relax.
Also if you have to shoot from a ramp (like some church aisles) I find it hard to keep stable. Also I find I have to set it low so that when I'm doing 'hand held' with it , I don't keep bumping it off the floor etc. This makes for back aches etc. Also, it'll never beat a tripod for stability. You can always see the movement (just look at the edges of your scene)
Andy
Imagine newmedia
Old December 20th, 2002, 07:22 PM   #10
Quantum Productions

<<<-- Originally posted by Andy Wason : I often use a monopod ......Also, it'll never beat a tripod for stability. You can always see the movement (just look at the edges of your scene)
Andy
Imagine newmedia -->>>

I totally agree! I ended up cutting mine up and made a short hand held piece for walking through shots!

I use a tripod at a wedding is great because you can lock off and put your arms down for a rest (especially during those long winded speeches!) A mono pod's footage tends to sway back and forth [like your drunk...which I probably am! :) ]

I think a good tripod (with a fast release) and a Vari-zoom (which I still haven't bought yet) would be best! Oh ya, a LCD monitor too!
Old January 16th, 2003, 10:34 PM   #11
New Boot

I use a $40 monopod with a 1 lb. gym weight at the bottom to balance my GL-2. I find it works great and the effectiveness of the shots are dependent on my ability to start, maintain and end with interesting compostion. But after a few of hours my back does tend to get soar. My balance weight is attached in a way that doesn't impede the telscoping ability of the leg. I have on occasion floated a handheld shot to a shot that rests on the support leg (and not gotten a bump!) but it took a lot of blocking to get it down. For mobility and versitility I highly recomend it and for the price you can't beat it!
Ed Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21st, 2003, 08:12 PM   #12
Trustee

I am also a professional still photographer that has covered countless sporting events. I learned to use monopods supporting a 600mm f4 lens. Look at the press section of any sporting event and all you will see is monopods. That is not just because they work, at most of those events tripods are not allowed, even for credentialed pros. I use my bogen monopod on my XL1 all of the time. It is a huge improvement over shoulder stabilization. Each tool has its place and effect. I am amazed they are not used for video more often. For me, I don't even use a head, and a pan handle is not necessary. Their value lies in the ability to improve your situation when you need to move fast and a tripod is not prudent. Screw on a stick and have fun - it works.
Old February 21st, 2003, 09:51 PM   #13
Inner Circle

I somethimes use a Bogen 682B with the legs and found out 2 things; 1) the legs can get in the way if you move. As I walk I hit them cause I'm looking thru the LCD (pd150) and not at the legs of the monopod. 2) It's great for the high shot. It's almost like a jib arm. Notice I said almost.
I do bring it with to every wedding I do but limit it's use to receptions as generally at the ceremony I'm on a tripod.
All of my stabilizing devices, tripods, shoulder brace and monpod have the Bogen hex QR plate that works with the 3063 head.
Oh yeah, sometimes I use it as a light stand or a mic stand or boom, depends on what I need at that moment.
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2003, 12:14 AM   #14
Trustee

Don,
You obviously have it figured out. A monopod with legs is no longer a mono pod. The legs are for making it a light stand!

Steve
Old February 22nd, 2003, 10:55 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Naw, if I had it figured out I'd be rich!
Don Bloom is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Monopods (incl. FlowPod)