DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Monopods (incl. FlowPod) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/monopods-incl-flowpod/)
-   -   Bogen / Manfrotto 561B monopod (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/monopods-incl-flowpod/97716-bogen-manfrotto-561b-monopod.html)

Michael Wisniewski June 28th, 2007 01:17 AM

Bogen / Manfrotto 561B monopod

I see a few people are using this. Any feedback? Is it a keeper? Or did you trade it in for something else? How is it with a camera like the XH A1?

Kevin Dooley July 19th, 2007 02:17 PM

I am also interested in this monopod... we have an earlier Bogen/Manfrotto monopod with fold out legs, but the legs rattled when folded in, thus making it useless for any shots with audio recording...

Is this a problem with the 560/1/2B monopods?

Gints Klimanis July 19th, 2007 02:31 PM

I have this monopod and used it with a Sony Z1U. The legs do not rattle at all as they provide a firm grip on the floor. It works as advertised, and it completely solves the problem of the rotating the monopod in place on a grippy surface, be it a gym mat or a clean floor. I would add a cotton sock and all sorts of other contraptions that would eventually fall off or wear out.

My only issue with this monopod is that the ball in the base is a little too stiff. Primarily, this adds a large jolt when repositioning the monopod while recording, which is done to cover indoor action martial arts. The unit is not designed to help in this area, so I've switched to a better camera support - the DvMultiRig. I don't see why the ball in the base is so stiff. A dangerous by product is that uninitiated may forget and let the camera stand on the base and eventually topple over to smash into pieces.

Kevin Dooley July 19th, 2007 02:43 PM

2 things:

1. Is it possible to adjust the ball so that it isn't quite so stiff?

2. I assume the legs don't rattle while in use, I'm more concerned with them making noise when folded up. Do they lock in place?

Michael Wisniewski July 19th, 2007 03:14 PM

I was able to try the 561B with an XH A1 and it worked very well. It's a nice fit for that size camera. Same review as Gint, it works as advertised.

But in the end I returned. It's too much like a tripod for me. For what I do, I usually have a tripod ready, and then I switch to a monopod when the action gets mobile. The 561B was too heavy and had too many similar features to be useful in that capacity.

I ended up going with the 557B Video monopod, which is simpler, lighter, and has a skinnier pole. As a basic monopod, the 557B is also a good fit for the XH A1. The 557B comes with the same quick release plate that fits on the 701RC, 501, 503 etc. heads.

** the legs on the 561B do lock into place

Kevin Dooley July 19th, 2007 03:17 PM

Thanks, that info helps a lot. I agree that if I have a tripod handy, I don't need a monopod that's overly like a tripod. But there are times when I only carry a monopod, and it might be useful to have some more tripod-like functionality... Maybe I'll get one of each (if I can talk the boss into it).

Gints Klimanis July 19th, 2007 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Dooley (Post 714424)
2 things:

1. Is it possible to adjust the ball so that it isn't quite so stiff?

2. I assume the legs don't rattle while in use, I'm more concerned with them making noise when folded up. Do they lock in place?

1. The ball isn't so stiff as to impede any kind of panning action. It's perfect for that. The ball / leg assembly is just a little stiffer than I'd like as the legs do a ka-thump when the monopod is repositioned

2. The legs lock securely when folded up.

Gints Klimanis July 19th, 2007 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin Dooley (Post 714439)
Thanks, that info helps a lot. I agree that if I have a tripod handy, I don't need a monopod that's overly like a tripod. But there are times when I only carry a monopod, and it might be useful to have some more tripod-like functionality... Maybe I'll get one of each (if I can talk the boss into it).

I don't think this monopod is like a tripod. It's still a monopod in size and weight. I see the 561B as a monopod with the rotation stick problem solved. If the monopod is too thin, it will just wiggle in oscillations when extended. The 561B is just right for anything in the Sony Vx2000/Z1 size and larger, although I agree it's too big for smaller cameras.

Denis Danatzko July 22nd, 2007 06:47 PM

I found one user review

at this site:

http://www.epinions.com/Bogen_Commun...Monopod_Tripod

It doesn't mention rattling legs, but it's decently comprehensive for an amateur review.

