DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/mpg4-sanyo-xacti-all-models/)
-   -   Need buying decision HD700 vs HV10 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/mpg4-sanyo-xacti-all-models/107015-need-buying-decision-hd700-vs-hv10.html)

Matt Schafer November 1st, 2007 09:19 AM

Need buying decision HD700 vs HV10

For about the same price I can get either an HD700 which I really like it for its size, flash recording, and still picture quality OR A Canon HV10. Its bigger but still small, does 1080i, but uses Mini DV which isn't too bad since I have quite a few Mini DV tapes but not quite as easy for transfering to computer than flash. So what would YOU buy if you had $600? I'm taking a trip next weekend and need to decide today.

Matt Schafer November 1st, 2007 02:58 PM

Well I went with the HD700... I decided small is better.

Timothy Takemoto November 1st, 2007 06:13 PM

Flash memory is generally wonderful. You won't regret leaving the world of tape.
Neither of them have an external microphone.

Matt Schafer November 2nd, 2007 09:38 AM

An external mic is not something i'd use, so that's fine. I bought it from Amazon so I can always return it if I don't like it (or exchange for the HD1000).

Kaku Ito November 4th, 2007 09:32 AM

Should include Panasonic SD7 on your list.
I would buy SD7 over HD1000 because it is made as a video camera.
But I also have HV20 and it is so useful to have a small camera that does 24p to match with my other 24p capable larger size cameras.

edit:shoot, didn't realize that they don't sell SD7 outside of Japan. I played around a bit and I was certain it had english language selection.

John Matsuoka November 27th, 2007 02:57 AM

Panasonic SD7

I agree with Kaku. The SD7 seems to be a great alternative to the HD1000. Reason being that it has 3CCD and a similar form factor (pistol style). It seems more box shaped than the HD1000 and lighter (plastic feeling body).

I played around with it at Yodobashi Camera the other day as well and it does allow you to switch over the menu system to English.

I don't know how the video quality is compared to the HD1000. I'll take an SD card with me to the shop and see how the footage works and see if it's compatible with Mac.

Barry Smith November 27th, 2007 05:15 AM

I nearly bought an Xacti to play around with. How is the footage ?

Kaku Ito November 27th, 2007 09:51 AM

On SD7, I think it won't be much less in quality as the HSC1U.
HSC1U didn't break up as much as HD1000 when you pan the cam.

Steve Benner November 27th, 2007 02:05 PM

Over the weekend Amazon had the Sanyo down to $400. I think the sale is over though. I personally like the Sanyo better since k really don't like tapes anymore. For consumer uses the flash media and the Sanyo seem better.

Dave Eaton December 2nd, 2007 07:36 AM

Sanyo Xacti HD700

I wanted to add a pocket vid/cam to my kit as I seem to only carry a camera with me if there's some specific purpose in mind. Missed a lot of stuff by not having a camera with me. I was first thinking a pocket still camera that also shot video, Kodak V1253 does HD, but after testing it decided that a video camera that shot stills would be a better way to go.

I was looking at the Sanyo's and liked the HD1000's specs but when I got to play with one I discovered that it's too big for my pocket and would end up with my other gear after the first couple weeks of newness playing wore off. Searched the net and found a nice HD700 user review with sample stills and footage on Steve's Digicams. Then Amazon did their Black Friday thing which pushed me over the edge and I went for the HD700.

Just got it Friday and ran some tests yesterday. Shooting 4:3 stills with it is interesting but the image quality and videos samples I shot are quite nice. Definitely think it will ruin me for tape.

I plan to see of I can rig something up so I can use a 0.5x with it. So far, I like the camera.

Dave Eaton December 4th, 2007 05:02 PM

Sanyo Xacti HD700 $300

As of this second Amazon dropped the price of the HD700 to $299.99. No idea why or how long, others are still selling them for $550-599. I liked mine before but with the $100 refund I have coming, I REALLY like it. :-)

Paulo Teixeira December 4th, 2007 07:44 PM

They also increased the price of the HD1000 so it must be a more popular seller at Amazon. Sanyo is extremely lucky that Panasonic haven’t released the SD7 to the U.S. yet. That camcorder should have been out by now.

Dave Eaton December 5th, 2007 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira (Post 787349)
They also increased the price of the HD1000 so it must be a more popular seller at Amazon. Sanyo is extremely lucky that Panasonic haven’t released the SD7 to the U.S. yet. That camcorder should have been out by now.

I'd like the see the Panasonic SD7 but I'm quite pleased with the HD700 I bought. I like the way it feels and I like using it. I bought it to be a pocket carry camera as I have other cameras but never seem to feel like taking one out with me. The HD700 fixes that.

Paulo Teixeira December 5th, 2007 03:36 PM

That price drop makes the HD700 only 100 bucks more than the Aiptek GO-HD camcorder and considering the HD700 retails for 600, you’re literally getting it for half that. Now if only Amazon would offer this type of price drop to their more expensive camcorders.

Dave Eaton December 5th, 2007 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira (Post 787820)
That price drop makes the HD700 only 100 bucks more than the Aiptek GO-HD camcorder and considering the HD700 retails for 600, you’re literally getting it for half that. Now if only Amazon would offer this type of price drop to their more expensive camcorders.

It went up a bit more today -- $30 to $80 depending on color. It's like buying stock. :-)

I'm going to work on rigging up a wide angle adapter to mine. I really like it. Shooting on tape tomorrow and it feels primitive. :-)