Upgrade from HD2 to HD700? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

(MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
A compact 720p MPEG4 digital media camera recording to SD Card.

Old January 27th, 2008, 04:29 AM   #1
New Boot

Upgrade from HD2 to HD700?

Hi all, just wondering if its worth upgrading my HD2 for the HD700, is the image quality better and most important is the image stabiliszation useable on the HD700 .

I really like my HD2 but the lack of decent image stabilization really bugs me (I dont use it at all cos it destroys the image quality). I notice that the HD700 is slightly smaller than the HD2, is it now truly pocketable.

Should I wait for the next gen of xacti cams to appear or will the HD700 satisfy my 2 main problems with the HD2.

Thanks.
Old January 27th, 2008, 08:21 PM   #2
Major Player

my opinion

I haven't owned the HD2 but did briefly own the HD700. Opinion is that HD700 excels as a pocket cam. However, if your expectation is sharp images that hold up on the truly big screen (I tried it on a 52"), you'll be disappointed. You'll also be disappointed with the audio if you're looking for clean, hiss-free stuff. I'll say it again, as a truly portable device, it's great for youtube stuff and fleeting events that you need a camera right then and there for. Can't be beat for quick on the draw stuff. You'll be the first on the block to record something that others could only dream they'd been ready for.
Old January 29th, 2008, 12:29 PM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Sykes View Post
I really like my HD2 but the lack of decent image stabilization really bugs me (I dont use it at all cos it destroys the image quality). I notice that the HD700 is slightly smaller than the HD2, is it now truly pocketable.
Stabilization can be fixed in post processing. What you really want to avoid is motion blur when the camera is moving by accident.

Fast shutter times means you need a big lens which these cameras don't have. An alternative would be true optical stabilization and they don't have that either. You may compensate for the smal lens with a senisitive image chip and I guess the HD700 is better in that respect.

I only have the older HD1a but it is still possible to get perfectly stable videos from it while handheld. The built in digital stabilization is total crap and should never be used! I use a free Virtualdub plugin, Deshaker (Gunnar Thalin) and an example can be seen here:

http://www.stage6.com/user/kennethmn/video/2146790/

It also happens to be an experiment with 5.1 surround sound as the HD1a has extremely bad built in audio. The image quality is not perfect but definately usable. I had the camera in one hand and the little Zoom H2 field recorder in the other and even walked around while filming.
Old February 5th, 2008, 06:20 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Sykes View Post
Hi all, just wondering if its worth upgrading my HD2 for the HD700, is the image quality better and most important is the image stabiliszation useable on the HD700 .

Should I wait for the next gen of xacti cams to appear or will the HD700 satisfy my 2 main problems with the HD2.
While I love my HD700 and it's with me 90% of the time, had the HD2 been available at the same price I'd probably have gotten a HD2 instead. What I like about the HD2 is the round shaped, easy to adapt, 10x zoom lens, and mic jack. The magnetic Phoenix M-Power 0.45x works fine on the HD700 but it's not as secure a mount as the Sanyo 0.6x and 1.4x lenses for the HD2.

I haven't run any extensive tests on the stabilizer on the HD700 and tend to forget to even turn it on (I don't shoot in low light) but in this test it seemed to work well: http://www.vimeo.com/438319

I find the image quality, both still and video, to be quite good, then my needs and idea of good and yours may differ. I liked what I saw from the HD2 in this sneak peek at the HD1000 which was shot with a HD2: http://techvideoblog.com/ifa/sanyo-hd1000/

Later...

Just saw the Panasonic SDR-S150 on sale for $400 at J&R. 10x zoom, optical image stabilizer, 37mm threaded lens, ND filters, etc:
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.proc...ed.PAN+SDRS150

Last edited by Dave Eaton; February 5th, 2008 at 06:59 PM.
Old July 4th, 2008, 01:39 AM   #5
Regular Crew

"What I like about the HD2 is the round shaped, easy to adapt, 10x zoom lens, and mic jack."

I have the HD1 (original) and it has a 10x zoom and mic jack??

What does easy to adapt mean? (I was considering getting another hd cam and wondered it it was worth the extra cost to get the hd2)
Old July 4th, 2008, 10:46 PM   #6
Trustee

I haven’t owned any of Sanyo’s camcorders but I wouldn’t get the HD700 because it doesn’t seem like an upgrade when you consider the fact that the zoom is half of the HD2. Since Sanyo is releasing the HD1010 soon, you’d probably get a good deal on the HD1000.
Old July 19th, 2008, 01:54 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Taylor View Post
"What I like about the HD2 is the round shaped, easy to adapt, 10x zoom lens, and mic jack."

I have the HD1 (original) and it has a 10x zoom and mic jack??

What does easy to adapt mean? (I was considering getting another hd cam and wondered it it was worth the extra cost to get the hd2)
Sorry, forgot about this thread. The HD2 has a round threaded lens, whereas the HD700 does not. So, you can screw on lenses, filters, homemade accessories, etc.

Depends on your needs, I wanted a smaller camera to be with me most of the time. The HD2 fit the bill as does the HD700. The HD1000 is just a bit too big for that for me.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)