DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Monopods (incl. FlowPod) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/monopods-incl-flowpod/)
-   -   Has Anyone Made a Monopod with Wheels??? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/monopods-incl-flowpod/75047-has-anyone-made-monopod-wheels.html)

Richard Zlamany September 7th, 2006 11:08 PM

Has Anyone Made a Monopod with Wheels???

Hi, I've working on making my monopod have wheels. I connected one wheel to the bottom and this was a bust. I realize I need at least 3 wheels for the bottom for this to work well. I would like to use this monopod with wheels for weddings and receptions.

My question is does anyone use a monopod with wheels and is this even a good idea? Does anyone have any advice on what sort of wheel to put on.

Richard Alvarez September 8th, 2006 07:03 AM

Well, once you put three wheels on... you effectively have a tripod on casters. Or a dolly tripod if you will. Plenty of those available.

Richard Zlamany September 8th, 2006 09:12 AM

The real difference is size. A Tripod on casters is big sometimes not even fitting through doorways. Many priests do not like a tripod near the alter because of its size. A monopod is a less of an eye-soar. I also imagine it would be great for the 1st dance and parent dances as I wheel I around the dancers.

My idea is different by the fact that the wheels will be close together close to the monopod base. A monopod is thin. The wheels are 5 inches and smooth rolling. They came from a shoppping kart.

I should have my new design completed soon and I will post pics.

Lisa Shofner September 8th, 2006 09:31 AM

great idea

I was planning to do the exact same thing. I agree with you, it would be great - especially for shooting dances. I think with good wheels and lots of practice, the movement could be extremely smooth.

Kevin Shaw September 8th, 2006 11:01 AM

I'd be skeptical this would be a good idea compared to simply practicing making smooth movements while carrying a monopod, or having a quick-release plate so you can detach the camera when you need to do moving shots. Adding wheels would make the monopod heavier and less mobile, and having to keep the wheels on the ground would limit your camera movements compared to hand-held shots. Let us know if you get this idea to work satisfactorily.

Speaking of monopods, have you seen the new Manfrotto one with a fluid swivel base? Sounds promising...

http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/cache...%7C113&idx=116

Damian Clarke September 8th, 2006 11:46 AM

Hey, I've never used a monopod but I would imagine it's not a bad idea if it suits the purpose. Funny enough I had an idea a while ago about a tripod head that also tilts left and right, so you have 3 planes of movement in total. Tilt up and down, pan left and right and tilt side to side. The only way to achieve it at the moment is to physically lean your whole tripod to the left or right..not nice.
Or am I wrong, is there a tripod head out there that can do it? I'm no engineer, but I'm sure it's possible.
Good luck with the monopod by the way ;)

Harold Schreiber September 8th, 2006 05:33 PM

Hi Richard,

Being a Roller Skater, I've attached a Roller (the 4 wheeled kind) Skate Truck (2 wheels on an axle) to my MonoPod. Did not find it very usefull.

I found it better to use my MonoPod attached to a belt mount I made. Less stuff to trip over, inaddition to being able to change vertical position easier and quicker.

Unless you put the wheels on some type of easy swivel device, it can be a problem.

Harold

Richard Zlamany September 8th, 2006 08:11 PM

What is in the works is 3 shopping kart wheels that swivel to a plate that screws on to the bogen 3231 monopod.

I use a bogen 501 head on top of this monopod.

There's a 4 pound weight on the bottom because I like my monpods not too light. If the wheels make up for this weight, I'll take the weight off.

I find weight adds to the stability when walking with the monopod.

The monopod should be completed and tested after next weekend.

Richard Zlamany September 10th, 2006 11:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The prototype is up and running. The test will be next weekend, since I don't have a dance floor or a church aisle in my apartment. What I notice right now with this design is that there is some drag on the carpet while the wheels have no drag on the kitchen floor. It weighs 5.5 pounds.

Right now I am wondering if a 4th wheel would be better for balance.

All comments and ideas are welcomed.

Harold Schreiber September 10th, 2006 02:06 PM

Hi Richard,

Looks good. You'll always get some drag on most carpets. You might also consider making a second base with the wheels about twice the distance apart you've got this set. Might give you a bit more stability.

Harold

Noah Hayes September 10th, 2006 02:40 PM

I hope I'm not the only one thinking this, but WHY? It looks like you've put a lot of work into it, but (to me at least) it looks like an excessive amount of effort to make a monopod a little smoother on the dance floor, assuming you don't try to adjust the height. Why don't you just get a glidecam or steadicam stabilizer, it would make the video smoother, plus give you the added bonus of smoother motion vertically as well as having that "flying" look! Just my two cents...

Richard Zlamany September 10th, 2006 03:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A wider base may be the key to better balance. A 4th wheel and moving the pole to the center might help too.

It's not a lot of work and it is fun, so don't ask why. It's like asking why do the birds sing?

There are a few shots where this invention will work well, and maybe even a few surprise shots, too.

My 1st shot, that the boss likes, is the walk down the aisle with the cam pointed at the guests in the pews.

The 2nd is the 1st dance and parent dances.

But who knows there may be times where I am wheeling around in front of the alter following the Bride and Groom as they light the unity candle.

This invention might not be for every wedding and hall, but there will be a few where it will work well. It is a tool like my modified shoulder support (which I absolutely love) to offer me options.

Also, I can connect to the monopod, tripod, & shoulder support in less than 30 seconds. Try that with glidecam.

Why would I adjust the height. I have 501 head on it with a 3d head below that.

After the wedding next weekend I will post footage and my conclusion.

Richard Zlamany September 16th, 2006 10:41 PM

Well I couldn't make it work to my liking. It was either too easy or too hard to move. Also, the balance was bad.

I tried it at the church and had a hard time wrestling it to stay balanced. At the reception it was better, but still the same problems. On the dance floor it felt like it was rolling away from me. On the carpet it was hard to push and keep balanced.

However, I have not given up on this idea.

Tom Tomkowiak October 17th, 2006 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Zlam
... Many priests do not like a tripod near the altar because of its size...

I agree that a tripod in the front of any house of worship is really noticeable unless you can hide most of it behind a flower arrangement or something. I use a 2nd camera, unamanned, on a tripod, and I do think it sticks out. I never considered a monopod on wheels, but I have been working on a camera-on-a-stick, so to speak.

Anyway, a single vertical pipe with a camera (unmanned) mounted on it wouldn't be invisible, but I think it would blend into the background better. Initially I considered a fixed length pipe, but experience says it has to be adjustable.

Currently under consideration is an aluminum pole of the type normally used with a basket at the end for scooping debris out of swimming pools. The metal is light but sturdy, and there's a twist grip for adjusting the length.

I looked at the Manfrotto monopod Kevin mentioned, but that has a max height of only 5'. I want the flexibility to get the camera up to at least 8'.

Oh, I didn't mention that I already use a motorized remote controlled head with camera #2, so for anyone wondering, no, I won't also need to haul around a stepladder to aim the camera.

I have a couple of engineering details to work out, but I'll be back with a photo or two when this goes operational.

Richard Zlamany October 17th, 2006 12:26 PM

Interesting. I can't wait to see the design.

I have some free time coming up and I will update the pics for my monopod with wheels, once the new design is complete.