Xacti HD700 audio - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)

(MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
A compact 720p MPEG4 digital media camera recording to SD Card.

Old January 1st, 2008, 09:26 PM   #16
Major Player

My little 14" laptop screen would make anything look good. I'll just have to get the HD1000 and do a similar test (thanks to Circuit City).
Yes, Les uses an HC3 too. With batteries, it's close to 1.5 pounds. Plus I've got the WA lens, the wireless mic, extra batteries. Not the 50 pounds of gear Les carries but then again, he's not out doing serious long-distance hiking (2000 miles) either.
Old January 2nd, 2008, 07:29 AM   #17
Major Player

Glad you said the 2,000 miles before I asked to join you. Wow, that sounds like a trek. You doing it in 7-days? :-)

Let us know how the HD1000 test goes.
Old January 2nd, 2008, 07:10 PM   #18
Major Player

Someone on Steve's Digicams asked for people with the HD700 to upload a video for him to compare to his in quiet. Thought I give you the link to mine (deleting in a couple of days) to compare with the one you have/had:

http://gallery.mac.com/crosby007#100247
Old January 8th, 2008, 09:10 AM   #19
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne Whelden View Post
I wish there was a forum other than steves dedicated to the use of this camera...
I guess that means this forum isn't doing a very good job. What can I do to change that. What improvements needs to happen in order for this forum to be considered the best destination on the web dedicated to the use of this camera?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old January 8th, 2008, 10:50 AM   #20
Regular Crew

I'm interested in reading more reviews on the HD1000. So far, they are mysteriously few and far between. But Amazon has 20 reviews posted from buyers. Their comments are all over the map, from raves to brickbats.
Old January 8th, 2008, 11:11 AM   #21
Major Player

Chris--Thanks for taking notice. Considering that I visit dvinfo at least once a day, sometimes more, that's saying alot for this forum. Here's my take on how there could be more traffic and more opinions regarding cameras such as the Xacti HD700:
There's a group of folks "out there," including myself, who are primarily interested in small, lightweight, high image quality camcorders for projects such as backpacking videos and other extreme sport docs, spot news, hidden camera needs, etc. Now that flash memory is coming into its own, such cameras are gaining footholds. But they tend to get lost in the shuffle when compared to all the other camcorders. All that adds up to diluted interest in general.
My suggestion is to create a separate category for...I'm not sure what to call it...pocket HD? backpacker's camcorders? spy cameras? (I don't like the term gadget cameras because that suggests low quality junk.) The criteria being that they can truly be carried in a pocket, their weight is well under a pound, and that they are truly HD.
I guess this might eventually include the rumored RED pocket cam, which would raise the visibility of such a sight.
Just my opinion.
Old January 8th, 2008, 04:57 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
I guess that means this forum isn't doing a very good job. What can I do to change that. What improvements needs to happen in order for this forum to be considered the best destination on the web dedicated to the use of this camera?
Hi Chris,

The forum name change may help, thanks for that. I remember it taking me almost two weeks to get accepted to be able to post. Is that still true?
Old January 8th, 2008, 05:10 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Brown View Post
I'm interested in reading more reviews on the HD1000. So far, they are mysteriously few and far between. But Amazon has 20 reviews posted from buyers. Their comments are all over the map, from raves to brickbats.
I find most of the Amazon reviews of equipment highly suspect. I know of a couple people that buy from Amazon for the liberal return policy so they can buy the gear, give it a quick once-over, write a review for the pay-per-view review sites and then return it. Some others seem to have very unrealistic expectations -- well beyond their skill levels, and take the intuitive intelligence approach to using things (translation: they don't even look at the manual). Then, when they're disappointed they flame the products.

The market for these things is varied. Some, like Lynne, are looking for HV20/HC3 type quality in an even smaller and lighter package. Some, like me, are looking for a pocket cam as a carry camera to supplement other gear, and others are looking for a full featured small camera as an only cam or even first cam.

A lot of the Amazon reviewers seem to be looking for an inexpensive pocket camera they can use out of the box, with no prior skill or experience, to shoot in almost complete darkness and get crisp rich vibrant noise-free images and video. Wait. Come to think of it, so do I. :-)
Old January 9th, 2008, 09:08 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Definitely, some of the Amazon reviewers are uninformed or unrealistic. More interesting are the experienced ones who praised the Sanyo for the value offered at this price point.

Besides the smaller and lighter and cheaper attributes, Sanyo is the only manufacturer implementing 720p/60fps capture in the sub-$2,000 range, that I'm aware of. There seems to be an industry-wide "specsmanship" obsession with achieving "Full HD" 1080 x 1920 pixel resolution at 30 fps, when 720 x 1280 pixels refreshed twice as often at 60 fps can offer the same perceived resolution, especially when motion is involved. (And if there's no motion, why video when a still camera would suffice?)
Old January 9th, 2008, 05:02 PM   #25
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne Whelden View Post
My suggestion is to create a separate category for...I'm not sure what to call it...pocket HD? backpacker's camcorders? spy cameras? (I don't like the term gadget cameras because that suggests low quality junk.) The criteria being that they can truly be carried in a pocket, their weight is well under a pound, and that they are truly HD.
Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. I think your idea has merit... perhaps it's time to do away with the "consumer camcorders" category title and shape it more along the lines of "compact camcorders for professionals" or thereabouts. I could see a specialized peripherals forum such as tripods, bags etc. to support it. "Small World" maybe...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eaton View Post
The forum name change may help, thanks for that.
Don't know why I didn't take care of it any earlier. Sometimes I need to be prodded along these lines.

Quote:
I remember it taking me almost two weeks to get accepted to be able to post. Is that still true?
It's true that I process all new registrationss by hand, and sometimes that happens quickly and sometimes it doesn't. I'm sorry you had to wait so long to get in; that was right after NAB which is always an incredibly busy time for me. I hope your experience so far has been worth the wait.

Old January 11th, 2008, 10:14 AM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
I hope your experience so far has been worth the wait.
Sure, hassle at the time was I was looking to purchase a camera and really wanted to ask some questions and get opinions from owners beofre buying, and the wait drove me nuts -- yeah, it was a short trip. :-)

As to the HD700, it's a special purpose additional camera to pros/semi-pros but most popular with first time video camera buyers as a point and shoot still/video cam. Judging from the traffic on Steve's Digicams for it, few of the people buying them have any video camera experience and they'd be pretty intimidated on a forum like this.

Aren't many people there to discuss things like the issues Lynne was having with audio in silent locations or high image quality needs in a small light backpackable camera.

Not a lot of active Sanyo user posters here though. I see high counts of thread viewings but few posters. Example. Matthew's post of a quick HD1a video has 300 views and 1 reply, mine.
Old January 11th, 2008, 11:55 AM   #27
Obstreperous Rex

Well, in response to a complaint in our Sony HVR-A1 forum, I've changed the name of this category from "consumer" HD to "compact" HD. There are some aspects of the DV Info Net community which won't change, such as our real-names-only policy, and I realize that it keeps some people away, but that's okay... I don't want just anybody posting here. The site is purposefully designed to reach out to a specific group of folks and not be all things to all people. However, anyone is welcome to lurk here, and a large part of our audience are those folks who just come here to read, so that's why the views are so high. Ultimately I'm not looking to create the biggest Sanyo Xacti forum, just the best, in terms of the quality of the content and how useful the information is.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)