DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/mpg4-sanyo-xacti-all-models/)
-   -   Sanyo HD1 footage! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/mpg4-sanyo-xacti-all-models/58228-sanyo-hd1-footage.html)

Hse Kha January 15th, 2006 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Evans
My player will not play this file, Media Player says not support file type.

Ron Evans

Same Here.

How are you guys playing this clip??? I have the latest WMP10 with SP2 and nothing!

What is the codec of the video?

Lynne Whelden January 15th, 2006 08:31 AM

March

I read somewhere that it will be available in March. Since we can't convince folks that HD is HD no matter what wrapper it comes in (who would have dared to think that 4 years ago?), we'll just have to start using it and let folks get on board later.

Dan Euritt January 15th, 2006 11:00 AM

like i said before, it's the windows media format, however, it's been encoded at an insanely high bitrate, something like 8 mbps, which is a comparable bitrate to the mpeg2 used for dvd's.

the difference is, and the reason that it probably won't play on your computers, is because these new codecs require a lot of decoding horsepower, aka, a fast modern computer... for instance, the windows media 10 software player recommended requirements are: "Video card with 256 MB of RAM or higher and DirectX 9.0b or later generation".

the playback framerate that i was seeing with the test clip in this thread was maybe 1 fps, lol, on the ancient amd 2100(?) cpu that i have.

Chris Hurd January 15th, 2006 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynne Whelden
How about giving this camera its own category?

If there's enough demand for it (such as, a bunch of folks asking for it) and enough existing threads (I don't start empty fora, ten or twenty threads are usually required) then sure I'll add one.

By the way, this topic has been moved from the HVX board to the general HD acquisition forum.

Holger Leonhard January 15th, 2006 11:22 AM

My system only was able to see the last seconds of the clip (the boy with the ice cream) - I guess there is something wrong with the file.
Anyway, The cam may look like a toy but it isnīt!
My Inpression: slight artifacts (I guess a big part comes from the additional compression to .wmv), neutral colors, surprisingly good resolution and the DOF is nice - Iīd like to know on what Iris and focal length the shot was done. The Imager is 1/2.5'' and therefore a bit larger than all other prosumer cams, maybe this has has an relatively strong effect to the DOF.
I played around with color correction and found some fine results to give a filmic look.
Maybe a nice intermediate camera to prepare serious work. For 800 $ itīs amazing! I guess on a controlled set with proper lighting you can get very good results with this "toy".
I'm curious to see some low light footage.

Hse Kha January 15th, 2006 12:14 PM

Chris - You sure you won't reconsider a new section for this toy??? ;) I am sure it will have many pro applications too, as Kaku mentioned above. Besides the Sony HC1 is a consumer camera too and that has its own section! I think a lot of people are interested (curious?) about this Sanyo camera and it would be nice to have a seperate albeit small section dedicated to this camera. Or maybe even a section called "other HD cameras", so that if other new consumer HD camcorders are announced they can be discussed there.

Ron Evans January 15th, 2006 02:20 PM

I still can't play this file. I get a message that says the file format does not match the file extension. My system is a dual core AMD X2 4200, 2G of RAM and a 256M X700 video card. What version of Media player are you running mine is the latest version 10 with the latest Direct X 9.

Ron Evans

Steev Dinkins January 15th, 2006 02:22 PM

I'm surprised Windows users can't view the file. I'm on a Mac (Quad G5), using Flip4Mac to view it, and it plays in QuickTime Player pretty well. I converted it to DVCPRO HD format to view it easier.

Holger Leonhard January 15th, 2006 02:29 PM

I checked the footage if there is real resolution gain over PAL: Yes, is is!
If you take a still from the 720p footage, downrez it to PAL (720 x 576) and back to 1280 x 720 there is a very clear difference. So the optical system really captures the resolution.

The footage on

http://images.akihabaranews.com/news...1/SANY0001.MP4

shows an interresting thing - the unsharp background is very noisy, but it is a kind of soft noise that looks more like film grain then harsh, digital noise.

But I am dissapointed the EU version also only shots 30p, no 25 p :-(

Les Dit January 15th, 2006 03:42 PM

potential for hires 720p here

The resolution may be higher than some of the currently debated HD cams.
Crazy?
Well, it's getting the image from a five megapixel sensor, using all of it, not a cropped part of it. They don't need to be shy about the pixel count like the other HD cams ( HVX ;)
They filter this 5 MP image down to the 720p size. The filter is not great quality, as evidenced by the aliasing on the ice cream boys hat, but it's possible that was in combination with the debayer filter as well.

I'm very aware that resolution is just one of many features that make a device 'pro' ready. It's not a pro camera by any means.

If I was a betting man, I'd say it's going to eclipse some of the cams in resolution at least. And it weighs as much as a battery for the other cams. Nice little key chain cam.

-Les

Matt Vanecek January 15th, 2006 04:47 PM

Unable to play the WMV

I cannot play the WMV file in WMP, either. My machine is as up-to-date as the latest MS updates, with plenty of horsepower and memory, etc. Either the Mac encoder puts something weird in the WMV file produced, or the Web host is sending the file with an incorrect mime type (e.g., mysite.verizon.net, if you try to open a WMV in IE, will send the file as text or some such crap).

Thanks,
matt

Kurth Bousman January 15th, 2006 06:33 PM

I tried with safari and firefox but couldn't get it playing. I've also got flip4mac on a 1.5g pwb. Well , I did get a frame - the baby appeared to be out of focus and focus , on the frame appeared to be at infinity. It's the future and the next 3 years , while the market changes to hd ,will be sooo much fun. Ever since I saw the danish movie , The Celebration , I thought there's incredible filmic possibilities for minicams. If Sanyo , which is no market leader to speak of , is releasing this cam now , we can expect the same hd flash drive cameras from at least two big boys , obviously jvc will be one , in the next 6 months , and probably of higher quality. For one , the Sanyos' ergonomics don't appeal to me. I'm hoping Sony will release one in their traditional designs or , what would be cool is Pany releasing the super 8 inspired one we saw in mockups. If 35 years ago , when super 8 cost 5 bucks a throw , someone told me that in I'd be able to record better than super 8 quality and all the cartridges would be free, before I kicked in the towel , I'd have been a very happy camper. Kurth

William Hohauser January 15th, 2006 08:39 PM

It plays with the most recent Flip4Mac update. However my home computer, a G4 imac, could only manage the file in a continuous frame-by-frame at best. So I was able to look at the footage in slow motion. Two notes:

1) Both the clarity and color are very impressive. What sort of image element is being used here?

2) Both shots were in the shade. It would be interesting to see how the camera performs under more direct sunlight.

Ainslie Davies January 15th, 2006 09:10 PM

The clip plays perfectly on my WMP10 with my little 2.8ghz celeron stretched all the way to 3.4ghz. Plus my video card is currently not in my PC so i'm getting perfect playback through a celeron with on-board graphics! Maybe I have some random codec stashed away in there!

The footage is very impressive! Can we be sure its from that lil' Sanyo?

Jung Kyu January 15th, 2006 09:28 PM

the soruce footage came from this website... you need to login to download..

yes~ this footage is really sanyo Xacti DMX-HD1

http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/article...060112/112280/