Using Manfrotto monopods at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Monopods (incl. FlowPod)

Old April 8th, 2005, 07:59 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Using Manfrotto monopods

Hi,
could sum1 pls suggest the smallest 'good' Bogen fluid head to b used with monopod with xtendibale legs.
I find this kind of monopods a happi compromise in stediness and mobility btwn real tripods and simple sticks.

thnx and i's appreciate ur suggestions.
Mike Sakovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2005, 11:33 AM   #2
Major Player

Why would you want a fluid head on a monopod? Added cost and weight does not add anything.
Bob Costa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2005, 03:39 PM   #3
Major Player

You don't want a fluid head for a monopod. Even with the best fluid head in the world you aren't going to get a good pan without the stability of a TRIpod. Monopods are for sports shooters and instant setup on shots that aren't expected to be perfect (for video)... sure you see great shots from still cams (think of all the white Canon lenses at any sporting event... on monopods)... well the still cams are at 1/125-1/250 of a second and any panning is for sub-1/30 timing. My point is that panning with a monopod isn't going to be anything like panning with a good head on a tripod... no matter what. At medium to tele settings the slightest change in angle will make a HUGE change in the picture.

I got a pretty good monopod and I put the 3229 tilt head on it 'cause it's super-light and small. All you really want to add to a monopod is TILT... you can supply the pan.

I've got a really good friend who has just become interested in video in the last year... and he always looks for a new way to do things... while I find this admirable in spirit, I've been unable to convince him that there's a reason why EVERY pro uses what they use. There's a reason you haven't ever seen a good fluid head on a monopod... it's just not a good idea.
Matt Gettemeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2005, 05:42 AM   #4
Trustee

Manfrotto monopod applications

When I was at B&H last March, I decided to return the type 681B monopod I had bought and got a 682B instead. That's one of the wisests moves I ever made.

The 682 has three detachable legs that screw-on at the base, which let's you use it as an emergency camera tripod or as a support for light light heads or as a mic stand.

Above have been the applications I have used extensively till now, and others might occur in the future.

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2005, 06:30 AM   #5
Major Player

Hi Carlos,

The detachable legs also give you added stability when using the camera way over your head for high shots. It also adds to your stability when using the monopod as a boom. I have found that when using a regular monopod in this fashion results in shaky footage.

You can see examples of this on the link below. The first shot after the menu and the next to the last shot are examples of this technique. Click on view sample under Moving Camera Techniques.

http://www.tulsaweddingvideos.com/videographers.shtml
Old May 24th, 2005, 09:06 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Von Lanken
The detachable legs also give you added stability when using the camera way over your head for high shots. It also adds to your stability when using the monopod as a boom. I have found that when using a regular monopod in this fashion results in shaky footage.

My guess is you probably hold the legs against your shoulder to achieve that, right? It should provide a firm base to make your movements from. A closer screen would help there too.

One thing I do not like on the monopod is that the legs do a clinging noise when inside the pod. I tried a rubber-band, but it will no fit.

To do a more steadicam-like unit from it, I am looking for a screwable part that I could use to hold a weight from that end, without the legs.

Carlos
Old May 24th, 2005, 09:19 AM   #7
Inner Circle

To solve the clanking noise from the legs I use a small piece of either gaffers tape or electrical tape. They still move around and clank but it doesn't seem as loud.

For additional weight on the bottom to help balance it as a "steadicam" type unit I went to a local sporting goods store and bought a 2 1/2 pound wrist weight. I velcrod it to the bottom and it seems to work pretty well. I generally have a WA attachment on the camera as well as a small light so the little bit of extra weight on the bottom really helps. Also its easy to remove and put on when needed.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2005, 09:31 AM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Bloom
To solve the clanking noise from the legs I use a small piece of either gaffers tape or electrical tape. They still move around and clank but it doesn't seem as loud.
That's what I did too, though using paper tape. Not too practical though.

Quote:
For additional weight on the bottom to help balance it as a "steadicam" type unit I went to a local sporting goods store and bought a 2 1/2 pound wrist weight. I velcrod it to the bottom and it seems to work pretty well. I generally have a WA attachment on the camera as well as a small light so the little bit of extra weight on the bottom really helps. Also its easy to remove and put on when needed.
Sounds good too. The next good thing would be to add a 90-degree bar to it, so we can have a better control of the camera.

Carlos
Old May 24th, 2005, 09:49 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos E. Martinez
My guess is you probably hold the legs against your shoulder to achieve that, right? It should provide a firm base to make your movements from. A closer screen would help there too.

Carlos
Hi Carlos,

Actually the monopod is against my stomach or chest. I use a combination of wide angle lenses to give the sense of motion and added distance from the subject. I also use a tripod head so I can angle the camera down.

There is a lot of behind the scenes footage so you can see what I am doing with the camera to gain the desired look. I also compare the standard lens with a few different wide angle lenses so you can actually see the difference.
Old May 24th, 2005, 05:02 PM   #10
Inner Circle

I also use a tripod head on the monopod. Yes it adds weight but the control factor outweighs that IMO.

The tape thing isn't a problem. I always have a roll in my bag and am only using the legs when its necessary so when I open them up I just put the small piece of tape somewhere on the monopod and when I'm done it's right there to reuse.

Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2005, 11:31 PM   #11
Major Player

when i need to capture ambient noise, i usually set up my sony ecm999 on the 682b monopod with the sony mic holder. the mic is too big for on-camera use, and i have my shotgun on my boom pole. the 682b is perfect as a field-ready mic stand.
Henry Cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2006, 02:09 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Bogen/Manfrotto 695 Magfiber Monopod

I was just wondering if anyone has one and their experiences with it. Looks pretty cool to me :-)
Beth Dill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2006, 09:07 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Using Manfrotto 503 head with monopod -- how?

I see in various threads where people have successfully mounted a 503 head on a Manfrotto monopod, in particular, the 682B. But I don't see how to do this. Do you remove the entire bowl part from the 503 head (i.e., remove the 3 set-screws used to tighten the bowl for tripod use)? I removed the handle on the head which controls the leveling, but that just left a large screw that doesn't fit into the monopod. Any help would be appreciated.
Patricia Lamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2006, 06:26 PM   #14
Major Player

Yes, just remove the bowl. Unscrew the set screws between the bowl and the head and lock the bowl to your tripod. Engage the pan lock on the head and twist the head off. If the head won't come off and keeps slipping through the pan, you have to give the head a quick jerk while twisting it and it will pop free. Once you have the head free from the bowl you will see a 3/8" tapped hole on the bottom of head. This screws to the 3/8" bolt on the monopod.
Tim Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2006, 07:57 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Thanks, that's just what I needed. It works great.
Patricia Lamm is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Monopods (incl. FlowPod)