Has Anyone Made a Monopod with Wheels??? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Monopods (incl. FlowPod)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Old November 11th, 2006, 11:46 AM   #16
Major Player

Richard-

I'm jumping on this thread a bit late, but I have some ideas for your "dolly".

1. I noticed that you used a framing bracket for the "base" of the dolly - does this flex alot and lead to unecessary bumps? I am considering welding something together to be very firm.

2. Have you thought about rollerblade wheels? They can be had inexpensivly, and have a very low rolling resitance. Perhaps this would help withthe starting and stopping.

I am currently planning out a build for myself and am trying to bounce ideas around.
Patrick Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2006, 05:38 PM   #17
Trustee

If you think you are jumping into this thread late, I am really tardy! I've been thinking that a monopod that has a pan head doesn't need three or four wheels. A short wheel base is unstable, so how about losing a wheel and making a two-wheel portable dolly that makes it's own track? Make it like an inline skate with two big wheels and line it up with the aisle in the church or whatever area you are using. Use the pan head for all other movements, but use the smooth wheels for camera position.
Marcus Marchesseault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2006, 10:48 PM   #18
Major Player

yes, there was too much bending in the bracket. The worst part was it was top heavy. I could get some good straight movements out of it, but the corners and turns were hard.

I am very interested in how your monopod with wheels fairs, so please keep us updated.
Richard Zlamany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2007, 11:36 AM   #19
New Boot

If you other guys were getting into this thread late, well I guess I am now breaking the world record...

Anyway, I have been thinking about doing something like this as well, I do a lot of shoots in schools and many times I want to roll my camera down a hallway or through a crowd.

I have been thinking about doing this, except with a tripod, but now I see that a monopod may be much easier to implement, because the leg is always perpendicular to the ground, (and I dont want to mess up my manfrotto).

Anyway, I was thinking of using some strong piping as the 'monopod' I think it will add weight and stability and together with larger wheels like these http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=42485 I may be on to something...

What do you think?
Ethan Piliavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2007, 12:09 PM   #20
Major Player

My monopod with wheels was a failure because the base was too thin and not wide enough. This made the device top heavy and bouncy.

The wheels in the link look good, but I'd be worried about the tires not being smooth enough.

I used the front wheels of shopping carts from super markets. They worked well.

Since then, I have bought a Merlin. The Merlin is great, but it needs a seperate lighter cam, so it slows me down and is harder to setup than a monopod with wheels.

Check this link for some other ideas that might work for you;

http://www.vfgadgets.com

Anyhow, if you are successful in making "MWW" please show it off.
Richard Zlamany is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > Support Your Local Camera > Monopods (incl. FlowPod)