DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Monopods (incl. FlowPod) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/monopods-incl-flowpod/)
-   -   Uses for your Monopod (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/monopods-incl-flowpod/97659-uses-your-monopod.html)

David Jasany June 27th, 2007 01:12 PM

Uses for your Monopod

I'm considering purchasing an inexpensive monopod for my amatuer work. I shoot mostly handheld and sometimes with a tripod. I would use the monopod mainly for my daughter's sports. Would you recommend a monopod for this work for steadying the shot? I'm looking at the the Bogen 676B monopod and 3229 head. I like that the 676B is very short collapsed and light which might encourage me to use it more frequently. My camera is the Sony HC7.

Are there some that prefer handheld over a using a monopod?

Thanks.
Dave

Matthew Gore June 27th, 2007 06:51 PM

Mono pod

A mono pod is a great choice for that size camera. The problem with some of the real small cameras these days is they make a great picture, but because they are so small, you can't put them on you shoulder like the big camcorders, which in the hands of a good cameraman, was a pretty good steady platform for handheld work. The mono pod really lowers the center of gravity for the camera and eliminates some of the hand wrist movement that always comes when tryig to handhold the smaller cams. I'm not sure you need any kind of pan'tilt head for the mono pod however. For any kind of pans or tilts, I think you are much better off with a tripod.

Harold Schreiber June 27th, 2007 07:18 PM

Hi David,

You don't mention what "sports" your daughter is into, that could make a difference in what folks suggest.

As for the Mono-Pod, you can increase it's steadiness by attaching a small handle to it and using a Neck Strap attached to the top. You can also use a holder that attaches to your belt, to allow for more mobility. I've also added a custom articulating head to it, allowing the Cam to be at different angles.

These are the Mods I've made to my Bogen unit.

Another option is a Chest-Pod unit. I've Modified mine to include side handles for maximum control.

For strickly handheld, I've made up a handle for the Cam to allow for better control of it.

Can send you Pics of these units and Mods if interested.

Harold

David Jasany June 28th, 2007 09:02 AM

Thanks guys. I didn't know the monopod could also be used for lowering the center of gravity for a handheld shot. Great info.

I'm probably going to order the monopod and head and give it a try.

George Ellis July 2nd, 2007 08:27 AM

Carrying the monopod along questionable streets might also make you an unlikely target for mischief. I know I have carried mine like a walking stick when the neighborhood was in doubt.

Jason Sovey July 31st, 2007 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Ellis (Post 705834)
Carrying the monopod along questionable streets might also make you an unlikely target for mischief. I know I have carried mine like a walking stick when the neighborhood was in doubt.

I bought a Manfrotto 680 monopod today, with the 678 folding tripod legs. The legs fold up and are stored in the tubing when not in use. This assembly adds about a pound of weight at the bottom, which adds a bit of counterbalance for 'steadicam' type useage. It could also serve as a nightstick if needed for self-defense. Or with a retractable spiked foot installed, it could be a cattle prod. Although if the camera is still attached it could make things a bit cumbersome.

David Jasany July 31st, 2007 06:30 AM

I purchased the Manfrotto 676B Monopod and 3229 head. Both products are a very nice quality given the low prices. Other than testing it once, I haven't had a need for it yet.

Jason Sovey July 31st, 2007 01:40 PM

Playing around with my monopod, I found another little trick: I hold it upside-down, with the camera 6 inches off of the ground. Afterwards, using my NLE, I invert the image so it's upright. This allows for a cheap low-mode camera shot.