Gints Klimanis July 22nd, 2007 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denis Danatzko (Post 716852)
at this site:

http://www.epinions.com/Bogen_Commun...Monopod_Tripod

It doesn't mention rattling legs, but it's decently comprehensive for an amateur review.

That's the best review I've read for that device, period.

As an owner, the legs do not rattle. Sure, it's heavier than the usual monopod of its caliber. The additional weight is for the legs and ball head in the base. If you don't plan to use this monopod for dynamic video panning, don't buy it.

Jonathan Schwartz July 28th, 2007 07:24 PM

561 B

I have used the 561B extensively in filming anything from Band concerts to Dance recitals. I have a 503 head mounted on top to allow more flexibility with the tilt. Just understand that it is not a tripod. You can get great shots with a small profile but only for a limited amount of time. If you need a good shot all of the time camera, this is not the device for you. So far the best uses I have for it are 1) Wedding Receptions - No more worrying about people tripping over the tripod legs 2) On stage dance recital camera - Can collapse quickly to give great down the line shots of feet. As far as adjustability. You can tighten or loosen the ball with an allen wrench. I had a slight glitch in mine when it arrived that caused a hicup when I passed a certain point. I just gave the ball a shot of WD-40 and it has worked great ever since.

Jonathan Schwartz
Owner, CA Video Productions

Piotr Wozniacki August 29th, 2007 08:45 AM

561B with lanc?

I'm after a monopod myself (my Manfrotto 525/503 tripod has its uses, as does the PAG Orbitor shoulder support - but none of the two is easy for transportation). Apart from the 2 models that are sort of opposite extremities in weigth (560B - 0.7kg, 561B - 2kg), there also is the 562B (1.43kg, supports up to 8kg) - don't you think this would be the best for fully equipped V1 (with the DR60 drive, the light, wa converter, etc). I mean it's lighter than the 561B, yet offers even more support. The only thing I'm not sure about is the design; are the 3 identical (i.e. with the "fluid cartridge" in the base), or do they differ? With the cartridge, is a head also essential? Which of the 3 has both, and is it worthwile?

Am I right guessing that the 561B is the heaviest of the three becasue it's the only one to actually have 2 "heads" (base and upper), along with the pan arm? If so, can it be used with a lanc controller attached to the arm?

On the other hand, already having a tripod - perhaps I'd be better off to go with a monopod as lightweigth as only possible, i.e. the 560B? Do you think it will support the fully equipped V1?
I have no experience in monopods, guys - so please forgive my questions being so basic...

Guy Cochran November 6th, 2007 02:31 PM

Here's a little video that gives a bit of detail. http://www.dvcreators.net/manfrotto-561b-monopod/

Mervyn Keys November 27th, 2007 02:43 PM

561b

Just purchased 561B and did a wedding with it at the weekend. Have to say excellent. Gives a lot more flexibility and freedom of movement around the fringes of guests and the extra large height enabled me to shoot over the heads of the guests.
Fluid movement in the ball at the moment but I had a similar cheaper monopod (much lighter) and fom time to time the fluid movement became a bit creaky. WD40 did the trck and I would assume that I could do the same with the 561B.
Only problem is that when using it as an alternative to tripod, it is hands on all the time. I heard of one videographer who had an expensive crash because he trusted the three "feet" a little too much and voila...!

Erik CaPaul March 21st, 2008 07:42 PM

I'm torn on this one. I purchased it and like it a great deal, but I was also considering a tripod. I have a Panasonic AG-HSC1U, very small AVCHD video camera. I was hoping this would be versatile enough where I could tranfer the head to a tripod if I get one in the future. wouldnt I have more versatility if I purchased the 560B, rather than the 561B, then put a 701RC2 head on it? I know I would be doubling up on fluid pan because I would have it in the head and at the base of the monopod, but couldn't I simply lock down the pan control on the head and utilize the base when on the monopod, then if I want to transfer the head to a tripod? If I keep the 561B I'm stuck with this "modified" 701RC2, which from what I can see the modifications are that it uses a different plate and most importantly has no pan control.

Thoughts?
Erik