Sanyo HD1 footage! - Page 21 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

(MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)
A compact 720p MPEG4 digital media camera recording to SD Card.

Old February 23rd, 2006, 08:40 PM   #301
Inner Circle

Try putting a HC1, or HD10 in your pocket.

It will be fun for these people, and they can produce some nice things on DVD (lets face it, the compression on HDTV aren't that great either). Join in the spirit, even home videos on cheap mini-DV cameras benefit from 35mm DOF, especially with something like a large Canon zoom lens (slr adaptor on your camera, what camera? ;).
Old February 24th, 2006, 06:55 AM   #302
HDV Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Morellini
I've been wondering that too, it would be a logical way to go, though camera standard support is not about logic that suits the customer. I posted an news article that indicated that the new camera would have both 720p and 1080i support, like the Ambarella chip, but it could be dual HDV support. But where is the pro version?
I sure hope there is an HD10 replacement because the HD100 I find it too big for travel. and for HD I really like/need AF. I'd take an HD10B with better controls and 12-bit DSP.

Still, as soon as I find a place with a 30-day trial, I'll try the Sanyo.
Old February 24th, 2006, 01:55 PM   #303
Major Player

Joseph,

are you in PAL land - if so do you have any ideas for how to create a PAL DVD from the 30p footage?

Graham
Old February 24th, 2006, 02:20 PM   #304
Major Player

No, sorry, I am in NTSC land. I would think editing programs like VEGAS would allow output to PAL, but I can't say I have ever checked it out.
Old February 24th, 2006, 02:45 PM   #305
Major Player

I'm looking in the manual and it says on page 133 that you can:

'Specify the type of image signal that is output from your camera's USB/AV terminal or component terminal..'

It goes on to talk about how you can switch between PAL and NTSC, among other things.

I wonder does this mean you can capture 25p MPEG4?

Sounds too good to be true.

Last edited by Graham Jones; February 24th, 2006 at 04:18 PM.
Old February 24th, 2006, 04:55 PM   #306
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Jones Senior
Joseph,

are you in PAL land - if so do you have any ideas for how to create a PAL DVD from the 30p footage?

Graham
A lot of TVs ship with an auto NTSC mode now, that helps a bit, if setup right (under saturation in DVD player/TV, which is the one causing it). But yes DVD players can play back the footage on PAL, but say on a cheap player like mine, it comes out dull, jagged, jumpy, and or if it was transcoded from NTSC in the first place you get all these funny little double images etc from the Pull down.

I think I saw one of the Washington monuments in the background of one of Joseph's clips.
Old February 24th, 2006, 05:01 PM   #307
Major Player

Yes, the Washington monument in NTSC ;) The video I took near the water was down the river from Washington DC.
Old February 24th, 2006, 05:47 PM   #308
Major Player

Does anyone have more information about the Samsung SC-HDX15, then just some simple specs?
Old February 25th, 2006, 04:37 AM   #309
Inner Circle

Look at the links I posted on the news forum threads, there are people talking about them in some forums.

We don't really need h264, if only the makers had released 50-100Mb/s Mpeg2 (even 35Mb/s Mpeg4) in the last year or two. Pro-sumer HD cameras are not like the 8 Mp Mpeg4 camera (like JVC did years ago).

Thanks

Wayne.
Old February 25th, 2006, 08:04 AM   #310
Regular Crew

Pal

Graham,
I am using Apple hardware.
I put (drag and drop) all the Sanyo, Joseph & Co mp4 Clips into Imovie HD 5 (720p setting), exported the project to IDVD (Pal setting), and I got a playable PAL SD DVD (1 hour later on my PB G4 1.5). The quality is comparable to regular DVDs.
Here are the VOB features : mpeg-2, 720x576, 8000 kbps, 25 fps.

Luc-Henri

Last edited by Luc-Henri Barthelemy; February 25th, 2006 at 10:41 AM.
Old February 25th, 2006, 08:16 AM   #311
Major Player

Thanks Wayne, i'll check it out.
Old February 25th, 2006, 08:30 AM   #312
Major Player

Graham, I tried a clip with the setting in Pal mode and you get the same NTSC MP4 clip. This option is just for analog playback output from the camera to a TV. When they say USB it is because the USB and the AV are the same port. It is called the USB/AV port on the base.
Old February 25th, 2006, 02:52 PM   #313
Regular Crew

Steve's Review

Check out www.stevesdigicams.com for Steve's review of the HD1. He has always liked the Sanyos ("a blast to use") and seems to have advanced his usually deliberate pace of "first looks" etc. I find his sample shots (mostly still) particularly useful because he shoots the same subjects with each camera.
Old February 25th, 2006, 05:09 PM   #314
Major Player

Thanks Luc-Henri & Joseph - really appreciate your checking that out.

I work with PCs right now.

I'll hear about software that will forge a good PAL output, I'm sure.

Anybody have any ideas, please speak up.

Last edited by Graham Jones; February 25th, 2006 at 06:19 PM.
Old February 25th, 2006, 05:14 PM   #315
Major Player

Just reading that review at Steves Digicams.

"The HD1 incorporates a digital image stabilizer that compensates for distracting up-and-down or side-to-side camera movement, keeping your subject steady and easy to follow. It accurately distinguishes between unintentional camera shake and deliberate camera movement. This handy feature operates in both wide-angle and telephoto modes, giving every shot a solid, professional-looking feel."

I am usually very dismissive of OIS but perhaps it has application here. That said, I was playing with a C5 or a C6 in Dixons today, to get a rough idea what shooting with one of these Xacti's is like, and I must say that I didn't find keeping it steady difficult at all. I found the lightweight factor made keeping it steady very easy - although it is definitely a two-handed business, in my opinion, the other hand on the monitor...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > And Now, For Something Completely Different... > The Archives > (MPG4) Sanyo Xacti (all models)