Editing Sanyo MP4 files - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

(MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
A compact 720p MPEG4 digital media camera recording to SD Card.

Old February 5th, 2009, 07:44 AM   #16
New Boot

Editing Sanyo MP4 files with Premiere

Hi,
I'm interested in buying one of the new Sanyo Xacti cameras (HD2000), so I've been doing a lot of research on them. I've been looking for all the Sanyo MP4 clips I can find to throw at my editing programs to see how they handle them. I've found a few clips which I've downloaded and tried with both Premiere Pro CS4 and Edius 5. Neither of them handles them perfectly and in real time, but at the same time, I don't have the crashing problems other seem to be having. I'm running my programs in Vista Ultimate 32 (which I was skeptical of, but hasn't failed me yet), with 4GB of RAM and a Core 2 Duo Extreme (3GHz) Intel processor. I'm presently looking into H.264 codecs (like Cineform or Mainconcept) that may help to improve performance.

If anyone has Sanyo MP4 clips available for download, I'll gladly accept them. I'll also keep you up-to-date with anything that can help with this thread.

Cheers,
Colin

NOTE: All the clips so far have been in 720p, and it may be worth it to note that the new HD2000 does 1080/60p @ 24MB/s, which is a significantly bigger ball of wax!

Last edited by Colin Rootz; February 5th, 2009 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Additional info omitted
Old March 3rd, 2009, 09:08 PM   #17
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hedgecoe View Post
Just thought some might be interested in my experiences in trying to edit the Sanyo MP4 files (I have the HD1010).

I have tried many editors, including Premier Pro CS4 and Sony Vegas Pro, neither of which can handle the Sanyo files properly. Premier keeps crashing every few minutes and Vegas wants to generate 700 GB (yes gigabytes) renders of a 60 minute video.

I then tried the Womble MPEG Video Wizard, and much to my surprise it handled the Sanyo files flawlessly. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of PP or Vegas, but it does work and generates acceptabley sized final output.

So for those of you trying to figure out how to edit your Sanyo MP4 files, might I suggest you give the Womble MPEG Video Wizard a look.
So, Vegas Pro outputs a 700 gig file for a 60 minute video? Of course it will if you choose to render to an uncompressed AVI file!!!! What codec did you choose to render to? This is all that matters. The size of the file will be determined by the compression of the codec you choose. If you want to output to a MP4 codec, then you need to have one installed that allows you to encode (not only decode)!

I've used Vegas 8.0c and Vegas 8.1 (the 64 bit version) to edit MP4 video from my Sanyo Xacti without any problems.

Last edited by Michael Gyori; March 3rd, 2009 at 09:41 PM.
Old March 4th, 2009, 06:42 AM   #18
Regular Crew

I have the Sony EX1 and do a LOT of editing of those (1080P) files without any problems using both Premier Pro and Vegas 8.

When I tried to render the HD1010 files, the program output a 700GB file - NOT in uncompressed avi format but mpeg.

Frankly I just did not want to waste my time trying to trouble shoot for this toy camera. So I looked elsewhere and found that womble worked without any fuss or bother.

End of story.
Old March 24th, 2009, 05:38 AM   #19
Regular Crew

That program just crashes on my HD1000 files as well.
I'm trying to convert them but I'm hugely confused on the files.
Are they 29.94 in a 59.94 wrap or something ?
Do I need to do a 3:2 pull down ?
I'm in the UK, and it's really really really really annoying that these cameras are set to NTSC even though they are official UK cameras.
Old April 6th, 2009, 12:49 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Any updates on this?
Old April 6th, 2009, 08:26 PM   #21
Major Player

Just got the Sanyo FH1. The 60p MP4 files crashed Vegas when I tried to bring them into my project. Recorded some footage at 60i. If I bring the 60i footage into Vegas 1st, then I can use the 60p footage. Obviously something funny going on in Vegas with these Sanyo MP4 files.

Last edited by Ron Chau; April 7th, 2009 at 09:06 AM.
Old April 13th, 2009, 01:51 AM   #22
Major Player

Hello, Ron!

Can you upload samples with fast water scenes like surfing/windsurfing/kite (raw footage) at 1080p60 from Sanyo FH1 ?

Thank you in advance.

P.S. amazing underwater videos on your vimeo channel!
Old April 13th, 2009, 07:38 PM   #23
Major Player

Sorry, no surfing scenes around NY, but I did recently upload some footage of ducks on moving water fully zoomed in.

Thanks, underwater video is my big hobby. The Sanyo is for casual topside or for when I want to go unoticed. Although, it would probably do pretty well underwater. Only problem is most of the manufacturers only make waterproof housings for Canon and Sony camcorders.
Old April 14th, 2009, 01:09 AM   #24
Major Player

Ron, thanks for ducks - they are good surfers :)
Old April 14th, 2009, 11:24 AM   #25
Major Player

I had to return my VPC-FH1. It was getting purple banding on the right hand side from the top to the bottom. I read one other guy was getting the same thing. It wouldn't happen all the time but when it would show up it would be for about 4 clips in a row. I think on all the clips it happened on I was shooting 1080 60P at 1/1000 when I was shooting action stuff.

I want to rebuy it though, it's a great little sports/action/slowmo cam.
Old April 15th, 2009, 06:01 AM   #26
Major Player

I think these 1920x1080 60p MP4 files are too new for the editing programs to handle properly. For now, I will convert them to AVI intermediates or shoot in 30P. Still haven't decided. Will probably have to do some head to head testing before I make my decision.
Old April 15th, 2009, 10:52 AM   #27
Major Player

After effects handled them fine and I was able to render to a uncompressed 60P file but it had terrible preview performance in Vegas. I was hoping that Neo Scene would work for the 60P videos but I can't get a response.
Old April 15th, 2009, 03:20 PM   #28
Major Player

The cineform plugin that comes free with vegas pro8 can't handle the 1920x1080 60p files. Gives me an error. I've been using the Sony YUV option to go to AVI. Plays in vegas fine. I should try to download the cineform neo scene trial version to compare.
Old April 15th, 2009, 05:14 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olas Polare View Post
yeah i was struggling with this aswell when i started to edit my videos from japan last summer. first i tried vegas and it crashed a lot, then premiere but it was slow and didnt interpret the files correctly.
the way i got around it was making low res proxies which i would edit in premiere, and before exporting i would swap out the files for the full res clips.
all scripted and automated ofcourse.
im planning to make a tutorial one of these days and give away the scripts if anyone would be interested in this workflow..
i would love this Olas
Old April 16th, 2009, 11:04 AM   #30
Major Player

Downloaded the trial version of Cineform Neo Scene to convert the 1920x1080 60p files for use in Vegas.

Cineform conversion is quick, can be batched and avi files work well in Vegas. Now I know why Cineform is so popular.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)