Where Can I find a Monopod foot rest/pedal? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Monopods (incl. FlowPod)

Old September 27th, 2005, 02:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Where Can I find a Monopod foot rest/pedal?

Can anyone help me find a foot rest for my Bogen Monopod?

I have started using my Monopod with my XL-1s and have been experiencing some challenges with keeping the shot from going Left to Right. Has anyone seen a foot pedal kit or something similar that I can attach to the bottom section of my monopod (and keep my foot on it) to keep it from going side to side?

I was thinking of making something myself since I did not find anything on Bogen's web site to solve this problem.

Look forward to your creative comments!!

Regards,
Frank
Old September 27th, 2005, 05:34 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I find that weightlifting helps ...

I'm looking into some monopod supports, although I need something that rotates on a wrestling mat without transmitting the vibrations to the camera.
The multi-function shoes seem to add some stability without adding much weight or inhibiting swivel. Though, I've yet to use them.

Gitzo G-1410.130 All Terrain Shoe - for Series 4 & 5 Monopods
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

Giottos Multifunction Shoe - for Universal Series Tripods
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=318626&is=REG

I ordered the Giotto yesterday, but I don't know how these shoes will fit on either of
my Bogen Manfrotto tripods as they don't have a clean method for attachment. Perhaps this will help :

Bogen / Manfrotto 676SP2 Stainless Steel Retractable Spiked Foot Adapter - for 679 and 680 Monopods
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2005, 09:14 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Gints.
I looked at the two items you found at B & H. They may work but need extra modification to connect it to the monopod. I was hoping to find a foot stand that can fold in parallel with the monopod leg for storage, and fold open parallel to the ground so I can put my foot on it and keep the mono pod from moving side to side.

I am thinking of visiting a bicycle store to see if they have a kick stand (Jack)that I can use to do the job.

I hope someone out there may have seen an add-on device like this. I am also planning on searching other Tripod makers to see if they have a foot stand.

Regards,
Frank
Old September 28th, 2005, 02:26 PM   #4
Inner Circle

For the "flat foot" solution, check out the July 2005 issue of Shutterbug,
which, conveniently, is no longer on the magazine racks ! But here's the
link on www.shutterbug.com :

http://www.shutterbug.net/features/0705eight/index.html

Check out page 2 for the section on customizing your monopod. I think you're looking for the DuoPod foot brace.

Though, for shorter periods of time, I find that standing with a nearly triangular, toes out posture helps with body stability. (This I learned from
martial arts training. It's an efficient tripod stance that helped me get through many standing events.) I like to stick the monopod base on
the inside of my foot. Bring your elbows into your body for yet another triangular structure. I'm bringing in postures from martial arts as I don't know what pros do.
Old September 29th, 2005, 06:54 AM   #5
Regular Crew

This is exactly what I was looking for. Many thanks. You have been extremely helpfull. Now the fun begins...

I am still undecided between the foot brace model vs. the Bogen 3 chicken leg stand. Given the tight situations that I sometimes have to shoot in for weddings, perhaps the Foot brace will do the job. I will only have to keep track of 1 legg instead of 3!! Thanks again!!!

Best regards,
Frank
Old September 29th, 2005, 05:36 PM   #6
Inner Circle

>Bogen 3 chicken leg

Have you actually tried one of these in person ? I don't know why they would
sell, other than as a super cheap option as a stand for a light reflector or something. I would never put anything that can be broken on one of these.
Sure, you can always remove the little legs as they are optional. Though, I think the temptation of a free-standing monopod would be too great. Stay away from evil.
Old September 29th, 2005, 07:29 PM   #7
Regular Crew

No I have not tried one. I did some search for the DuoPod and it does not look like many dealers carry it. The only place I found they might have them was a place called 16 x 9. But I have not got a price from them yet. I did order the Bogen Chicken legg model for now as it was fairly inexpensive.

I am not counting on hanging my XL-1s on it and walk away. As long as this set up will eliminate the unwanted side ways movement, I should be fine. From what I have heard, you can actually remove and install these leggs individually. I hope. Perhaps I can make my additions to it and make it do what I want. Only if I had my own machine shop!!!

Do you know what a DuoPod costs?

Frank
Old October 1st, 2005, 12:29 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Yeah, I've tried out the chicken legs on a monopod, and the model I tried (forget which) allowed you to remove the legs.

From the Shutterbug article :
"the Uni-Loc DuoPod (DPA, $89 street) and DuoPod Pro (DPK, $149.95 street) foot braces add a large dose of lateral stability"

Pro4 Imaging Inc. (Uni-Loc)
701 Aspen Peak Loop #523
Henderson, NV 89015
(800) 636-0844
www.pro4.com
Old October 3rd, 2005, 12:19 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Thankx again Gints. I will contact Pro 4 and see what they have available.

I can tell that, you have been through this search already. What did you end up with at the end?

Frank
Old October 14th, 2005, 12:35 AM   #10
Inner Circle

I bought the Giotto multifunciton show with the swivel base, though I am unable to mount it on my Bogen tripods. I'll have to find some sort of adapter. It doesn't swivel as smoothly as I would like, though some lube will help.
Old October 20th, 2005, 11:29 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Gints,

Did you find a way to make it work?

I ended up returning my Bogen chicken leg stand as it was not as stable as I thought. It will be a perfect tool for still cameras but not an XL-1s!!!

I am leaning more towards the Duopod now. I just got to get around to measurning the diameter of the Monopod to make sure I get the right version. My guess is that the Mini will be the right one for my Bogen Mono-Pod.

Frank
Old February 28th, 2006, 06:21 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daghigh
Gints,

Did you find a way to make it work?

I ended up returning my Bogen chicken leg stand as it was not as stable as I thought. It will be a perfect tool for still cameras but not an XL-1s!!!

I am leaning more towards the Duopod now. I just got to get around to measurning the diameter of the Monopod to make sure I get the right version. My guess is that the Mini will be the right one for my Bogen Mono-Pod.

Frank
Can you update us on what you finally ended up using -- the duopod or something else (and what you would do if you had to do it over again)?

Thanks.
Marc Ries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2006, 07:21 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Unfortunately, I have not done much with this project. I have to pick it back up again before the next wedding season starts.

Frank
Old May 12th, 2006, 12:47 PM   #14
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Daghigh
Unfortunately, I have not done much with this project. I have to pick it back up again before the next wedding season starts.

Frank
Frank take a look at this new Fluid Base Monopod from Bogen...
http://www.bogenimaging.us/product/t...14&itemid=3236

I have the chicken legged one as well, and hate the flex in the legs as well, but these legs look much more substantial.
Old September 8th, 2006, 05:45 PM   #15
Major Player

Hi Frank,

Have you considered just attaching one of those right angle metal corner units to the bottom by way of hose clamps ? Many sizes to choose from. Simple, cheap, quick and easy to mount/dismount. You can even mount 2 ( to use either foot) or 3 (for max stability) depending on what you need.

2nd, how about using a Belt Mount ? Nothing to trip over. Easy and cheap to make. Easier to change positions and move about.

Harold
Harold Schreiber is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Monopods (incl. FlowPod)