Sanyo HD1 footage! - Page 13 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)

(MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
A compact 720p MPEG4 digital media camera recording to SD Card.

Old February 16th, 2006, 09:51 PM   #181
HDV Cinema

Downloaded several MP4 clips and they can be edited in FCP. Except performance is very slow and the audio remains embedded in the video clip.
Old February 16th, 2006, 10:20 PM   #182
Major Player

I did not even see that noise reduction feature. I tried it on and off with a couple of low light pictures and it seems to do almost nothing. Maybe even made it worse? The camera does process the pic for a few seconds. For very low light pictures they don't look horrible.

www.gamersden.com/hd1test/lowlamp.JPG
www.gamersden.com/hd1test/lowlampNR.JPG

www.gamersden.com/hd1test/lowcoke.JPG
www.gamersden.com/hd1test/lowcokeNR.JPG
Old February 17th, 2006, 07:42 AM   #183
Major Player

Joseph,

If I remember the manual correctly, the noise reduction was for long exposures - maybe a half second or so.

Thanks again for posting all the clips. I think something is misadjusted in the camera. Even manual color balance doesn't make it B&W. It's the darker part of the picture that shows the imbalance - in other words, the black level (like individual brightness for each color). This cannot be corrected by making adjustments to compensate for light color temperature. If the black balance is correct, there will be no color with the lens capped - No light involved - no correction for different color light (there is none). It appears that the black level for ALL colors is too low, thus clipping (crushing) the blacks. In that case, you would not be able to see the black imbalance, because they are ALL too low - and thus being clipped. It almost seems as if part of the initial setup of the camera was not properly performed.

The clip of the boy eating ice cream was definitely NOT this way.

Don't know what your solution is. Maybe when more people post clips from US cameras, you might have some recourse. The ultimate objective is to show all the grey scale chips - with no color.
Old February 17th, 2006, 08:34 AM   #184
Major Player

David, you see color in chartmanual? I just don't see it. Or are you saying you see too much black?

Maybe it's possible the print out is to blame.

I should try with the lens cap on then.
Old February 17th, 2006, 09:37 AM   #185
Trustee

Joseph - I just want to say great work on sharing all your time performing crazy tests and posting samples...

I want to say I've been reading about this camera for a while, the sample footage of the baby I don't believe to have originated from the HD1. Also, I read on steves-forums.com that the fujiwara.wmv was also not shot with the HD1 camera.

On this japanese site, http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/do...5/zooma244.htm I found extensive stills and some sample video which for sure was shot with the HD1.

I took me a long time to read through all these posts and it's funny to see everyone's different views on this cam. For the price and size of the camera you seriously can not go wrong. I'm an original owner of the C4, soon to be C6 (way improved quality) and likely will jump on the HD1 bandwagon just for cheap kicks and thrills. I REALLY REALLY can't wait to snowboard down a mountain with the camera mounted to my snowboard... or clutched tightly in my hand. NO the quality doesn't compare to a 3 CCD HD cam, but who was asking it to? There's no debate there and there shouldn't be.

I'm also really excited to see some of this footage downrezzed to SD 16:9 and put through some post for potential film making... I said potential, everyone relax ; )

Anyway I look forward to watching more clips... and look forward to some more low light shots, like a room with just a table lamp in it at 50 or 100 ISO. The C4 sucked at this, the C6 is better - I wonder about the HD1.

P.S. Download the ESM07.mov file from that Japanese site... tell me this little camera doesn't ROCK!

By the way, anyone know how the hell to get this footage to play smooth on a P2.8GHz 512MB ram??? What's up with that?

Last edited by Dennis Hingsberg; February 17th, 2006 at 10:15 AM.
Old February 17th, 2006, 09:53 AM   #186
Trustee

Okay, for those who refuse to read japanese I'm posting a direct link to a quicktime file which kick absolute ass... it's really the best clip I've seen so far. Maybe the people running the camera adjusted modes - who knows but either way take a look and post your feedback:

www.starcentral.ca/dvinfo/ezsm07.mov on full T1 1.54Mbps connection

Right click and select "save as" - the file is 54MB
Old February 17th, 2006, 11:27 AM   #187
Major Player

Joseph,

That frame I sent you from my JVC is pretty much what it should be. If you see color on the chart, your monitor is wrong.
Old February 17th, 2006, 12:01 PM   #188
New Boot

Slow SD Cards?

I didn't see it addressed in this thread, so apologies if it has already been asked, but has anyone (Joseph?) tried using slow speed SD cards in the HD1? I know that based on the advertised data rates it should work, but I am wondering how that translates into real life.

In particular, I am wondering if the slow Sandisk (blue) SD cards will work (i.e., the non-Ultra and the non-Extreme cards). Sandisk has slashed their prices, and two 2GB cards can be had for around $100.

I don't mind if it is slow to download the clips to my computer (I can stick them in and then go grab myself a sndwich) and I don't care about burst still performance.

I just wanted to be able to record continuously in Hi-Def at the highest bit rate (i.e., fill up the entire 2GB without skips or stops). Does anyone know if this is possible with the blue Sandisk?

Thanks!
Old February 17th, 2006, 12:22 PM   #189
New Boot

Dennis Hingsberg, now i'm confused.

At first sight, i really like the sampled you linked. I have to do more tests, like looking for noise, pixelation etc..but i like the sample, especially closeups.

The japanese review seems to be very interesting, but using an online traductor for japanese - english and then trying to translate it to spanish, i can't understand too many info from it.

Could somebody summarize the review for me please?
just general conclusions....

I can't believe the differences between this sample an joseph's ones.
Perhaps it's only a low light factor, or the beauty of the images that distracts me, but subjectively is like night and day to me.

About the software, VLC works better for me, quicktime can't process the video without freezing in my laptop but VLC goes flawless.
Old February 17th, 2006, 01:12 PM   #190
Major Player

Justin,

Wrongo!

2GB $73.
Old February 17th, 2006, 01:16 PM   #191
Major Player

Justin,

Pardon! I just re-read. Do you mean two 2gb cards for $100? That's better than I've seen.
Old February 17th, 2006, 01:19 PM   #192
New Boot

Yep, I meant two cards for a total of 4GB. Dell has them for $64 each, and there is a $25 off $150 coupon (which you can use since the regular price of two cards is over $150) floating around. I think that's a pretty solid deal, but not if I can't use it in the HD1 (which I am planning on pre-ordering).
Old February 17th, 2006, 01:22 PM   #193
Trustee

So do you need high speed cards for the HD1 or not? I haven't read the answer to that... that or I'm blind a bit.
Old February 17th, 2006, 02:16 PM   #194
Major Player

Dennis, that clip looks awesome. That camera from this camera??

Yes, it is funny how people can see the same clip and one person will think it's pretty good and another will thinks it is unwatchable ;)

I will try some low light clips soon.

--- Joseph
Old February 17th, 2006, 02:19 PM   #195
Major Player

Justin, if the card can do a MB a second it should work. I don't have a low speed card to test on. My ultraII does 9-10MB a second.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)